Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

nuetering and diarrhea

hockeymom
June 2nd, 2005, 03:44 AM
Elvis, my 6 month old sheltie, was nuetered about 24 hours ago. He has had diarrhea since he came home. Very smelly...he really does not smell, normally. Could this be from the surgery? I have only given him a tiny bit of food since he has been home, as he had to fast for almost a day prior to the surgery? We love him so much, and hate the thought of his tummy being upset. I should mention that I took him to the vet the night before, surgery was in the morning, and he stayed until dinnertime the day of the surgery (5 hours post-op). Any advice would be appreciated, as it is almost 4AM and I cannot sleep!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Eleni
June 2nd, 2005, 05:52 AM
it could be that he is stressed a bit.

I know my dog gets diarreah when hes stressed or in a new place.

did you vet mention it? perhaps you should call them to make sure its nothing to be concerned over.

id be a bit serprised if my vet released my dog after his neuter with diarreah, and never mention anything.

good luck

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM
It could be from the anesthetic, and as Eleni says, stress can do this as well. My last dog was so sensitive he would get loose stools after a thunderstorm!

Try feeding him a bit of boiled chicken and rice in very small portions, and call your vet if the diarrhea doesn't clear up or improve by tomorrow. Make sure he's drinking - don't want him to get dehydrated.

kandy
June 2nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
It could be from all the fasting??? You said that you haven't fed him very much and that he had to fast before the surgery and was in recovery for a while. I would think that long without food would have some side effects. LuckyRescue is right in worrying about dehydration, it can happen very quickly. I'd call the vet and ask for their opinion.

hockeymom
June 4th, 2005, 01:28 AM
The vet said that I should withhold food for 6 hours and then try boiled hamburger and rice in small amounts. Elvis did not have diarrhea when he left the vet - just like a "man" Elvis does not like to go in strange places. Elvis is a sheltie, and I know they are sensitive...I was up all night. He did not pass much urine at first, and it was dark -- I, too, was worried about dehydration. As of today, his stool was soft, but not as bad as it was initially. He ate two small meals today, and I hope to be increasing him back to normal by Sunday. I have to say that in my sleep deprived state I felt so guilty - like, What did I do to my perfect sweet puppy? My extended family LOVES Elvis also. As soon as my aunt said, "you should not have had him fixed - it changes them and he is just a baby!" I quickly snapped back into reality and defended my reasons for having him nuetered. (This is the same woman who is almost 65 and refuses to get a colonoscopy!) Anyway, he is doing better, but not 100% yet. We have all been praying for him. I admit that I was prepared intellectually for having him nueterd, but I was not prepared emotionally: the recovery and how me and the kids would feel about him being sick and itchy and in the ecollar bumping into walls and such. I would still do it, but I wish I would have prepared us for the aftermath. I know that he will be healed in the next week or so. I know that when you love your pet and want to be a responsible pet owner (and teach your kids the same) that spaying and nuetering is the only answer. Thank you for the responses and advice.