Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breed Band IQ Test

levimh
June 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
I found this on the internet, while just randomly browsing. It makes for a good point, IMO.

1. If you were the sheriff in your town and you learned that Toyotas were disproportionally involved in more accidents than any other model, would you...
(a) ban Toyotas and confiscate the Toyota of anyone caught driving one, or
(b) arrest the drivers responsible for those accidents?

2. Which course of action in Question 1 do you think would...
(a) inconvenience the fewest number of people,
(b) be the more efficient use of taxpayer dollars, and
(c) be more effective in preventing future accidents involving Toyotas?

3. If your answer to Question 1 was
(a) -- ban Toyotas -- and the sheriff's department learned that, by a statistical quirk, drivers of confiscated Toyotas were perpetrating further accidents by driving, say, Hondas, would you then ban Hondas? If not, why not?

4. If your answer to Question 3 was, "Ban Hondas, too, dammit, something
HAS to be done," then would you propose a ban on ALL car models with names ending in "a," such as Kias and Mazdas, reasoning that all these brands
are pretty much bred for the same purpose? If not, why not? If so, how would
you deal with car brands that end in the SOUND of "a," such as Chevrolet?

KessyWessy
June 8th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Well my first thought at q1 was "Whats causing all these Toyota accidents? Is it an obvious problem with the car ie) wheels falling off for no reason, or are all the accident due to driver error?" But that wasn't an option.

Oh well. ;)

Good little quiz you found there though.

mona_b
June 8th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Better not show Hubby this...He drives a Toyota 4Runner.....LOL

I agree,good little quiz.

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I don't want to upset anyone with my comments, so DON"T .
I am going to go with "you are talking dogs" HAHA
I have no love for Pitt Bulls, or hate for them. Honestly I don't know alot about them.
What I do know is, out of any other dog breed they happen to be in the news the most for dog bites.
I don't think it started out as a witch hunt for this breed, but unfortunatly they now have a bad rap.
I have to honestly say I wouldn't trust a Pitt Bull with my kid, no matter how old they are. (both of them)

BMDLuver
June 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I don't want to upset anyone with my comments, so DON"T .
I am going to go with "you are talking dogs" HAHA
I have no love for Pitt Bulls, or hate for them. Honestly I don't know alot about them.
What I do know is, out of any other dog breed they happen to be in the news the most for dog bites.
I don't think it started out as a witch hunt for this breed, but unfortunatly they now have a bad rap.
I have to honestly say I wouldn't trust a Pitt Bull with my kid, no matter how old they are. (both of them)
That's sad. You should never trust any dog to be left alone with a kid, it's a recipe for disaster no matter what. I know a golden retriever who chewed the nose off a kid while mom went in to get some wetone's. The dog was actually trying to lick the icecream off the toddlers face but nibbled too hard and tore his nose off. The same could happen with any dog. The newf you've decided you want could do the same darn thing. Don't assume that what you read about is the be all and end all. What's reported is done so to get attention to papers and moneygrubbing politicians. Education is paramount. Meet some pitties, you'll understand why people who love them are so passionate about them and responsible owners. Doesn't mean you have to own one, just learn about them and how wonderful they can be when owned by the right people. Btw, Newfoundlands are one of the dogs slated in BSL discussions in Illinois.

levimh
June 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I think that pit bulls are in the papers all the time because - as of RIGHT now - they are "our" (humans) chosen breed to dislike. Before it was GSD...and Rottweilers...and Dobermans..etc. It just seems to me that if Rottweilers were our "chosen breed" at the moment, then we'd be hearing all about them in the paper and everyone would be saying "I would never trust a rotty for the life of me!" and "Those big black dogs should be banned!"

Someone who owns a pit bull and trains it to be aggressive can easily buy a rottweiler and teach it, too, to be aggreessive...or even a lab for that matter.

I'm sure in 5 years all the news will be about Cane Corso's or AmStaff's or something.

I also read something where pit bulls have a very low percentage of attacks on people (we just happen to hear about them, therefore it seems like it's always them). I can't recall the source and it may not be true.....I've never personally met an unfriendly pit bull - and i've met quite a few. Just thought I'd throw that in there. :)

sammiec
June 15th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Excellent post BMD.

