Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sad thing happened at my vets the other day.

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
When I was at my vets with Tucker to get his heartworm test and meds he started whining which he never does. Another dog there was whining too, they got louder and louder and then stopped. Anyways as I'm sitting there a man walks out of the office and I glanced in as it was beside where I was sitting and there was a dog on the table that had been pts. The man paid his bill and went back into the room with his wife. My eyes filled with tears and I had too hold in the tears as I understand what they were going through having done the same thing last year. Tucker acted scared of the vet and was off the whole visit, I really think that dogs can sence what was happening or could smell the dead dog, could this be the reason that Tucker acted strange the whole time we were there? He is normally good and likes the vet, what else could have set him off I don't know.

LittleLoves
June 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Awww! :sad:

I wouldn't be surprised if Tucker could sense it. When my grandmother was passing away at the nursing home, the two resident cats slinked into the room and stayed there for the three days before she died. Animals just know. :sad:

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
:( poor thing

Princesss04
June 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
I think Tucker knew something was going on or something was not right. Dogs are so smart! :)

kandy
June 2nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
I agree that Tucker knew what was happening in the other room, and I'm sure he was worried that the same was going to happen to him! People don't give dogs enough credit when it comes to things like that. When my hubby's grandma was near the end and in a nursing home, he would take Lacey up there and although she would normally try to jump in your lap, Lacey would just gently lick her hand and sit by the side of the bed. I know what you mean about crying for the dog, even though he wasn't yours. Last year while in the vets office for a routine visit, there was a young boy and his mom. The young boy was in tears and was carrying a box out of the vets office. Even though I didn't know the family, and had no idea what kind of animal was in the box, I started to cry too. My hubby always laughs at me because we can watch a movie where all sorts of people get killed and I have no problems, but if just one animal gets hurt or killed or even lost and I'll be in tears for the next hour! :o

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Funny you say that Tucker was a little :angel: the rest of the evening when we got home. Listened to every command, instead of giving you the look like are ya talkin to me, and was just in a real sucky mood.

happycats
June 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
I am sure Tucker knew what was going on, I believe they can sense these things, I also believe they have a 6th sense! Like the ability to know when a natural disaster is coming long before it gets here, (hurricanes, tidal waves, earth quakes).
I have heard that pigs in going into the slaughter house know whats coming!! they behave like they know they are going to die.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 11:57 AM
They do smell death. I know my doggies have been uneasy after going into the room after a dog or cat has been euthanized. Poor doggy. I hope his next visit is better. :(

Dog Dancer
June 2nd, 2005, 12:05 PM
Animals do sense these things. When my first dog was dying (unbeknownst to us - she was bleeding internally) our cat would not leave her side. The cat laid beside the dogs head the whole while until we got her to the vet. A couple years ago I was driving home with Shadow in the car and two little dogs darted out into traffic and were hit by a pickup truck. Shadow has never tried to jump out of the car window but she tried that day. It was like she knew something terrible had just happened.