Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hitting your pets

happycats
June 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
Just wanted to know what you guys think, Is it OK to smack your pets to train them??
I wanted to see if this poll differs much from the spanking poll.

I'm not talking about a "beating" just a swat when they are bad.

glasslass
June 2nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
I swatted my own leg with a rolled up newspaper! He didn't like that at all! Mostly the noise to get his attention.

CyberKitten
June 2nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
I NEVER ever hit my pets - they just don't get it. It only scares them! and is not effective.

melanie
June 2nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
absolutly NO. i would never hit my baby (yes i put charlie in the corner, and often lead her there, but no i have never ever hit her).

if i ever caught anyone hitting my dog, or any other dog for that matter i would give them a belting and see how they like it. a plumber once swatted at charlie and got a good growl out of her :angel: , see even she knows its not right.

i dont think you can communicate with a dog by hitting it, it will just be fearful, not learn. i have heard some say 'you msut break a dogs spirit to get a good dog' and often these ppl do so by abusing their animals through physical violence and end up with sad and fearful dogs.

lifes to short to do thsoe sort of things.....

Mockingcat
June 2nd, 2005, 07:54 PM
I would never hit my pets because they don't understand the reasoning behind it. Children can be explained WHY they're being spanked, but you can't explain that to an animal.

Well, I take that back. I swatted my dog once... she was trying to pick up a snake, was ignoring me and I was panicked and swatted her. It surprised the heck out of her, but didn't hurt her.

twodogsandacat
June 2nd, 2005, 08:13 PM
No but I swear I have wanted to especially early on. The problem is that it is a slippery slope. Do it once for reason A and then you’ll find reasons B thru Z are a lot easier to find.

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
nope no hitting here, raising my voice a little is efective enough

iRONKNiGHT
June 2nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
What hit a Kutie Kitty? HELL NO!! in fact when Trixy does something bad! wait she never does anything bad, whatever so called "bad stuff" she does is good and i Reward her with treats! yeah more treats!!!!!!!!Destory Kitty Destoryyyyy!!

Safyre
June 2nd, 2005, 08:28 PM
Nope, i would never hit my dog
I experienced something very sad yesterday. Casey, this lil JRT gets away from his owners all the time. This is the dog that Justice retrieves for us, cuz I won't run after the JRT (fast lil suckers) Anyways, we got Casey yesterday, and Zana came up and went to smack Casey when he was in my arms, I grabbed her hand as she swong and told her that that is wron,g teaches him nothing but to be afraid of her. The grandma (Who has custody) came up and took Casey from me, smacked him and told me "he respects me, he's scared of me!" and walked away.
ARGH! This is the dog I Know I will end up fostering at some point... they get rid of any animal within 6-12 mnths of having it.

Writing4Fun
June 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Hitting teaches absolutely nothing, except to give them an excuse to turn on you one day in the future when they've had enough of the hitting. A woman down the street has two larger dogs - a cattle dog cross and a mastiff cross, both of whom are in the 4-6 year old range, I believe. I was at the bottom of my driveway with Phoebe (on-leash, of course) waiting for the school bus. This woman came down the street with both dogs on-leash, and a wagon-load of kids in towe. Well, the bigger of the two dogs saw Phoebe and started pulling the owner almost completely off her feet, trying to come visit Phoebe. Meanwhile, I had my 14 month old puppy in a polite sit/wait by my side. Yeah, she was interested in these other dogs, but I told her to sit, so she did. The mastiff cross, on the other hand, was dragging her owner closer and closer. What did the owner do? Dropped the handle to the wagon, took the end of the leather leash in her now free hand and swatted the dog across the face three times with it! What an interesting training technique. :rolleyes: It didn't work, either, because all the dog did was run around behind her (so that leash is now wrapped around her legs) and continued to come towards Phoebe. I finally decided to save this dog from another beating by removing the source of her temptation and taking Phoebe back up our driveway so the woman could walk on in peace. Yeah, hitting a dog is a great way to train them ... NOT! :mad:

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Nope hands off.

Daisy's Owner
June 2nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Nope. Don't hit Daisy either.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 09:52 PM
I said yes because I do get physical. I don't hit so much as grab. I grab my doggies when they're doing terrible things. Like eating condoms off the street. Or when they fight with other dogs. Or when they snap at me or my boyfriend (just Jemma). Just the really crucial dangerous stuff.

Jackie467
June 3rd, 2005, 12:18 AM
I put no, because dogs don't understand hitting. There was one time that my step dad got physical with BJ, he didn't hit him but picked him up and shook him, it just scared him didn't hurt him. He did it because BJ was being protective of a bone and when he went to take it off him BJ bit him, hard and broke the skin pretty badly, a lot of blood. Now if you so much as say his name in a stern way when he has a bone he will drop it and walk away. That was the only time and I think it was warrented in that case.

Cactus Flower
June 3rd, 2005, 02:00 AM
I voted "no" because there wasn't a "heck no" option (not sure if the euphemism for Hades is allowed on the board, so will have to settle for "heck").

Writing4Fun, you sure run into some real winners, don't you? Arrgh! That woman!!!!!

happycats
June 3rd, 2005, 07:21 AM
I put no, because dogs don't understand hitting.

