Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Homolka v. Pit Bulls

Loki
June 2nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
http://www.canada.com/toronto/soundoff/story.html?id=cef9c427-34d7-4c2b-bd4b-d0b4eae62079

Homolka v. Pit Bulls
Does Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant have his priorities straight?

canada.com

June 2, 2005

Attorney General Michael Bryant took a hardline stance, banning pit bull dogs in the province. The move came despite much protest, not just from pit bull owners but from veterinarians, animal rights groups and kennel clubs, which favour generic dangerous dog legislation over breed-specific bans.

Now the public is clamouring for a way to restrict convicted sex killer Karla Homolka upon her release from Joliet Prison in Quebec where she served an 11-year sentence for her role in the rapes and murders of two Ontario schoolgirls and the rape and death of her younger sister, Tammy.

Bryant says he won't bring further charges against Homolka.

And he has support. Human rights supporters say that Homolka has served her time. Still others believe the so-called "deal with the devil" she made with prosecutors must be honoured for the sake of keeping the justice system working.

The two issues have nothing to do with each other but some Ontarians are scratching their heads. Does it seem right to you that Bryant would go to such lengths to ban pit bulls and yet let Homolka go free? Should Bryant find a way to 'undo' the deal? Would doing so undermine the entire justice system? Go ahead, Sound Off!
© canada.com 2005

happycats
June 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
http://www.canada.com/toronto/soundoff/story.html?id=cef9c427-34d7-4c2b-bd4b-d0b4eae62079

And he has support. Human rights supporters say that Homolka has served her time. Still others believe the so-called "deal with the devil" she made with prosecutors must be honoured for the sake of keeping the justice system working.

Yes she "served her time" for the murder of those 2 poor girls, But how come she has never been tried for the murder of her own sister??

All I can say, is I hope she gets hers, soon :evil: :evil: may she rot in hell :evil: :evil:

It just goes to show you where our governments priorities are! Let the lying, murdering, rapist, scum of the earth go FREE, while they pick on poor innocent animals who can't fight back!!

sammiec
June 2nd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Here's my soundoff:

Wow, what an interesting outlook. As I have said before, "Honourble" Michael Bryant has his head where the sun don't shine.

This lady had committed the most serious, grusome, and horrific crimes against the most innocent - children. She KNOWINGLY tourtured, raped and killed those poor innocent girls.
It has been said that officials are concerned that she will re-offend, and yet, they are allowing her free to roam among the rest of us. It's truly digusting.
There should be SOME kind of restrictions or something.. yet Michael Bryant is sitting on his thumbs, just waiting.
He spent thousands of dollars pushing his ban on pit bulls through as fast as he could, but has done nothing to protect us from someone so vicious and horrible as Karla Homolka. It doesn't make sense.

Homolka vs. Pit Bulls. I think, no - I KNOW, I would take me chances with the dog.

Schwinn
June 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
The thing that bothers me is that it has been stated that there actually is enough to open a new case against her in the death of her sister. However, that isn't a slam dunk. So instead, he is making this big horse and pony show about going to court to get restrictions placed on her. You know what? I think she is evil and should rot in jail for ever, but she served the punishment that was handed to her. On the world stage, Bryant is making Ontario look bad (and we are all shocked by this becaaaauuuse...). People are scratching thier heads, this isn't the way the law works. You serve the time you are given, and she did. I don't like the deal any more than anyone else, but especially since there is the avenue of going after her for her sister's death, either do it or let it go. I think this is all just big show-boating. He also talked about all the other provinces going in as well. Hmmm...they don't seem to be around. If there's a court case about Tammy Homolka, he won't be able to get face time on TV talking about it. Coincidence? I doubt it. And what also makes it stupid is that she isn't even planning on moving back to Ontario.

That being said, i was waiting for him to add her to the BSL...

twodogsandacat
June 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
She has no press value to Michael Bryant f she is charged with the death of her sister and the assaults that she got away with. Once a case is before the courts it is considered 'improper' for the Attorney General to comment. The only value she provides to him is that he can kick her everyday and get his name in the paper.

There is enough evidence to charge her with other crimes - let justice be served and charge her....take away his PR doll.