I would NEVER leave my dog unattended with my child. I have no intentions of doing so. It's not fair to her nor the child. When he's older I can just imagine the things he might try to do to her!!
My family member has a 11lb designer mutt that is the cutest thing... but I would ABSOLUTELY under no circumstances leave my baby unattended with her. I would 100% trust my pit bull before this little dog if the baby was left unattended with an animal. She rambunctous, nips, jumps and licks everything!!

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
When I said I wouldn't leave my child alone with a pitt Bull, I didn't mean that I would "leave the house on an errand" alone, I meant I wouldn't leave it in the same room alone.

I have read in the papers, and heard on the news, how neighbours were so "shocked" that the pitt Bull across the way has bitten someone. "That dog was so nice, it wouldn't hurt a fly.

The neighbours never say " Oh my the owner is so horrible, and treats that dog to attack anyone who comes near the yard." I'm sure most dogs feel they had no choice, but this is where they end up if you have enough bites from one breed.

By the sounds of it, the bite instinct may just be instinct with this dog.

Just as some humans grow up with the perfect home life, no childhood problems or traumas. Yet some still go out and kill.

We don't understand why most do it, but the fact remains they do. :o

BMDLuver
June 15th, 2005, 07:34 PM
and the point still remains that it doesn't matter the breed of the dog, kids and children should never be left unattended at any time ie. outside in the backyard while you pop in to get juice and can't keep an eye out.

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I'm glad that you are able to keep your eyes on your kids, and your dog at all times, but for most of us that's just not possible. If you have more then 1, or 2 kids, then you must know how hard it is to know where they are at all times. My kids could be spread out all over my house at any given time. Does that mean they should not be able to have a dog? I don't think so.
This is why you research animals before you get them. This is what I am trying to do. Some people have small family's, I am not one of them. I don't think that should have anything to do with if you have a dog or not.
I am looking for a breed that doesn't have a background, or history of aggression, OR a history of biting.

BMDLuver
June 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM
No, it means that when you can't supervise and watch your children that the dog should be removed from the situation until you can. One of the many reasons why so many rescues are hesitant to adopt to someone with so many small children and such a large breed dog. Rescues are placed to succeed in families not be rejected again because the dog injured a child, couldn't be trained, not enough time... rescues goal is to place a dog for life not just for a while. I am just trying to get you to see the point and why you may find your family rejected from adopting. It's not the breed of the dog, you can research that to death, it's the individual dog and the individual family, period.

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I do understand what you are saying.
I hope you are wrong about me not being able to adopt a dog, because I woulld really like to help one out.
If what you say is true, I could see why some people get their animals from breeders or stores. What other choice do they have if they can't help a dog be rescued.
I hope I can, my kids absolutely love dogs, and really miss our old dog. :grouphug:

BMDLuver
June 15th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Some advice:

If you have your heart set on a specific breed, let's go with newf at the moment as that's the one you are thinking about now... try rescue first. If they reject your application then politely ask why so that you understand what requirement they felt was missing. If you must go the breeder route, then research your breeders very carefully. Get references and speak to previous adopters. Ask the breed specific rescues and clubs about the breeder and check the ckc status as well. Some breeders may reject your family as well. If you go the petshop route then you get what you deserve, which is a dead newf at around 4-5 years if it lasts that long and you can afford all it's health issues. So think long and hard about this decision. It's not spur of the moment, gotta have a dog to replace the one we just lost, it's a lifetime commitment that can come with huge medical bills depending on the breed chosen.

And I must apologize to the original OP as your thread has now been hijacked offtopic although my point originated on Topic. Sorry.

Stacey1
June 15th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, and yes we will think LONG and hard before we make any final decisions on a dog.
I also apologize to the OP, I did not mean to get off topic. :sorry:

levimh
June 15th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I don't mind you guys interupting the thread at all. By all means, discuss - it's a free board! :D

I have to say I was enjoying your little debate. In my mind I was thinking "Ooh, good point...oh that's a good point too....oh, so is that....." Haha. :)

PS - Stacey1 - I just wanted to say that adopting an older dog could be for you too. They're a bit slower (from old age) and know their manners around kids (most). It's also a good lesson for the children - to show them that older dogs can be just as good/fun as younger dogs.

Stacey1
June 16th, 2005, 07:03 AM
It is good to have a debate every once in a while, I just have to try and take not take things so seriously, and just enjoy the conversation. ;)