Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scare Today

CyberKitten
June 1st, 2005, 03:58 PM
We finally have some sun and I decided to take YY out on her leash for a short walk - after managing to mow part of the road on my woodlot - (such fun!!). Well, as you prob know, Siamese are notorious climbers and somehow she jumped onto my carport and then landed on the pther side and before I knew what happened, she slipped and was hanging on - whining all the while - with dear life to the post from the carport. Pictures of firefighters saving cats zoomed thru my head not to mention her strangling herself - tho she was doing a good job of digging in her nails which need clipping (Might be a good thing I was late on that job this week!). I finally managed depspite my own panic to gather her up and into my arms and we ran into the house! Whew!!!

levimh
June 1st, 2005, 04:01 PM
There's a reason not to declaw a cat. :)

Glad you got her down.

CyberKitten
June 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM
I actually thought the same thing but saw the closed thread about the person who planned to declaw her cat (which angered me!) and did not mention it. I so hate the idea of declawing!! But that is a whole other issue which has been discussed here endlessly and most of you agree with me sooo..... :)

Lissa
June 1st, 2005, 09:40 PM
That's so scary! One time that happened to Minnow (Siamese too!) when she was kitten! She was on her harness and leash and I was sitting out with her reading my book. NEVER AGAIN I tell you! I got really into the book and when I finally looked up I couldn't see her (there are cedars and pine trees all around my house - she usually sits under them for shade!). So I walk under the trees and my poor girl is hanging from a cedar branch, trying to get free and panting for breath. I panicked! She also wasn't on one of those snap-on harnesses so I couldn't just unsnap her, I had to loosen it from the D ring and the notches! My gosh, I thought I was going to lose her. She just panted in my arms and didn't move for a while which was very unusual! Thankfully she made it through okay!

Just yesterday though she came home with only the front part of her harness still in place, the other part hadn't unsnapped but it was dragging behind her -another major accident waiting to happen!

How many lives is that Minnow?

Melissa

I'm glad that your Siam, YY is okay!! And at least she had the true Siamese attitude to HOWL in displeasure and for help!

kandy
June 2nd, 2005, 10:56 AM
So glad that YY is okay!! Too often something like that happens and can have terrible results if no one is around. A co-worker of mine recently lost a dog because of no supervision. Apparently they don't have totally fenced yard, but part of the yard has a picket fence. Their dog was chained close enough to the fence to try to jump the fence and hung itself. Because no one was home at the time, the dog died. I don't even want to think about how much that dog suffered. Thank god that you were there to save your sweet kitty!

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Do firefighters really do that, I must try it when I need some excitement, I love a guy in uniform. LOL I glad your kitty is ok, I use to have a siamese when I was a kid, she was all mine, only loved me.

BeagleMum
June 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
Something like that actually happened to me once. I had tied my cats out front at our appartment last summer and had gone into the house for a few minutes. They usually don't do much, just lay there and eat grass. When I came back outside, Haley had jumped through the steps and was just hanging there. Thank god I had a harness on her and not just a collar.

That was the last time that they were ever outside alone, ever.

Princesss04
June 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
So glad to hear that YY was okay! Glad you were there to be the hero of the day! Nice work! :) :pawprint:

CyberKitten
June 2nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Thx for the words of comfort! I am always with YY when she is out. She is an indoor cat - tho is increasingly interested in the outdoors - but she is always on a leash and I never allow her out of my sight. This happened so quickly and even tho seemed an eternity was probably at the most 5 mins.

glasslass
June 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
How scary! For both of you! Proves a point that these things can happen to even the most devoted and attentive loving owners. We all need to be aware and look out for our furbabies who depend on us. We can never allow ourselves to get lax! And, we learn from each other!