Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Long eared dog owners

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
To all the long eared dog owners bassets, cockers, hounds etc How exactly to you clean your dogs ears I have heard that long eared dog owners clean their ears everyday otherwise they get infected and the dog can go deaf. Just wondering what the cleaning the ears process involves. :)

levimh
June 2nd, 2005, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure if Levi's ears would be classified as long, but i'll reply anyway. :)

I give Levi a bath every app. 1.5-2 months - maybe longer if he's not stinky or dirty. When I do give him a bath, that's when I wash his ears. I'm scared about going too far down, so I just stick the washcloth in and move it around a bit, but I don't go far down. Unless there was a lot of visible dirt, I didn't know ear-washing was necessary... :confused:

BMDLuver
June 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
I clean my dogs ears out once a week. I just use a product specifically for ear washing. I put the solution in, smush it around in the ear giving a good rub then take a tissue and clean any guck that is visible. I definitely do not dig into the ear as it can cause harm. Both my dogs have floppy hairy ears so they would get infections if I didn't clean them weekly.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 09:25 PM
I use "Vet Solutions". You're supposed to flush the ears with it, but I just soak a kleenex (one that won't fall apart) with the solution and go inside the ear-- not too far, about as far as you can see inside without super struggling.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 2nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Thank you I am actually looking forward to this, sitting on the couch watching desperate housewives and grays anatomy and cleaning my dogs ears.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
I don't think it's something you can take your eyes off too much... And it doesn't take too long either. Maybe during the commercials?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 2nd, 2005, 10:40 PM
Okay during the commercials is fine, is all reruns now anyway.

mafiaprincess
June 3rd, 2005, 12:30 AM
I have a cocker.

She's bathed about weekly and conditioned at the same time. Her hair needs about as much care as an afghan's it seems.

I have a solution from the vet in a lil dropper bottle. I drop in two drops to each ear massage them for a few minutes, she shakes her head, loose ear wax flies out onto her ears, and it is cleaned off with a little more solution, and a cotton pad.

Dogastrophe
June 3rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
We've found that the ear solution on a good cosmetic pad works well for doing the outer section of the ear. Some pads we tried left cotton in the ear / stuck to hair, which we then had to try to get out. The pads that hold together seem to work better. For cleaning the inner part we put a couple of drops in the ear and massage the base of the ear.

One of our dogs has a lot of ear hair, which we periodically remove. It seems to keep the wax buildup down.

Beaglemom
June 3rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
My beagle has the long ears. I use an ear cleaner that I got from the vets. I just squeeze some in, massage the ear for a little bit and then I use cotton balls to clean them out until the cotton ball comes out clean. I do this about once a week or so.

Expect some head shaking when you put the solution in because most dogs will do this.

I've never had a problem with ear infections with my beagle. Many people have told me that beagles are notorious for ear infections because of their long ears, but Misty has never had one in her 9 years. (Knock on wood!)

levimh
June 3rd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Just to be sure, how do you know if a dog has an ear infection?

nymph
June 3rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
I moist my cotton pad and just wipe what I can see in Diego's ears. I usually clean his ears once a week.

Beaglemom
June 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Just to be sure, how do you know if a dog has an ear infection?

This is from
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/1-np/49-pet-ear-infections.htm

Signs of an ear infection:
These are the signs of an ear infection in your dog or cat:

Pet shakes head or holds it to one side.
Pet scratches or rubs ears or rubs its head against furniture or carpet.
There is a yellow, brown or black discharge in one or both ears.
Ears smell bad or are tender or red.

raingirl
June 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
We clean Odin's ears 2-3 times a week. 1-2 times just with a dry tissue to get away any buildup, then once a week with a solution. Few drops in, massage, let him shake, wipe it out. What I use is a cotton ball in a tissue (you know...how you make little ghosts at halloween) and I find it is easier to manouver than a cotton ball by itself or a tissue that falls apart on my finger.

