Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kidney problems in my cat?

karenokelly
June 2nd, 2005, 12:32 PM
I have a 5 year old cat that I found out about 6 months ago that he has a creatinine level of 2.6 which from reading different things on line and in my books at home that is kind of high and when I found out that it might be renal failure I was very upset. The vet put him on Feline Renal pills and now he's on drops before he is fed. She hasn't really told me whether or not he is having problems with his kidneys, but he seems to be ok. He's eating and drinking ok, hasn't lost weight, he does sleep quite a bit (but don't all cats sleep a lot!) and he doesn't have problems going to the litter box. I am worried that he might have this Feline Renal Disease and I don't know how to ask my vet about this without sounding paranoid. I would think if she was concerned about him, she would let me know, but when I read about the creatinine levels being high I am very worried. Is there anything else that might cause a spike in these levels, other than this disease? Any help and thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you.

kandy
June 2nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
I lost a dog earlier this year to total renal failure (birth defect in 18 mo old newf) and I don't think that you would be paranoid to ask your vet about it. During my research I didn't find anything about other causes of high creatine levels, but I was researching dog kidney diseases, not cats. If the vet put the cat on meds for the kidney's then I would think that there is some problems there. I wouldn't care if the vet thought I was paranoid, I would ask anyway!