Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are we pregnant?

anoli53
June 2nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Around the end of March or the first of April, my Taycha came in heat and did get together with a male dog. Only we aren't sure if they "got together" or not. The last few days, she has started whining lots...and I mean lots. She doesn't look to be pregnant but her nipples are protuding although I don't see any milk sacs. She is off her food somewhat, eats very little compared to her usual "wolfing" it down. We walk her regularly but the last few days, when she plays, she acts like it tires her out. She will lay down and pant like she has been running a 10 mile race. Also, she has urinated and all the rest in the floor when she usually always asked to go out. We consulted a vet but he was unable to give me any idea if she is pregnant or not. Has anyone had their dog act like this? I would appreciate anyone giving me their ideas. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

LavenderRott
June 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
The tieing of a male and female dog is pretty obvious.

If your vet has seen the dog and can't tell you if it is pregnant - find a new vet.

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
if there is any doubt in your mind you can spay her regardles, solving both the problem of not knowing and the problem of her geting pregnant in the first place

Eleni

Beaglemom
June 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
When you spoke to the vet was it over the phone or did you take her in to be examined? Any vet would be able to tell you if she is pregnant during an examination. The vet should have been able to feel the puppies at approx. the 30th day of pregnancy.

If she did get pregnant late March or early April, then you should be able to tell that she is pregnant. She would be giving birth soon as the gestation period for a dog is approx. 62 days.

If she isn't pregnant, there is something obviously distressing her. I would take her in to a vet and have her looked at.

Writing4Fun
June 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with everyone else. Take her to a new vet now! If she is pregnant, he should be able to tell you for certain. If she isn't pregnant, there is obviously something very wrong and she needs to be seen right away. How old is Taycha? Was this her first heat? Has she ever whelped before? Given her behaviour, I'd run to the vet, if I were you.

And this will give you a chance to speak to the vet about her spay...

anoli53
June 3rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Thank you to all that posted a reply. However, I would like to mention that spaying her is not in our plans. Her type of breed cross is very desirable with the farmers here for herding sheep and cattle. We have had several inquire to us about having her produce pups for working dogs. One farmer in particular is very good to his dogs and they are well cared for, well fed, strong, healthy and happy. We belong to a group of people that have cross breeds just like her. This type of cross breed have very good disposions, not a mean bone in any of the ones I have come across.

On another note, I did take her to a different vet who is as puzzled as the first. We will be taking her back on Tuesday for an ultrasound to see if there are any pups in there. I will post the results to let you all know.

Thanks again for your kind remarks!!

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM
ive you ever read on backyard breeders? or puppy mills?

you may find it an interesting read, since you are practising backyard breeding

Eleni

anoli53
June 3rd, 2005, 02:56 PM
I think you misunderstood my meaning. Just because we have not decided to have her spayed does not mean we plan to breed her. Far from it! Please don't get the impression we are doing that because she is part of the family. She is my "baby" and I would NEVER submit her to that kind of treatment!

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Thank you to all that posted a reply. However, I would like to mention that spaying her is not in our plans. Her type of breed cross is very desirable with the farmers here for herding sheep and cattle. We have had several inquire to us about having her produce pups for working dogs. One farmer in particular is very good to his dogs and they are well cared for, well fed, strong, healthy and happy. We belong to a group of people that have cross breeds just like her. This type of cross breed have very good disposions, not a mean bone in any of the ones I have come across.

Thanks again for your kind remarks!!

yeah and what you said contradicts that, do your dog a favour and spay her.

if you dont plan on breeding her[and i sure as heck hope you dont breed her] there is absolutly no medical benefit from staying intact, and spaying her could prevent health issues that arise with intact dogs.

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Just because we have not decided to have her spayed does not mean we plan to breed her.

I'm very confused. If you are not planning to breed her, why don't you spay her? That way, there will be no risk of pregnancy, pyometra, or cancers of the reproductive organs.

If she was in heat and got together with a male dog she is probably pregnant, so you ARE breeding her, right?

