Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice on Changing Feeding Schedule needed

JanM
June 1st, 2005, 11:44 AM
I have a question or two that I would really appreciate hearing opinions from others on.... 1. Is it better for the dog to feed once a day or twice a day?
and 2. If once a day, how do you change to once a day? and 3 - is it better to feed once in the morning or once at night? I'm wondering if I should change to once per day and I worry that, for the first few days Bobby would be awfully hungry all day if I feed at night and I also worry that he would it eat so fast he might get sick. Any and all advice is sure welcome!

raingirl
June 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM
twice is better. With once, there is a greater change they will have blood sugar issues and hypoglycemia from the lack of food energy over such a great amount of time. Your dog would have a great chance of getting diabetes if fed only once.

Once in the morning, once at night is better.

Beaglemom
June 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM
From what I have read, puppies under 6 months of age do well on 3 - 4 feedings per day. Puppies over 6 months are fine with 2 feedings per day and once they are adults 1 feeding per day is often good. But, I think it depends on the dog.

My dog is an adult and eats 2 times a day, plus a couple of snacks during the day. I found that this is what works best for her since she is pretty active and gets hungry if she only eats one meal a day. We tried the once per day feeding in the evening, but she hated it and was constantly hungry. So we started dividing her daily ration in 2 and feeding her half in the morning and half in the afternoon with some snacks during the day. It works great for her.

Some dogs can also be free fed. This depends on the dog though. My beagle can't as she will eat everything in sight and then demand more! :rolleyes:

Prin
June 1st, 2005, 10:50 PM
My doggies eat about 90% of their food in the morning and a tiny bit at night. We started this because Boo couldn't eat at night because of anxiety attacks, and it didn't seem fair to feed Jemma 2 times and have Boo watch... I think it's better to give more in the morning than at night, because then they can use the energy right away and not store it as fat while sleeping (my opinion).

JanM
June 1st, 2005, 11:07 PM
Interesting comments - I sure cannot "free feed" my dog - he does NOT know when to stop! I think I will stay with the twice a day feeding and forget about changing to once a day. Thanks for the comments and suggestions! Other people's opinions sure help sort things out!

mona_b
June 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
I agree with the twice a day.I give both canned and dry.Canned is given in the morning and at evening.The dry stays out.Tron just nibbles on the dry.He has never wolfed it down.This is how I fed all my dogs.None have ever became overweight.None have ever begged at the table because of this.None have ever become food aggressive.