Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

collar or harness?

MollysMommy
June 2nd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Is it better to use a collar or a harness for toy dogs? Molly is around 6 lbs and she pulls on the leash like crazy. Teaching her to heel has been quite a chore that I have not yet been able to accomplish. She's learned everything else so quickly, so I'm wondering if a collar is not working. Also, I've heard everything from small dogs having problems with their back to problems with their legs if a harness isn't used. But the vet told me a collar would be fine...What do you guys suggest?

Shamrock
June 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Hi, I also have a six pound dog ( toy poodle) and have always used both, kind of alternated between collar and harness.
Recently my dog developed a disc problem that affected his neck.
I'ts ok for the time being - but I am strictly using a harness now and for the future, as per my vets advice.

MollysMommy
June 2nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
Molly's a toy poodle too! I'm just worried she's more susceptible to injury with a collar than with a harness.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
You could try a harness- all the little dogs I know have harnesses. (won't stop the pulling though.)

SnowDancer
June 2nd, 2005, 09:41 PM
I use a vest harness - really helps with the strain on my dog's neck - Eskimos are serious pullers.

Isisgoddess
June 2nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
I would use a harness. There is no chance of the dog (or in my case, cat) pulling its head out of the collar and there would be little strain on the neck only as the stress would be distributed and therefore not as intense.

iRONKNiGHT
June 3rd, 2005, 02:52 AM
That's like asking To be or Not to be...
come on HARNESS ;)

Dogastrophe
June 3rd, 2005, 09:06 AM
Depending on the length of the walk, we use a regular collar or a step-in harness for our Silky mix (about 10 pounds). The regular collar gets used for around the house / across the street bathroom breaks and when I am wandering the yard and want him close. The step in works great for long walks (though he still likes to scramble in it) and doesn't tend to cause the leash to catch under his legs like a leash and reg collar do.