We belong to a group of people that have cross breeds just like her. This type of cross breed have very good disposions, not a mean bone in any of the ones I have come across.

Right now, there are well over 100,000 dogs listed on Petfinder who are homeless and many will die for lack of homes. They are both purebred and mixed breeds like yours and many of them don't have a mean bone in their bodies either. If you want more nice dogs, why don't you adopt one instead of creating more? There are tons of herding dogs homeless.

Trinitie
June 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
If you're not planning on breeding her, then the humane thing to do is spay her so she doesn't develop cancer.

If you are planning on breeding her, doing so will make you no better than a BYB, as she's not a champion show dog.

anoli53
June 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
PLEASE STOP. I am not doing what you all seem to think! I LOVE my dog! She has regular visits to a vet, has had all her shots, chipped and is healthy and loved. I have discussed having her spayed with the vet. I am aware of the plight of homeless dogs and it breaks my heart. When I posted this thread, I was looking for advice and thoughts of other that would help to explain her change in disposition. Instead I find myself being accused of being a back yard breeder which is not fair. This is upsetting.

Writing4Fun
June 3rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
However, I would like to mention that spaying her is not in our plans. Her type of breed cross is very desirable with the farmers here for herding sheep and cattle. We have had several inquire to us about having her produce pups for working dogs.
Sounds to me like you do plan to breed her...

LuckyRescue has given you many reasons not to breed your dog and have her spayed immediately. I'm wondering if one of these reasons isn't the very problem your dog is currently experiencing. I pray it isn't the case, but you might want to mention it to your vet.

Sneaky2006
June 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM
:thumbs up Writing4Fun beat me to it...

Trinitie
June 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM
Nobody said you were a BYB. We merely stated if you plan on breeding her, then you'd be no better than one, as she's just a mixed dog, not a champion.

You must look at the bigger picture, other than you have a desireable breed. For the health of your dog, you must spay her. After all, look at what happened after a chance encounter with an intact male. You're worried about her, and rightly so. Be an advocate for your type of dog and do what you can to have the breed recognized, instead of just wanting "more" of them. Once the breed becomes a recognized breed, then showing and gaining championship titles is the next step to responsible breeding.

Always think of your poor little girl NEEDING to have puppies, not WANTING. Think of all the intact males NEEDING to get to her. This would include any domestic males, or any wild roaming ones too. Do what's right for her. Spaying her IS right. You'll certainly feel better, as will she!

Beaglemom
June 3rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Anoli, I'm a little confused. I believe that you do care for her very much. In one of your earlier posts, you said that you don't want to spay her.

In fact you said:
However, I would like to mention that spaying her is not in our plans. Her type of breed cross is very desirable with the farmers here for herding sheep and cattle.

Then you go on to say:
Just because we have not decided to have her spayed does not mean we plan to breed her. Far from it!

Which is it?

On another one of your threads that you started, you are inquiring about adopting a kitten and that you s/n your cats so it doesn't matter if it is male or female.

Why not do the same for your dog? If she is indeed pregnant now, then she will most likely have to have her puppies as the timeline that you gave us puts her in delivery any day now. But why not spay her after her puppies are born and when she is able to be? You would possibly be saving her from dieing of cancer or suffering from reproductive illnesses that occur in intact females.

Trinitie
June 3rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Eleni,
That was uncalled for.

LavenderRott
June 3rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
You know, some days I just have to sit back and wonder....

While I have all of my animals spayed and neutered, that is not everyone's personal choice. Just because someone has a dog, cat, fish, ferret, rabbit, rat, or whatever and it isn't speutered doesn't mean that they intend to breed it.

Ladies - some days it looks like we have taken a step past educating and have moved onto just plain bashing. I am sure that there is some way to explain to someone about the health concerns of a non spayed female dog without turning it into a slugfest.

