Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Freaking about baby

Schwinn
June 2nd, 2005, 05:35 PM
Cheryl told me that she has the streptococcus bacteria, so that means she has to be on IV when she gives birth. As for how that affects her (other than the obvious), it doesn't really. However, I've been looking on the net, and it appears it could be quite nasty for Jr. She says it's no big deal, but I'm really nervous. I asked a few people around here, hoping I'd hear "Oh I had that", or "I had a friend with that", but no one actually knows anyone. So, anyone know anything about this, and how big the risks are? I'm freaking out here!

raingirl
June 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
As long as she has the antiobiotics during labour, she and the baby will be fine. The problem is only when they don't know about it and there are no antibiotics.

My sister got a group B staph infection when she was born (1985) and she is fine. She got jaundice and pneumonia, and was in hospital for 6 weeks, but no permanent damage.

Safyre
June 2nd, 2005, 06:24 PM
My friend jsut went throught his in January.
She tested Negative at 37 weeks, and when she had kaden at 41 weeks, she had a very serious form of Strep B and kaden was in the hosptial for just over a week. He had a lung infection.

As long as they have the IV's going as soon as she is in labour, there should be no problem. keep it in the back of your mind, but do not concentrate on it.

CyberKitten
June 2nd, 2005, 06:49 PM
I have actually delivered a baby in that situation - not my specialty but this was back when I was a lowly intern. Those parents - Bostonians who were relying on this young Canuck - were VERY nervous - but with an IV administering the antibiotics, mother and baby were just fine!!! I very much remember that, needless to say! Junior should be just fine!!! But if I were you, I would ask lots of questions of my obgyn - what antibiotics, how are they setting it up, etc. etc.

Princesss04
June 2nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
My SIL went thourgh this with Issac and I think he had to stay a little longer in the hospital to watch him but other than that he was fine and she was as well. Everything will be fine do not worry. When is the due date? :D

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
I had it with Ty,

he was c section, but I was assured that as long as i had iv if i went into labor all would be cool

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 2nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
My friend has now had three babies and had the strep B for all three. All were happy, healthy, no complications after the birth. Breath Schwinn, it's going to be ok.

twinmommy
June 2nd, 2005, 10:37 PM
Can I give you some advice, (I don't always follow it, but what the heck, right? :D ) especially with parenthood right around the corner?

Stay away from Google for medical advice and concerns.

You'll just freak yourself out more than anything--trust me!!(what? I said I didn't follow my own advice!!lol!! :D

Everything will be fine with the antibiotics as the others said.
Good luck and hugs to Cheryl :grouphug:

Schwinn
June 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Can I give you some advice, (I don't always follow it, but what the heck, right? :D ) especially with parenthood right around the corner?

Stay away from Google for medical advice and concerns.

Things I should have been told YESTERDAY! :D

I knew that even before I googled. Cheryl is like, "ah, it's no big deal". I, however, am the worrier.

She is due on June 20. I've had my cell phone on constantly for a week and a half. On Sunday I was doing bike patrol, which means I had on my regular gear plus a first aid kit and radio, and a patrol plate on my bike. Suddenly my cell phone rings, which I kept in my Camel Back (basically a water bottle in a back pack with a long straw). I looked like I was on fire trying to get my gear off to answer it! When I finally got to it, my step-father is on the other end saying, "We just wanted to see how fast you could answer your phone!" &$%*$!

I've also got it on at work, telling my family that I don't want it ringing before 6 pm, unless someone is going into labour or on fire. And if it's one of my bigger family members on fire, then they should wait, because they take longer to burn

She is due on June 20.

Oh, and thanks, guys! :grouphug:

Princesss04
June 3rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Wow that is super close! It is almost time for a new pets.ca baby! :D