Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Collars

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
ok i need help making a decision on collars.

same up till now had a fairly skinny one that he had when I got him but hes outgrown it. I had bought him a nice blue one with reflective dog bones on it thats about {-----------} <----that wide

what is the ideal width of a collar? im finding i need something with a bit more control for sam, but i dont want a choker, and I dont wanna risk injuring him if he tugs, hes a big tugger when hes over excited.

is leather the best material?

i need something that wont stain his fur as he is pure white at his neck.

any suggestions?

Eleni

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Watch what colour collar you buy your dog, even in the leather as the colour comes off if he gets wet and stains their fur. I found out the hard way with a red collar and Tucker had a pink ring around his neck for weeks. I have bought Tucker hemp collars that are natural in colour and have had no problems, other than he snaped the plastic fastener on his the other week when I was at my cottage so I had to go to the co-op up there and get another collar a black one with a metal clasp, so far the colour hasn't run out of this one. Nylon collars are just as strong as leather I find, I use to have a 120lb dog and always used nylon ones on him too. I think the width of your collar is ok, try walking your dog with a halti, I know some people don't like these, but I would rather use it than a choke, I hate them. I also walk Tucker on a harness, maybe give that a try?

Beaglemom
June 2nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
I can understand why you wouldn't want to use a choke collar, but how about a martingale? They can help you teach your dog not to pull on the leash without the risk of injury or choking if fitted properly.

About an everyday type of collar, I like the flat nylon type. Leather will last a long time, but I'm not sure if it would stain the white around your dog's neck. My beagle has a flat nylon one that she has had for a few years. It is very easy to to wash when it gets dirty. She too can be an aggressive leash puller if given the chance. I used to use a collar that had the snap buckle, but she broke that once. I wouldn't recommend the snap buckles if your dog pulls a lot, they can break.

kandy
June 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
I've always used the nylon collars. I've never had a white dog, and never had any problems with colors staining the coat. We bought Koda (a rotti) a big spiked collar once. She was such a baby that we thought it would be funny to have her wear the spiked one. She hated it - I don't know if she knew how ridiculous she looked or what! :p I've used the ones with the snap closures and the metal ring too. We even used nylon on our GSD who could snap any chain you tried to chain her with, and the collar never broke.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 12:14 PM
Anybody seen this one? I just bought one for Boo. It's a halti that tightens behind the head when they pull. I don't know if that's bad (doesn't look terrible) but Boo stays right beside me even off leash with this thing on. A bit expensive but neat...

http://www.newtrix.ca/docs/ourproducts.php

Here's a pic on a doggy (fitting procedure):
http://www.newtrix.ca/docs/ourproducts02.php

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
ohhhh prin I think im gonna get one of those for sam, its worth a shot.

hes still training and puling and jumping is our only issue right now, but its one whats driving us nutty

Eleni

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
I forgot-- I got my doggies collars from these people on Ebay for $7 US. They have the little reflecty tape and they're home made.
This is Jemma's collar:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4385735314&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores

By the way, the haltis are new so it's still a bit expensive..

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
ohh thats neat too, I want something reflective, only because we walk alot at night, and i like to be sure he can be seen, and tho hes a white dog and is easy to spot, im still a bit paranoid know what i mean?

that collar is cute!

Eleni

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Boo's is the same in red. They're really well made and the sellers email you to get the size.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52355&item=4386083401&rd=1

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
how does a martingale collar work?

is it jsut a wider collar?? thats the way it looks in some pics ive seen

Eleni

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Like a choker but material and really thick/wide.

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
ahh im leery of that then, i really dont want anything that will tighten any further then what I put it at when I buckle it, i just dont want to tempt something happening.

I did buy a harness, but i ended up buying the most complicated thing, not realiseing it was so complicated, and when my husband used it the dog squirmed out of it oops!

i think if i go the way of a harness id need one that stays on sam during the day, or is simple to put on and remove. . since i usually have the kids with us for our walks.

decisions, decisions heh

Eleni

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Tucker has a little flashing red light that attaches to his collar for walking at night.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Well, the new trix is easy once you get it adjusted. You slip in on the nose and over the ears and clip it onto the collar and you're done. You just have to learn to get the orientation right (like in the pictures).

Lissa
June 2nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Prin - I looked at the Jemma and Boo's collars and I just wanted to ask you where you attach their dog tags!? I've searched high and low for a dog collar that has two rings - one for the tags and one for clipping the leash to.

Also does anybody know if these collars work? http://www.gundogsupply.com/cerisaco.html

It has on "O" ring in the middle instead of a "D" ring at the end that is suppose to flip around and free the dog if it gets snagged. I wanted to buy this one for Dodger but it defeats the purpose if I attach his tags to it! I guess the solution is to get an I.D. plate made with Dodger's info instead of tags - but would I get fined for not having his licence on him?

Don't you guys find that there tags get lost, snagged or in the way when it's on the same ring as where the leash gets attached? I also find that the "D" ring is too big to attach tags to....
Thanks!

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 02:00 PM
I took a ring to a keychain and attached sams tags that way.

i was fining they got snagged or in the way alot too, havent had the problem since.

another alternative is put his tags on the leash that way they are always with him otudoors [unless you take him offleash]

Eleni

Lissa
June 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
Eleni - that's what I did too, I put them on a key chain but now that his collar is falling apart I'll have to start all over again!
Dodger does go of-leash; he is microchipped but I want him to have visible identification as well, just in case. Plus, the city says it makes it easier and faster to return a lost pet to you if they are wearing their license and microchip #. I guess it makes it more convenient but if my phone # is on the collar, isn't that just as easy?

levimh
June 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
I've lost Levi's ID tag, that I had made (his name, address, phone #). I'm not sure if it was because of the leash or not.

Lissa - I believe you can get a fine if the license isn't ON the dog.

I used to think that those collars were just for show...I never realized they could be useful to attach the leash and tags seperately to. Neat idea. :)

The collar that I have on Levi ATM was made by my dad, out of leather. Then he found a metal loop (for something totally unrelated to dogs) and bent it in a "D-ish" shape. It's huge, but there's enough room to put the leash and tags and it doesn't stick out. Picture below (it's a litttle dirty ATM).

Dog Mom
June 2nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Here is a site that I order from on occasion. www.prairiedogsupply.mb.ca/. It's out of selkirk mb. really reasonable prices and the colour didn't transfer even when they got wet.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 08:56 PM
I don't have a problem with the one ring-- I put all their tags on one normal sized key ring and they don't ever get snagged on the leash... The ring on these collars is pretty big too. I've actually never heard of having two rings until now...

SnowDancer
June 2nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
I prefer using a harness on my Eskimo - so far no staining of his white fur from his orange/black and black/black Canine Equipment Safety harnesses. If I were to get him a collar it would be rolled leather so as not to break the fur around his neck.