Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Zoomies and peeing after bath

raingirl
June 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Why does Odin get the "zoomies" and want to pee in the house after a bath?

Zoomies is a term that Bulldog people use when their dogs go into devil dog mode, running around in circles, pouncing...running some more, ears back, just acting crazy. It's hilarious to watch!

Odin always gets like this after we give him a bath, and then he will stop all of the sudden and pee, and then get all crazy again. Most times we have caught him when he starts to pee, and startled him with a loud noise to stop him.

Right now we can take him outside after a bath because it is warm out, but in the winter and cooler weather, we have to wait until he is dry before we can do that (most people suggest 2 hours at least). yet, he will try and pee within 20 minutes of the end of bathtime.

Is he doing this because of the stress/excitement of the bath? We have only bathed him a few times since we got him, not always full baths though, but we need to wash his tail every few weeks as poop builds up in his tail curl and sticks to his hair so we need to wash off the "cling ons".

He is unsure of water, so if we got him to love water, like kiddie pools or a lake during the summer, do you think bathing would be easier? We don't want to have to pay a groomer just to wash his tail and dry him.

He doesn't like the dryer either, and I don't want to stress him more by making him remain in the bathroom to dry him..or would that be best just to sit there for 30 minutes with the hairdryer and dry him in the bathroom anyway. He doesn't get all crazy or zoomie until he is let out of the bathroom.

MollysMommy
June 1st, 2005, 01:17 PM
My puppy gets the "zoomies" after her bath. I didn't even know they had a name. :) I have no idea why it happens, but I've never seen her try and pee in the house afterwards. After she runs around for a little bit, I wrap her up in a towel and hold her (She is only 6lbs after all). I worry that she'll get too excited and throw up or something. On second thought, she probably would pee if I didn't calm her down...

raingirl
June 1st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Haha. My dog is 52 lbs...so that's not much of an option. I try and calm him down, but he is so wired.

Beaglemom
June 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM
My beagle gets the "zoomies" too after her baths. In fact, every dog that we have owned has done this after their baths. It is something I have never quite understood, but find very amusing!

happycats
June 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM
3 of my cats get the zoomies after they poo :eek: Maybe they feel lighter or better??

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 01:54 PM
that's what we do with Diego. I don't use the dryer as he hates the noise, put him in his crate for half an hour or so then take him out to pee.

SnowDancer
June 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
American Eskimo dogs get the Zoomies - with or without a bath. Part of their basic nature. Apparently they get better with age - and I must say my dog's have pretty much reduced to one or two a day. Worse when my husband is home though. Apparently age 2 is the magic number. 6 more months to go - but then yesterday I read that 3 is the magic number.

raingirl
June 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Ohh...didn't think of the crate. Wouldn't that stress him out more maybe because he was already stressed from the bath?

kandy
June 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM
Both of our newfs get the 'zoomies' after a bath. It is hilarious to watch them run full speed all over the house. I've never noticed that they had to pee soon after - maybe the water makes him have to pee? LOL

Writing4Fun
June 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM
3 of my cats get the zoomies after they poo :eek: Maybe they feel lighter or better??
LOL! Phoebe gets the "zoomies" before a poo - I think the activity loosens things up. :p

Phoebe also gets the zoomies after a bath (not that we bathe her that often - I didn't think that was good for their skin). She also drags herself around on the rugs and her bed, trying to "re-scent" herself. Maybe that's what Odin's trying to do? Re-scent himself by peeing? :confused:

SnowDancer
June 1st, 2005, 02:00 PM
The sight of a crate gives my Eskimo the Zoomies. Sometimes closing the door on him so that he is alone for 60 seconds will help, but I think sometimes they just need to run off their excitement, frustration etc. - just as people do.

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM
Ohh...didn't think of the crate. Wouldn't that stress him out more maybe because he was already stressed from the bath?