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
I think this person is either breeding her dog or a troll

either way its not good, but if you want ill delete the previous post

Trinitie
June 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Just because someone isn't acting in a way you might think, or is posting something that doesn't sit well, doesn't make them a troll.
If she is planning on breeding her dog, there's little we can do about it is there? All we can do is educate on the safety of spaying, nothing more.

anoli53
June 3rd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Just because I have not had her spayed does not mean I am an irresponsible owner.

Eleni...if you are able to read as well as you are able to condem, REread my post for a kitten. It states that I have ALWAYS had my cats spayed or neutered, all the shots AND chipped. Does that make me sound like I'm irresponsible?

I will take all of the other posts into consideration to decide if spaying her is going to be in HER best interests. As I stated before, I have discussed her spay with the vet. I will go on HIS recommendation.

This is my LAST post. I thought I found a good site to get information and advise from other pet owners that love their pets as I do mine. Instead, I sit here close to tears and feel as though I have been attacked.

Writing4Fun
June 3rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
LavenderRott, I don't think this is a slugfest. I think everyone is trying to relate that, if you have an intact female and don't intend to breed her, you are going to a) be constantly worried about her getting pregnant, and b) subjecting her to a large list of potentially life-threatening illnesses directly related to her intact status. I believe this qualifies as education.

As far as the OP goes, I think we're all just confused about her plans now, because in one post she states that she has people asking for puppies so she isn't going to spay her, and in another she states that she's spoken to her vet about spaying and doesn't intend to breed her. We'd just like a little clarification, that's all. ;)

Anoli, this is a wonderful site full of great people who love all animals and want to help educate the world to make this a better place for all of them (and us). Your posts were a little contradictory, that's all. Education is the key, and if you need more information about the benefits of having your dog spayed, I'm sure there are many people here who would gladly help you make that decision. I really, really hope your dog is ok. Please let us know how she fares. :pawprint:

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 03:47 PM
Eleni...if you are able to read as well as you are able to condem, REread my post for a kitten. It states that I have ALWAYS had my cats spayed or neutered, all the shots AND chipped. Does that make me sound like I'm irresponsible?

I dont get, why is it so important that you do it for your cats, yet the dog isnt.

im missing that.Perhaps my comment earlier was uncalled for however I cant help but think that there is some dishonesty happening. and yes clarification is probably what i should have asked for instead of how I posted.

my apology.

but for your pets sake Spay the dog too so you ahve no intact pets.

there are alreasy so many unwanted pets, and adding to that is ust hearbreaking.

Eleni

LavenderRott
June 3rd, 2005, 03:50 PM
Actually, yeah - it was getting kind of ugly.

I am sure that many members here don't share every detail of their life with the rest of the forum. For all we know, the OP's dog has some kind of health condition that makes spaying dangerous to her dogs health. Yet here we go on our "you are not a responsible owner if your pet isn't spayed" kick. The result, all the OP learned is that we are judgemental and she can find no help here. And you can tell me that I am wrong til you are blue in the face, but you might want to notice that in the last couple of months we have lost some intelligent people who - for whatever reason - don't believe exactly as the majority of this forum does. For all we know, outside of the "why you shouldn't breed your dog" subject, these people could have contributed quite a bit to our online community.

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
IF it's someone's personal choice not to have their pets spayed or neutered, that's fine as long as they are responsible enough not to have that animal breeding and getting pregnant.

"Oops" pregnancies are one of the reasons that millions of animals are dying in shelters every year.

Trinitie
June 3rd, 2005, 04:01 PM
Rott, you're quite right. It was getting ugly.

I sincerely hope the OP's dog is able to be spayed, and that she realizes its for the best interests of the dog.

anoli53:

If you discuss this matter with your vet, and the vet approves the operation, please do have your dog spayed. I hope you do not needlessly breed your dog, as there are so many other dogs, available in shelters, that would be eager to learn herding. A chance is all they need.

We, at times, get too involved at looking at the needs of the pets, and forget about the owners' needs.

Good luck and do keep us up do date on her's and your progress.

Closed.