Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Cats Fighting

gjohnson
June 1st, 2005, 04:45 PM
I took in a year old cat that somebody had to find a home for. I currently have a 8 year old cat who is not impressed. The problem is we believe that our new cat is deaf, so he doesn't understand that my other cat is hissing and carrying on to leave her alone and he thinks she's playing back with him. He'll run and land right on top of her and he's about twice her size. He's very active and is chasing her non stop it seems. Does anyone have advice on what to do? Will this will pass? or is he completley stressing my other cat out? I do separate them through a baby gate so they can still play through the gate. But once I let them roam together it's a battle, he wants to play. It has been 3 weeks.

CyberKitten
June 1st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Did you introduce them properly? Putting the newcomer in a safe place of her own for a few days umtil the two get used to one another. Swapping blankets and other items so they adjust to each other's smells - that kind of thing? There are several web sites on how to do this.

gjohnson
June 1st, 2005, 04:54 PM
I had introduced them by being opposite one another through the baby gate and after they seemed ok so I thought, playing through the gate and smelling and my older cat would hang out with my new cat by the gate, I would let him out for a bit but he just so badly wants to play that in no time he would be on top of her or chasing her.

Eleni
June 1st, 2005, 05:00 PM
you need to put the youngest cat in another room completly, untilll the older cat gets used to its scent, separate the food, litter, sleeping areas everything.

once the older cat stops being upset by the scent, and stops wandering aroudn the door to that room, then do supervised visits, bring the small cat out of the room while you in the say livingroom and allow them to investigate each other,
first sign of a fight separate them and put the youngest in the room again.

slowly increase their time together till they get along better.

from my experience, sometimes a fight or 2 still happen despite the best efforts, and it might happen untill they establish their pecking order, but you can prevent it by being slow and gentle with their introduction

you gotta do it so the older cat doesnt feel put out, if he feels put out then they will fight. he will find it necessary to assert his authority over the little one.

good luck

Eleni

gjohnson
June 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Thank you very much for your help. This is what I will continue to do then. Hopefully they'll eventually work it out.

Cflat
June 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Are they both fixed? If not, they need to be.
If so, the previous advice is right on.

gjohnson
June 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Yes! both are fixed.