Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone own a Bull Terrier?

bullylovver
June 2nd, 2005, 10:22 PM
Hello!
I plan on getting a Bull Terrier when i'm out of university,and i'm wondering those of you who have Bull Terriers,what have you experienced training them,etc..all that stuff.I have researched very well,and i already have a breeder in mind.The breeder has a website incase any of you are interested.
thanks! :) I love the breed,and im looking forward to get my bullies :D
The only thing im worried about is these d**n breed bans :mad:

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
So glad to hear you're doing all your research. Do you mean English Bull Terriers, or Staffordshire?

I'd like to see the breeder's website!:)

mona_b
June 3rd, 2005, 09:47 AM
I too am glad you are doing alot of research.

I'm guessing Bull Terrier?

I too would like to see this breeders website.

Do you know what to look for in a reputable breeder?What about a Bull Terrier Rescue?

Beaglemom
June 3rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
I love Bull Terriers! I would love to see the website of the breeder that you are considering as well. They are a breed that I have considered owning myself but have not been able to as of yet, maybe some day.

From what I understand of the ban, English Bull Terriers, as the one in the picture above, is not included in the ban.

The English Bull Terrier has come a long way since its days in the dog fight ring. They are not as aggressive as they once were. Breeders have bred them to be much more friendly. They are known as the clowns of the dog breeds. Great dogs for the right person. Not typically for your first time dog owner though. Males tend to still be aggressive towards other males and must therefore be socialized well. They will not back down from a fight and the outcome is not usually good for the opponent. They need obedience training early.

I'm glad that you are doing your research. Good luck in your search.

Lissa
June 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
I love Enlgish Bull Terrier as well! They were my dream dog as well, that is until Dodger came into my life! I think they are gorgeous looking dog's but everyone in my family thinks there are ugly!
My grand-father had a Bull Terrier in his youth - the stories I heard about him really intrigued me and I've since fallen in love with the breed

A couple of years ago a Bull Terrier was at the humane society but I wasn't in any position to own a dog at the time and I figured they wanted someone experience with the breed. She was a beauty though and was adopted VERY quickly!

I would definately look into breed rescues before buying from a breeder, sometimes the perfect gem does in fact come along!

I would also love to see the breeder's website!

This is a breeder's site I used to visit and admire their bull terriers (it was the closest breeder to home I could find!) At the time I wasn't aware of how careful you have to look for a reputable breeder. But you can check it out if you want and tell me what you think: http://www.bullovers.com/
(If you click on the "my bull lovers dog" icon then you can read what some people have said about living with a bull terrier!)

Melissa

P.S I would also be concerned about how some people will react to seeing a Bull Terrier - I think any bully dog is going to be perceived as a threat the way things are going!

bullylovver
June 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
Yes i know everything about reputable breeders,and im very aware of BYB's and puppy mills,,,i will not buy from a Pet Store.
I'm also considering rescuing a English Bull Terrier,but their not very common in shelters...but if i do find one,i'll definently be interested :thumbs up Both my dogs right now are rescues,and their the most wonderful dogs i've ever had
Heres the breeder,they are called KEM Bull Terriers,and are located in Cloverdale,B.C
http://www.itsmysite.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=31&domain=1&webdir=kem

Yeah i know theyre not really included in bans,but the Ontario one does..and i dont plan on living there anyways ;)

Beaglemom
June 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Lissa, I used to check out that website all the time too! As well as some others in Ontario that I can't think of at the moment.

Bullyluvver, I don't believe that the Bull Terrier is included in the Ontario ban. As far as I know, they are not one of the banned breeds here.

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 11:00 AM
my mom owned a bull terried that was an american champ.

was he ever a sweety, as lazy as lazy could be.

and I dont think I ever saw that dog upset. he was great

Eleni

bullylovver
June 3rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
P.S I would also be concerned about how some people will react to seeing a Bull Terrier - I think any bully dog is going to be perceived as a threat the way things are going!
I'm a little concerned,but lots of people dont reconize(spll?) that breed,of they'll say its that sports guys old dog,and the target dog!,i doubt people will call a bull terrier a pit bull.Hopefully all this banning non-sense will be gone,i still have 3 more years of highschool,then i'm probably going to Law School,so i still have a few more years to go,unless my parents alow me to get a third ;)