Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odd timidness

levimh
June 1st, 2005, 11:56 AM
Every so often I drive 2 and half/three hours to visit my grandparents, who live in the country. I've always taken Levi, because he loves going wherever with me. Anyway, over the past...month maybe, he's gotten really timid while there. My grandparents have another dog, a Springer and Levi and him have always gotten along. Levi will nip at his ears until he chases him and they love to wrestle. Every since I first started bringing Levi there, I've always "taught" him that Lucas (Springer) is higher in rank than him, for the simple reason that Lucas is 13 and it's his home. (Is that right?)

If my grandmother raises her voice at Lucas and Levi is in another room, Levi will shrink down and lower his head, like he does when I tell him "no". It's like he thinks he did something wrong. My grandmother has never yelled at Levi and neither has anyone else when I'm there. When it comes to his food, he won't eat it and if Lucas comes around he'll move right out of the way (which I can understand since he's lower rank). I literally have to pick the food up and feed it to him piece by piece and sit on the floor, since I can't leave it unsupervised.

Overall he's just very mopey, timid and skiddish - which isn't like him at all. Is this because it's not his home and there's another dog or maybe just because he's the lowest in the pack...?

Any ideas/suggestions would be great. :)

Lissa
June 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
I don't really know for sure - I'm just responding because I like Levi :D !!!

I think you are probably right that he is a bit unsettled by having to be in another dog's which usually means he is of lower rank without question!

Levi knows that this is not his house, which makes him the subordinate - unless of course he decides to challenge Lucas - wich I doubt! Maybe he's trying to be polite by not eating his food and proving to Lucas that he is not a threat??

About the cowering when someone yells, Dodger is like that in ANY situation no matter who is yelling (even when its not directed at him). It probably startles them and hurts their poor little ears!?

I don't think its anything to worry about, so long as Levi knows he has you to turn too he'll be fine!

Could Levi be homesick!? Maybe he misses his kitty-cats ;) !?!?

Melissa

levimh
June 1st, 2005, 01:43 PM
Haha! I'm sure that's it - he misses his cats!

I'm not too worried, but I was thinking that maybe there's something i'm overlooking or missing that someone might noticed that I should do.

I also forgot to mention that he doesn't listen to commands as well. Especially "come". However, my other grandmother who lives about 20 minutes from my grandparents, has a big yard and I'll let Levi run around there and he listens perfectly. He's only been there a couple times, but he'll come when he's called.

Lissa
June 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM
It does sound strange - especially now that you mention he doesn't listen to you as much. Are you sure nothing happened at your Grand-parents place? Next time you go, be extra attentive and try to pick up on subtle body language.

What a mystery! There has got to be something causing this strangeness! We (you) must figure it out!!! I'm too curious now! :)

Melissa