- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Please help! Yes, I have been to the vet...

Kara Kostoff
June 1st, 2005, 10:42 AM
Please help us if you can. Our dog is sick and the vet has not been able to diagnose her problem. I am going nuts playing this wait and see and try different things while she suffers. I thought I would post her symptoms here and see what you think i might do to help her.
It started just over a week ago that she was a bit stiff in the neck and back area and drolling a bit. Within a couple of days she couple not go up or down the stairs at all and was vomiting several times a day. She has a strange breathing sound and it became harder adn harder for her to walk (especially the rear legs). This was our first and second vet visits. They did xrays and a blood test for toxins and infection which came back negative. The xrays showed nothing though they said there was some swelling in her back or spine. They gave her an anti-inflammatory and it did nothing, the next time they gave her a muscle relaxant, which also did nothing. They could not figure out what the vomiting would have to do with that unless there was a trauma like being hit by a car or kicked in the back. We don;t think that happenned since we did not hear or see anything, but have been doing the wait and see in case that was it. Now it is 10 days later, and she is still vomiting daily and is stiff (especially back adn rear legs), only able to walk intermittently. Still drooling, quivering on occasion.
Our vet has not yet been able to help us at all!! On the internet I have found meningitis and meningomyelitis and thinking that could possibly be it. Any ideas, I have another appointment today am considering trying to find a better vet (if you know of a good one in the Seattle area, please post). Thank you so much for any ideas, info.


June 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM
:sorry: Definitely go to a different vet!!! As of yesterday!! Just look in the phone book if you don't know of any other vets and pick one!

Hope your baby feels better soon!

June 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM
IT WOULD HELP if we knew breed type of dog. I am seriously hoping your dog is not a Dachshund or a Beagle or other dog prone to disc disease - let's add long-backed German Shepherds to the mix. I am assuming not a Dachshund as your vet would clearly have known what to do. I did look at your profile but it simply states dogs' names - not much help I am sorry to say. Some dogs are prone to certain diseases.

Kara Kostoff
June 1st, 2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks for replying, sorry for not including breed info. The sick dog is a 9 year old female German Shorthaired Pointer. She is ordinally very active and healthy.

June 1st, 2005, 11:44 AM
The symptoms sound like it could be a brain tumor putting pressure on the brain. If it is a brain tumor and you choose to have it operated on do it ASAP. Timliness could be critical to the dogs survival.

June 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
I would ask my vet for a neurological consult. Unless this has already been suggested. Even the most inexperienced of vets would suggest this. Hope your pup is okay. If you have a vet college near you, that might be the place to go - but a referral will be necessary, unless you are "already" a patient. A distinction I could do without I can assure you.

June 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Where are you located, Kara, maybe we can help you find a more competent vet to take your baby...

Kara Kostoff
June 1st, 2005, 11:52 AM
Wow, I hope that is not it, but will mention to the vet today and ask if she could check for that. Thanks for the help. You have a very handsome GSP yourself, db7!

We are in Kirkland, Washington (just east of Seattle so would happily go anywhere there).

I have been looking for neurolgical types of places and no having much luck in online yeloow pages. Can check when I get home. Will for sure ask my usual vet for referral this afternoon to see neurological/brain/internal specialist.

June 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM
First thing I thought of was Encephalitis, or something else neurological. Most vet neurological specialists require a referral from your regular vet. I would get one ASAP.

June 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Your vet will need to send copies of all test results and X-rays to neurologist for review prior to appointment.

Kara Kostoff
June 2nd, 2005, 03:43 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know that we saw a much better vet (what a difference that makes!) yesterday and have discovered and began treatment for our dog. She has Myasthenia Gravis and has developed pneumonia as a result. We have her on meds now and she has a fairly good prognosis. Too bad we couldn't have figured this out before the pneumonia set in, but the first vet flat out missed it. Here is more info if interested or if anyone else has this problem.

Thanks for your help.


Cactus Flower
June 2nd, 2005, 04:56 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaay! So happy your poor baby is going to get some relief now!

Good for you, for being persistant and doing exactly what was needed. In this case, it was another vet. Don't kick yourself for not being able to catch the pneumonia sooner. You did the right thing, and sometimes timing can't be helped.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!


June 2nd, 2005, 08:11 PM
You say you're in the Seattle area? There is a vet by the name of Dr. Donna Kelleher, DVM who is a holistic vet in Seattle. She wrote a book calledl The Last Chance Dog and from what I've read has worked wonders homopathically and through the use of acupuncture with pets. Some pretty astounding cures in a short period of time

June 2nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
good for you!! glad your baby is going to be o.k.!! That's great news!
You'll have to post a pic of the patient when you get a sec. :)

Cactus Flower
June 2nd, 2005, 10:00 PM
I second that! Can't wait to see her!

June 8th, 2006, 02:33 PM
my dog had very similar symptoms and the diagnosis was difficult- but- it is myasthenia gravis-we are trying medications- good luckto you

June 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Ummmm.... this is an ancient post and if you look up you will see that the OP already said exactly what you just said. :)

June 8th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Good luck with the meds, Dugabob. I hope they work out.:)