Why? Does Odin hate the crate? I see the crate as Diego's safe haven, a nice cooling, relaxing area, and he usually calms down very quickly in his crate.

raingirl
June 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Oh No..Odin loves his crate. Just doesn't use it much anymore. He goes in and out as he feels, but not often. We don't enclose him anymore in it unless we have someone in the apartment like a repair man or pizza guy on the way. I know it's not bad to put him in the crate, but I've never got all that used to using it though.

Lissa
June 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM
Have you always made sure to take Odin out for a pee before a bath? You should do that before you even start getting the bath things together because my dog heads for the hills a good 1/2 an hour before a bath - I have no idea how he knows!!

If you do, then I can only assume that all the stress of the bath and excitement from the zoomies is making him pee! Does he just stop and pee (not marking)!?

I don't think that getting Odin used to water outside of the tub will do any good - my dogs (one who loved water, the other who is unsure about it) think there's a BIG difference between a lake, pool, puddle or creek than a bathtub full of water!

Perhaps the crate thing will work, although if he needs to get the zoomies out then it does seem unfair. But he shouldn't be peeing in the house either. I guess you need give the crate idea a try because I'm not sure if there's anything else you can do - unless you put a diaper on poor Odin after his bath! How sad would that be - a bath and a diaper in one day :love: ! No fun!
Melissa

Jackie467
June 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
I think all dogs get the zoomies (My IG club also calls them that) after a bath. I'v never bathed a dog that didn't. Is it possible that all the running and splashing water is making him have to pee? then with all the running it probably stimulates him more to pee and then he just simply can't hold it any longer. I know I may not have to pee but once i'v been in a shower with all the splashing water I suddenly have to go.

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 03:39 PM
Every dog I've ever had gets the "zoomies"! My dog know gets them and she goes crazy rolling around completely out or her head. Then of course she usually does her best to find a pile of dirt to roll in :rolleyes: She dosn't have to pee after a bath but when I take her to the beach she always pees as soon as she steps foot in the ocean.

LittleLoves
June 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Zoomies!

It's great to have a name to put on the behaviour. Lady gets them and the sneezes to let me know she has to poo, and then again after bath-time! :D

Schwinn
June 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM
Daisy gets the zoomies too! She goes absolutely ape, and I would really like someone to explain this. When we let her outside after she's been in for a while, she also gets this (we call it the run of stupid, as she goes as fast as she can in a circle).

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 04:36 PM
Yup, Diego does this as well. :D I'm amazed on how he could always keep his balance.

raingirl
June 1st, 2005, 04:39 PM
Next time I will try the crate, or I will just try and dry him for a while first, so if I have to take him out, he won't freeze. Will going out for 20 second to pee really do any harm in cold weather (obviously I won't bath him on days with extreme cold weather alerts). I know it's early to think about, but if there is time to make him used to it before next year, then all the better.

No, he doesn't mark, he just stops, squats, and pees like a girl, the runs around again. And we do take him out to pee first before the bath.

I think it's just all the excitement. Oh well...

Prin
June 1st, 2005, 11:58 PM
Couldn't you just put a coat on him after his bath in the winter and send him out, just till he pees?

I think doggies get so excited after baths because they feel FRESH. I mean, even when it rains, the water rarely gets really onto the skin (the oils are supposed to prevent that). But after a shampoo, the oils are gone and the water can hit the skin freely. My hypothesis after watching tons of doggies run around like nutcases after a wash..

kayla
June 2nd, 2005, 12:03 AM
Couldn't you just put a coat on him after his bath in the winter and send him out, just till he pees?

I think doggies get so excited after baths because they feel FRESH. I mean, even when it rains, the water rarely gets really onto the skin (the oils are supposed to prevent that). But after a shampoo, the oils are gone and the water can hit the skin freely. My hypothesis after watching tons of doggies run around like nutcases after a wash..

My dog goes crazy after being sprayed off with just plain hose water though, no shampoo. Every time I come back from the ocean I rinse off the sand and salt and she then runs around like crazy. So I'm not taking out the oils and she still does her "zoomies"!