Get in there and post.....

chico2
June 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM
The funny thing is,he uses the same sentence,whether it's about Pit-Bulls or Karla Homolka"He only wants Ontarians to be safe"....This pathetic"little"man makes me cringe everytime he gets to show his shiny face on TV :evil:

Daisy's Owner
June 2nd, 2005, 05:26 PM
She has no press value to Michael Bryant f she is charged with the death of her sister and the assaults that she got away with. Once a case is before the courts it is considered 'improper' for the Attorney General to comment. The only value she provides to him is that he can kick her everyday and get his name in the paper.

Those were my thoughts exactly. My how transparent he has become.

babyrocky1
June 2nd, 2005, 07:04 PM
My sound off isn't there, does anyone know how long it should take? I didn't call him any of the names that I truly feel in my heart!!!! No need to censor :confused:

twodogsandacat
June 2nd, 2005, 08:05 PM
does anyone know how long it should take

Sometimes it takes overnight. Looks like it is somebody's day job to update the posts.

BMDLuver
June 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
I have only one comment on this thread as my friend is Jane Doe who testified against them:

Karla Homolka will live the rest of her "free" life waiting for the day when someone takes justice into their own hands. My hope is that she won't have to wait too long.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 09:35 PM
I've been following this rape murder story since I was 13, and all I can say is the three kids who murdered the reverend and his wife from my old neighborhood supposedly are not living great lives now. When people figure out who they are they are severely beaten. And they're by far not as well known as Kreepy Karla. We'll see what people do when she is released.

She's not charged for her sister's murder as part of the plea bargain. Why one gets life and the other gets a tiny sentence for the same crimes is the fault of the prosecutors.

LL1
June 2nd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Did anyone follow Justice Patrick Galligan's review?He was appinted by the Tories,and the Tories decided to not press any further charges.

Hansard on the appt http://www.ontla.on.ca/hansard/house_debates/36_parl/session1/L022.htm#P108_24020

Akeeter
June 3rd, 2005, 01:55 AM
wants her tried on crimes Homolka & Bernardo did in Toronto, before they got married. She was talking to the news earleir on in the week, but nothing has been said about it. (this was a whole Different set of sexual assaults that those 2 committed. I can see no reason why the Deal with the Devil applies to these cases at all.)
Those charges -Bernardo = Scarboro Rapist, with Homolka's help. were Never even brought into court! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

chico2
June 3rd, 2005, 08:21 AM
We here in Oakville/Burlington were indirectly affected by the Homolka/Bernardo murders.
It was a bit scary before they got these two evil people..you would glance into every little sportcar with two young men in it,never knowing a woman was involved.
At the time I had a Camero and everyone driving a Camero had to have the car thouroughly searched.
Witnesses had said the car used in the abductions was a Camero,but of course it was not..
"The deal with the devil"was a horrible injustice,but without Karlas testimony against her husband,who knows what could have happened..
I don't think anybody in Ontario will ever forget these horrors and I am hoping Karla will never have a"normal"life,3 young girls were robbed of theirs :sad:
Oh,and by the way,McGuinty is going to have a cabinet-shuffle,so hopefully we'll have seen the last of Mr Bryant :evil:

twodogsandacat
June 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM
At the time I had a Camero and everyone driving a Camero had to have the car thouroughly searched.

I had a white Z28 and was often followed. I was repainting the car while on my vacation and had it at a 'do it youself garage' that had a lot of daily traffic. Every morning I came in the masking paper was lifted - right where the orange inspection sticker was. The city was close to panic.

chico2
June 3rd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Yes,I too had a little sticker on the windshield,my Camero was not even white,it was champagne-coloured and it was a Berlinetta.But they checked if it had been repainted.....

Schwinn
June 3rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
I remember they chased two guys in a white early '80's Camaro and lost them through the airport. It turned out later the actual car was a Nissan, gold coloured. The wierdest thing is, they never did mention what happened with the white Camaro they were chasing. It drove me nuts, though, that they were checking any Camaro from 1975 up to 1990's. Those cars didn't even look the same. (Actually, they still don't...)

twodogsandacat
June 4th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Well Karla now has restrictions placed on her. The only thing better would be if she was still in jail for a long time.