kandy
June 3rd, 2005, 11:47 AM
I cleaned Lacey's ears at least once a week - also with "Vet Solutions". I double a paper towel, and wet a section of the towel. I wrap the towel around my index finger, and rub out the ear. I insert my finger up to the second knuckle (about 1 3/4 inches). My vet does it with a q-tip and she goes alot deeper than I do - but I am too worried about going too deep if I use a q-tip. With my mom's rotti, she was very prone to ear infections (of course, she had ear canals that you could drive a semi through LOL) so she got drops put in her ears regularly. She must've known that the drops helped her ears because she would tilt her head and sit very still while you put them in and massaged the ear. I don't remember my mom ever actually cleaning Koda's ears, just putting the drops in. Lacey was the first dog I had that I needed to clean the ears.

Cactus Flower
June 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
LOL- I just have to say that I thought the title of this thread meant it was for dog owners that have long ears :D .

Lissa
June 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
Dodger, my hound has floppy ears and seems to be cursed with loads of wax production :) !
When I asked the vet how to clean his ears she took a cotton ball, drenched it with ear cleaning solution and shoved it in Dodger's ear and massaged it, she also squirted a bit more solution in his ear. She explained that a dog's ear canal is L shaped so drenching the inside of the ear and massaging it is very important. She said to try cleaning Dodger's ears every 2 weeks.
I bought the cleaning solution from the vet but the next day Dodger had lost hair on the ear she cleaned and it's just now started to grow back. So I have been diluting the ear cleaning solution and it has since been fine.

But Dodger still shakes his head repeatedly and scratches his ears more then I would like! I've started giving him so yogurt which I hope helps!

Melissa

Loraxp
June 4th, 2005, 01:11 PM
When I groom dogs I ALWAYS do their ears.

Some dogs require their ears to be plucked before the actual cleansing. I use "ear powder" to make the hairs more grip-able, then pull it out with my fingers. If the dog already has an infection or ear mites then the plucking could be uncomfortable, but 98% of the time the dog is comfortable throught he process. Plucking the ear hair allows more air circulation and less chance of yeast infection - all good! Do not pluck out a ton of hair though, as you may cause a leasion.

After plucking I cleanse the ear with "ear solution". I squirt in some and massage the ear then let the dog shake it's head. I use cotton make-up pads to twist in the ear and rub around the visible portion. Finally I pull out a q-tip and get all of the nooks-and-crannies.

Yeast infections stink and look yellowy-brown. This requires cleaning approx. every-other day until it is cleared up. then perhaps once a week. If this goes well and little guck is found you can reduce it further... but don't push your luck or another yeasty surprise may occur!

Ear mites look like coffee grounds, and cause the dog to scratch a lot and shake their heads. These can usually be treated with mineral oil (it suffocates the little suckers). Look it up on the net for details... I can't remember specifics.

NutmegHF
June 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM
My Percy.. ( bassethound ) needs his ears done regularly.. I use 50/50 mix of vinegar & water.. for cleaning.. if I suspect something is wrong.. I switch to olive oil with a few drops of iodine.. for anything full blown.. his " Revolution " heartworm medication takes care of mites.. if present as well protecting him from heartworm..fleas..ticks..

Using a large cotton ball wrapped on my finger.. or cosmetic pad..

Nutmeg

ILoveMutts!
June 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
My dog, who hasn't very long ears, shakes his head all the time. He also scratches his ears and rubs his head on the sofa. I took him to the vet but he said his ears were perfectly clean and healthy. :confused: I have never cleaned them.

MollysMommy
June 6th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Is a poodle considered to have long ears? Should I be cleaning her ears out?

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Poodles are known to have a lot of ear problems, and do have long ears, so it's probably good to get your dog used to cleaning the ears out at least once a week.

BeagleMum
June 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Spencer is a beagle and my vet told me not to clean his ears unless you can see dirt in there. She also told me never to squirt the solution right into the ear. That is what causes infections because you can never get it all out. I know that when I got him groomed, his ears were bugging him for weeks after they had done them.

He is now 6 months old and only ever had his ears cleaned twice. Usually after a bath I will use the damp towel to wipe them out but other than that I try to avoid touching his ears. They are always really clean.