Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

siamese not drinking water

spacekaat
June 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Recently my cat threw up several times; I took her to the vet and after blood work they claim she has a lymphoma...She gets methyprednisolone and Vit B shots (twice) also fluids (lactated Ringers).
Her appetite has improved and she seems to be her old self EXCEPT she will not drink water. I don't won't to poke her every other day with fluids.. as this is hard on both of us.
Does anyone have a suggestion to get her to drink her water???
Chicken broth perhaps??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
kat

kandy
June 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
I would call the vet and ask what they recommend. If you try chicken broth in the water, I'd make sure it was the kind with low sodium. I really don't have any other suggestions, but wanted to wish you luck. I hope that your kitty gets better soon.

levimh
June 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
I used to notice my cat didn't drink a lot of water, but whenever I had a class of water for myself, she would try and drink out of that. Maybe try giving her some of "your" water....

Both my cats still don't drink enough water to satisfy me, so I started putting a little bit of water mixed in with their soft food and they seem to enjoy that. My cats are outdoor cats, so I keep a bowl of water outside for them, on the front deck.

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Your cat has cancer? What stage and how much involvement is there? Sadly, most cats do not live much past 6 months after diagnosis is made.:(

To get her to drink, you might try tuna water, made from boiling a piece of tuna.

CyberKitten
June 2nd, 2005, 01:29 PM
If the tuna does not help, pedialyte may work. I hope for the best but lymphoma is not a great diagnosis. I m so sorry to hear about your kitty! :grouphug:

spacekaat
June 2nd, 2005, 03:57 PM
thanks to all who have replied. I won't use canned chicken broth (sodium is high). I have mixed water in with her food...she eats a little.
I will try the tuna water.
I feel that she can go into remission (god willing) She is 12 years old but siamese are often long lived (20 years).
I appreciate all your input
thanks
Kat :angel:

Karin
June 2nd, 2005, 05:54 PM
The B vitamin injection will stimulate her appetite. The steriods will stimulate both her appetite and thirst too. The only reason I can think of for her thirst not to kick in is she may already be hydrated enough from the LRS fluids she is getting.
I would try all the methods recommended and maybe also a saucer at her eye level. I saw this work on a very difficult cat patient a few years back.
Also, ask the vet. I understand your concern for continuing the LRS, but maybe a little while longer is all she will need before her own craving for water kicks in.

CyberKitten
June 2nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
There are several web sites set up by people who have had kitties with cancer and they outlline their situations - it might help you to find someone else in a similar situation and learn what they are doing. As your pet's best friend and companion, you after all know her much better than her vet. Did you try pedialyte? Tuna with water should help too tho - that is a good start!

Here are two to start you out. I treat children and adolescents with lymphoma and see many miracles but I am not nearly as knowledgable about feline cancer.

http://www.haileybell.homestead.com/HaileysStory.html
http://www.kirazamber.com/lucasstory.html

Cinnabear
June 3rd, 2005, 12:19 AM
Please keep a close eye on this. Cats can get dehydrated very fast and then go downhill. You may well have to give fluids intravenously. Have you done the skin test for dehydration. Your best is see the vet. Wishing your healthy vibes.

Angerona
June 3rd, 2005, 02:35 AM
You could try putting bit of water in her food :) If she doesnt drink water or my oter cat Kala seems to like bottled water you pour some of it into the cap & she may drink it worth a shot
:)
Watering down the soft food is another try at it.
I hope yer kitty gets better. My kitty is <rubberband man>
:)

spacekaat
June 3rd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Dear cinabear; how do you test for dehydration on a cat?
Good news she has drank a little tuna juice and I gave her about 250cc LR subcutaneously. She did eat some wet food today and looks good. I will try the pedialyte. Does anyone know the proper dose of diazepam for cat appetite stimulation? I understand that works quite well.
Thanks
Kat :king:

Karin
June 3rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Dear cinabear; how do you test for dehydration on a cat?
Good news she has drank a little tuna juice and I gave her about 250cc LR subcutaneously. She did eat some wet food today and looks good. I will try the pedialyte. Does anyone know the proper dose of diazepam for cat appetite stimulation? I understand that works quite well.
Thanks
Kat :king:

250 cc (ml) of LRS sq is way too much, did you mean you gave this amount collectively over a period of time?

Ask your vet for the proper dosage of valium for your cat, and it does work great to stimulate the appetite. More B vitamins could help too. If you are using injectable diazepam do not mix it with the LRS bag, valium breaks down when contained in plastic even when diluted.

To check for hydration pinch the loose skin on the back of the neck, if it falls back into place quickly, there is plenty of hydration. It the skin stands or falls slowly, the cat is dehydrated.

spacekaat
June 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Karin I did give 250cc's over about 10 minutes; this is what the vet suggests. I thought that seemed a bit much. I had to take her to the vet's on Saturday because she began to vomit again (bile). They gave Methylprednisolone and vitamin b as well as reglan (metoclopramide) and another LR bolus. I feel that she was fluid overlaoded as she became incontinent anf this probably diluted the other drugs as she vomited 3 times last night. I gave her oral reglan which stopped the vomiting but she is still refusing food. I think that I will back off on the LR fluids for a few days unless she shows signs of dehydration.
I will call the vet today and see what they suggest. Do you think that what I felt happened sounds reasonable? (no meds got into her system due to too much fluids?) What amount of LR infusion are you familar with using?
thanks
sounds like you have a lot of experience with cats.
kat

Karin
June 5th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Karin I did give 250cc's over about 10 minutes; this is what the vet suggests. I thought that seemed a bit much. I had to take her to the vet's on Saturday because she began to vomit again (bile). They gave Methylprednisolone and vitamin b as well as reglan (metoclopramide) and another LR bolus. I feel that she was fluid overlaoded as she became incontinent anf this probably diluted the other drugs as she vomited 3 times last night. I gave her oral reglan which stopped the vomiting but she is still refusing food. I think that I will back off on the LR fluids for a few days unless she shows signs of dehydration.
I will call the vet today and see what they suggest. Do you think that what I felt happened sounds reasonable? (no meds got into her system due to too much fluids?) What amount of LR infusion are you familar with using?
thanks
sounds like you have a lot of experience with cats.
kat

Two weeks ago my 82lb. dog was on iv LRS, after 2 day's I switched to Normosol-R 250ml, sq 3 times a day. With an iv catheter it requires regular flushing with heparin to keep the line clear, since Ciara already has a clotting issue the vet & I realized we did a big oops by giving her fluids iv. (We both were a little slow the first day)

The max I had ever given a cat at one time was 50ml. Once that was absorbed, another 50ml...up to 3 times a day.

Glad to see the vet give her reglan, this will help with the vomiting, this could make her a bit drowsey too.

I'm sure with more steroids & B vitamins in her she will start to drink on her own when she's thirsty, and eat once that end settles too.

spacekaat
June 9th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone
MOcha is doing as well as can be expected. I cut her LR down and she is drinking a little water when running as a trickle. Does anyone know if Vit B can be even sq and if so is Vitamin B12 the one to use. I believe that up to 500 mcg per day is allowable, dose anyone know. Also I give her reglan sq about 3mg every other day. Does this sound like an adequate dose?? It seems to be helping she has been eating more regularly.
I think that I will try a different vet just to see if they share the opinion that this is lymphoma
kat