Don't want to offend, just asking a question, I want to keep this friendly, :D

Buuuuut, here goes :o

So it's OK to hit, if the individual involved understands why they are being hit??

mona_b
June 3rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Hitting teaches absolutely nothing, except to give them an excuse to turn on you one day in the future when they've had enough of the hitting.

Exactly.

I say a definate NO NEVER.

nymph
June 3rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
ABSOLUTELY NOT! They don't understand and they can't reason, what's the point?

jessi76
June 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
just wanted to chime in and say, my own personal opinion is, it is NEVER "okay" to strike an animal.

NEVER.

nymph
June 3rd, 2005, 09:40 AM
So it's OK to hit, if the individual involved understands why they are being hit??

I think so, but not in an abusive way, like a whack on the bum kinda hit.

Isisgoddess
June 3rd, 2005, 10:06 AM
I don't hit my cats at all and I won't allow anyone else to either. I find that a sharp yell, loud clap or hitting a table, door etc. is sufficient. I just want to startle them so they know that they did something wrong. I don't find it necessary to beat them. I want a pet that is happy when I lift my hand because they hope I will pet them, not one that cringes with fear every time I lift my hand because they think I will strike them.

Princesss04
June 3rd, 2005, 10:20 AM
I do not think it is right to hit my pets. I will not say that I have not before because Meater had a bottle of oil and would not drop it so I patted him on the butt but that was the only time and never again. He just scared me and he would not listen. :evil: I felt so bad afterwards! :o You all prolly think I am awful! :o I use a loud vocie with Meater and Chino and the water bottle with the kittens. :D :pawprint:

kandy
June 3rd, 2005, 12:42 PM
I voted no. Hitting a dog just makes them fearful of you or anyone who might raise their hand while close to the dog. I find that for Hazel, a loud clap and a "NO" gets her attention real quick. The only time I have ever hit a dog is when a dane attacked my belgium shepard. The dane wouldn't let go, and it was ripping Ceasar's ear off, so I kicked it - hard!

And - spanking a kid is alot different than hitting a dog - you can tell the kid why they are being spanked. I know that it's not a popular opinion these days, but I don't buy into the no corporal punishment thing. And there is a big difference between abuse and discipline. I know firsthand!

Copper'sMom
June 3rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Absolutely NO!! As other people have mentioned, the dog doesn't understand why you are hurting him/her!! And the only reason most people hit their pets is out of their own frustration. :mad:

BeagleMum
June 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Amazing how it is ok to hit kids but not animals...

I voted no on both because it is too easy for someone to get angry and a spank turns into something way more. Scary thought...

charoscoe
June 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
No, I don't agree with hitting, as everyone has already said - they don't understand.

When we need to make a point we use either a down stay - when Roscoe's getting out of hand (we think he has doggie A.D.D.) or we use a squirt bottle. The water bottle works wonders, he's not afraid of it but he knows that if it comes out of the cupboard he needs to settle down. He also likes to drink from it!

Princesss04
June 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM
We always say we are going to put Chino on doggie Ridalin. LOL :D

Shamrock
June 3rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Most definitely no! ( on all counts - kids, animals)
It really just consitutes a venting of human anger and frustration, imo.

A personal example that I am not proud of:
I have difficulty grooming one of my persian cats. She doesnt like any kind of handling, despises being held for combing. It isnt an "optional" thing - she must be done - or she will begin to matt.
I'm patient with her, and try to be careful, protect myself, but over the years, she has scratched my arms and hands more times than I can recall. She is simply reacting as a cat does when they are upset - a cats defence.
She didnt ask for all this fur, she just has it, and as her caregiver, I have to help her with it. But it isnt easy.. its frustrating.

When I feel she is becoming too upset, I just leave off and resume later.
One day, she was clearly geting angry, so after a short time, I stopped - and then leaned in close with a bit of reassurance - soothing words to calm and comfort her that it was ok, I was all done.
She nailed me right in the face! I still had the comb in my hand, and I was so shocked, so taken aback at this display of temper.. that I conked her on the head with the metal comb - in retaliation ( not HARD..like a swift tap... but still - I'd hit my cat! :sad:
I felt totally ashamed of myself for giving in to my own frustration. What did this show her? Would it help "teach" her anything for next time? I felt guilty for reacting in such a childish manner.

Hitting is just wrong, and solves nothing, imo.

Jackie467
June 3rd, 2005, 04:33 PM

Yup, as long as you explain it and your not whailing away abusing them.

I'v seen on this site many times that children and animals should not be compared, and I believe that. If you want I can go threw and find it.

Luvmypit
June 3rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
We already have a post for spanking kids lets not use this post to make our points. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. I agree with Jacki Animals can't be compared to humans. We already raised this question in the spanking forum.... and the point was made... It doesn't have to be agreed with.

chico2
June 3rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
No,no,no....how could you possibly hit a little cat :sad:
I've sprayed them with water,or once Vinnie got a Blue-Jay and I used the hose for him to let go and he did and the bird was fine,Vinnie was a bit wet,but continued looking for his big catch :D
Otherwise a stern voice and a NO usually works...but they are such good kitties and only do what kitties do and I cannot blame them for that.

happycats
June 5th, 2005, 08:35 AM
We already have a post for spanking kids lets not use this post to make our points. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. I agree with Jacki Animals can't be compared to humans. We already raised this question in the spanking forum.... and the point was made... It doesn't have to be agreed with.

Please read the first post, this thread was created to compare it to the spanking post. :D