Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dogs acting like spayed dog is in heat

fltanz
June 2nd, 2005, 01:40 PM
One of my dogs got spayed last Fri. ever since then my 2 male dogs have been acting as if she's in heat which of course she isn't and there isn't any discharge of any kind. They're driving me nuts...What's going on? When will they stop acting like that?

Trinitie
June 2nd, 2005, 01:43 PM
Are your males neutered? It's possible she may have just been starting a heat when she was spayed and the males are sensing a residual scent.

fltanz
June 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
no, they aren't, but surely the vet would have told me that, and its been a week tommorrow how long would this last?

Writing4Fun
June 2nd, 2005, 02:10 PM
What are they doing when you say they're acting like she's in heat? Are they trying to mount her? How old is she, and how old are the boys? Have they been allowed full access to her since her surgery, or has she been given some space to recover on her own?

This may be a long shot, but could it be that they're not exhibiting a mating behaviour but rather a dominance behaviour? Maybe she used to be the dominant one, but now in her weakened state after surgery, they're trying to exert their dominance over her?

Just a theory...

losinsusan
June 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
I agree, my male dog was fixed at 6 months. He is 8 now and still humps anything that moves. Not humans, but other dogs.....he is a pig. Male or female. He says hi and turns them around so quick they are caught off guard and hump away he does! Its so embarrassing. Even at Petsmart where you shop with your dogs. I stopped taking him because he hops on anything that walks by. He has tossed dogs up on an endcap, knocking over products to hump them!

fltanz
June 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
These are all strays so my guess as to age for her is I don't think she had came in heat ever before yet, but she's got to be close to a year old (she's grown-very tall) the boys: one I have had for 6yrs and he was grown when he attached himself the other is new but has to be over a year old. She wasn't very interested in recovery, she had surgery on Fri and by Sat night she was fine, Sunday she was wanting to run flat out and did many times, as well as playing and acting her goofy self like nothing ever happened; there was no slowing her down... I'm glad I made sure the vet knew she was a stray and couldn't be kept in, I asked them to do extra sewing and glueing so thank goodness for that, I haven't had any problems and not the first bit of seepage. The boys are trying to mount and sniffing licking ect. the older one when he's happy, excited, or nervous he goes to talking up a storm whining and making the oddest noises and he's been doing alot of that. I think I may have got it done just in time maybe that's it.