It seems that Mr. Bryant’s strategy has worked and the Star is gushing over him: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1117836614419&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

How transparent this man really is. Toronto probably has thousands of dangerous offenders running around unsupervised and unrestricted while he focuses on one individual rather than legislation to protect us from all dangerous offenders.

chico2
June 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM
To be completely honest,I actually do not think she,on her own is a danger to society,but I would like her to stay in jail for another 10 yrs for the horrific crimes she was involved with.
Bryants grand-standing was just Bryant the way he is....he should concentrate on all the shootings in Toronto,a much more serious danger to the public,but now when he is getting rid of the Pitties and Homolka,I suppose we can all walk safely on our city-streets!

twodogsandacat
June 4th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I suppose we can all walk safely on our city-streets!

When Holly Jones was murdered it was revealed that there were over 200 registered offenders living in her Toronto neighbourhood. Mr. Bryant should get busy.

Schwinn
June 4th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Personally, I'd like to see them try her for killing her sister. More than one lawyer said the door is open for that. But then, that would prove to be work, not kissing up to the camera, wouldn't it? "I'm ready for my close up, Mr. McGinty!"

twodogsandacat
June 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Personally, I'd like to see them try her for killing her sister. More than one lawyer said the door is open for that. But then, that would prove to be work, not kissing up to the camera, wouldn't it? "I'm ready for my close up, Mr. McGinty!"

The number one reason for that is: Bryant will not be able to comment for the entire duration - from the moment they charge her to the moment they convict. That's a lot of missed photo ops.

LL1
June 4th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Do you think that's why the Tories wouldn't do it either?
The number one reason for that is: Bryant will not be able to comment for the entire duration - from the moment they charge her to the moment they convict. That's a lot of missed photo ops.

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Do you think that's why the Tories wouldn't do it either?

Personally, I don't think the Tories got involved either way. I could be wrong, but I think it is normally the Crown Attorney's office who decides. I think the decision was made at that time to let thier office decide. Would they do anything different if they were currently in power? I honestly don't know. I only know what is being done, and it smacks of more photo ops. But then, I'm admittedly biased.

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I was in the states this weekend so have no idea what happened with regards to Karla and her freedom. Anyone have an update?

LL1
June 6th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Actually no.The Crowns act on instruction from the AG.The Tories appointed Justice Galligan to do the review, the terms of reference were:

1) Whether the plea arrangement entered into by crown counsel with Karla Homolka on May 14, 1993, was appropriate in all the circumstances.

(2) Whether the advice given by crown counsel to the Green Ribbon Task Force in connection with possible charges against Karla Homolka arising out of a sexual assault on Jane Doe was appropriate in all the circumstances.

(3) Whether in all the circumstances it is appropriate or feasible to take further proceedings against Karla Homolka for her part in the deaths of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy and sexual assault on Jane Doe.

(4) To inquire into such related matters, if any, which the Attorney General may, from time to time, direct.

Galligan's report was given to the Tories, and they decided to go with his reccs and not lay further charges.

Personally, I don't think the Tories got involved either way. I could be wrong, but I think it is normally the Crown Attorney's office who decides. I think the decision was made at that time to let thier office decide. Would they do anything different if they were currently in power? I honestly don't know. I only know what is being done, and it smacks of more photo ops. But then, I'm admittedly biased.

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Actually no.The Crowns act on instruction from the AG.The Tories appointed Justice Galligan to do the review, the terms of reference were:

1) Whether the plea arrangement entered into by crown counsel with Karla Homolka on May 14, 1993, was appropriate in all the circumstances.

(2) Whether the advice given by crown counsel to the Green Ribbon Task Force in connection with possible charges against Karla Homolka arising out of a sexual assault on Jane Doe was appropriate in all the circumstances.

(3) Whether in all the circumstances it is appropriate or feasible to take further proceedings against Karla Homolka for her part in the deaths of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy and sexual assault on Jane Doe.

(4) To inquire into such related matters, if any, which the Attorney General may, from time to time, direct.

Galligan's report was given to the Tories, and they decided to go with his reccs and not lay further charges.

Well, then. Consider me sitting corrected. :o

I just know that I have heard it said by several lawyers that there actually is an avenue to persue Homolka on further charges if the government wished. Bryant keeps thumping his chest about doing what he can to protect the people of Ontario. Well, she isn't moving back to Ontario, and if he really wanted to protect them people, he would bring up the charges that are available. But as I said, I'm biased as it is, soo....