Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ancestry.com

lilith_rizel
June 1st, 2005, 08:45 PM
anyone use this? I was thinking that I could go half and half on membership with my sister. No only do I want to know what tribe I am, but she also wants to possible find out who our half brother is. Can we really look at birth certificates and such on here? If we can, I think I am going to go ahead and save up for it, and tell my sister that I will help pay for it if she still wants to do this.

db7
June 1st, 2005, 10:09 PM
There is alot of free info out there. I would exhaust that before joining ancestry.com

raingirl
June 2nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
I have heard it is not worth it. Nothing for living people (so your half bro's info won't be there) is on there (due to privacy) only old stuff, so I would recommend you do as much as you can on recent people first (like...last 100 years) and once you have that info and want to go back farther (and can't find it anywhere else) then go there.

db7 knows what he is talking about! db7-I was able to get back to 1369 in one family line! not the one I was looking into originally, but aparently one of my GGGGGrandparents married the daugther of this somewhat famous settler in Pennsylvania, and a lot of people researched his line already.

CyberKitten
June 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
I have done just a bit of geneolgy and ancestry.com is not worth it. There is much free stuff available (The Mormon site is actually better for my purposes anyway) and occasionally even ancestry.com provides free stuff or they used to. I have not looked recently.

lilith_rizel
June 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
ok ,I just wanted to see if it was actually worth it. I will go ahead and let my sister know that it isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

Do you by chance know what that mormon site is?

raingirl
June 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
lilith, did you get my email? I figured out why I couldn't send you the file, so I sent you the link to the software. It is on the mormon site (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).

lilith_rizel
June 2nd, 2005, 01:29 PM
yes. Raingirl, I just got it. Thank you. Will be looking at it later today.