Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stanley Coren seminar

Dogastrophe
June 1st, 2005, 11:22 AM
For those in the greater Halifax NS area; on June 4th, as part of the SPCA Dog Jog weekend, Dr. Stanley Coren will be holding a day long seminar at Paw Plex (Burnside Ind Park) from 830 to 5. Not sure of the cost at the door, but pre-reg cost is $50, which includes lunch.

I shamelessly stole the following from Dr. Coren's website (www.stanleycoren.com) for those who may not have heard of him:

"In addition to being a psychologist and researcher, Coren's life is filled with dog-related activities. He currently lives with an old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, named Banshee, a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, named Dancer, a young Beagle named Darby and an orange cat (which really belongs to his wife Joan) named Loki. In addition to studying dog behavior and writing books about dogs, Coren is also an instructor with the Vancouver Dog Obedience Training Club. This is a non-profit organization which supports beginners dog training in the community (for the general public) as well as advanced dog training for dog handlers who wish to compete in dog obedience competitions at local and national levels. He has also participated in numerous dog obedience trials and competitions under the auspices of the Canadian Kennel Club and several of his dogs have gone on to become the top ranked dog of their breed in Canadian dog obedience competition.
He and his dogs have also been members of numerous award winning Precision Dog Obedience Teams and he participated in, and created the choreography for, teams entered in the first two years of Musical Freestyle Dog Obedience Competition in Canada. He is a supporter of the SPCA, and has been called upon to participate in numerous functions and fund raising activities aimed at providing shelter and finding homes for dogs.

Coren's easy-going style of interacting with people has made him popular with the media. In addition to his own national TV program on the Life Network called "Good Dog!" he has also give numerous interviews, and the been the subject of many programs and articles. On television he has been seen on CBS Good Morning America, NBC Today Show, CNN news, ABC National News, Canada AM, CBC National News, CBS National News, CBC's Fifth Estate, NBC's Dateline, CBS's 48 hours, ABC's Prime Time, CBC's 20/20, Oprah Winfrey, Larry King, Mory Povich, Charlie Rose, Dini Petty, Pamala Whalen, Vicki Gaberaux, and many others. He has also done many radio interviews, including national and syndicated radio programs such as The Osgood Report and Dan Rather in the U.S. and Arthur Black, Ideas, and Quirks and Quarks in Canada. His books and research findings have been covered extensively by the print media, including the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post and San Francisco Examiner. Front page articles on some of his work has appeared in USA Today, the Globe and Mail, London Times, and the Los Angeles Times. Magazine articles about Coren have been published in Time, U.S. News and World Report, People, Macleans, Cosmoplitan, Saturday Night, Omni, Discovery, The Smithsonian, Entertainment Weekly, and many others. In addition to all of this, he is a regular contributor of original articles to a number of dog and pet related magazines, including Modern Dog, AnimalSense and Pets Magazine."

As an aside, please don't take the above post as an "advertisement" as such. I have registered for the seminar and just thought I'd pass some info along to the masses.

Cheers,

Daisy's Owner
June 1st, 2005, 11:27 AM
What a great oppurtunity that would be. I would love to see him in person. Thank you very much for the info.

babyrocky1
June 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
Very Cool, please tell us EVERYTHING you learn. LOL I would love to go to a seminal of his. Enjoy!

meb999
June 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
awww, shucks! I wish I was in Halifax!! I love Stanley Coren, I watch his show all the time! He's so great...those who are near Halifax, you should definetly go... you lucky "!/$$%!!

Dogastrophe
June 1st, 2005, 11:52 AM
I meant to add the contact info for anyone interested in this seminar you can contact Maureen Tate at 902.435.2528 or mtate@ns.sympatico.ca She can likely take your registration over the phone or can fax you a form. I received my form from the SPCA, but many of the vets in town and Global Pet Foods have them as well.

I just found my registration form, cost is $50 if you preregister and $65 at the door. Seminar starts at 8am and goes until 5:15 then a question period until 6.

Topics to be covered include: getting information into the dog's mind, principles of dog learning, canine languate and communication, and a historical look at the human - dog bond.

cheers,

levimh
June 1st, 2005, 01:05 PM
I really wanted to attend this. It sounds like a lot of fun. I'll be out of town this weekend..oh well. Tells us all about it!

laughingwaters
June 2nd, 2005, 03:44 PM
I would looove it if Dr. Coren came to Toronto. Better yet, if he could meet Toby! :fingerscr

CyberKitten
June 2nd, 2005, 07:00 PM
I've been in Hfx this week and kind of wanted to attend (b/c a few times when I was home sick I saw his TV program) but I am dogless at the moment but figured it would be interesting. Did anyone from the Maritimes here attend it? What did you think?

levimh
June 2nd, 2005, 07:25 PM
It's not until June 4th, Saturday.

CyberKitten
June 2nd, 2005, 07:56 PM
Oh Ok, lol Kind of hard to get a review now then ;)

Dogastrophe
June 2nd, 2005, 09:02 PM
Unless someone beats me to it, perhaps I'll give a synopsis of the seminar next week.

tenderfoot
June 2nd, 2005, 09:27 PM
Please let us know how it goes - I am sure it will be wonderful.
We were actually offered an Animal Planet show with Dr. Coren (we were going to be the trainers and he was to be the behaviorist), so we would have had a great chance to meet him, but the show fell through and we are going to have to just wait for our second chance.
Have a wonderful time!

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 09:38 PM
I wish he'd come to Montreal.. Is he doing some sort of tour or just the one place?

Dogastrophe
June 3rd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Not sure if he is doing a tour or not. This weekend is the Halifax SPCA Dog Jog - somehow, someone was able to have him attend for the weekend.

Tenderfoot -- too bad about the show falling through, hopefully the idea is just sleeping and not dead. Unfortunately it seems as though Good Dog! has gone into perpetual reruns so it would have been nice to see something new. Does any know if the Good Dog! series is finished or are they still producing new shows??

levimh
June 3rd, 2005, 08:38 AM
I believe it's just reruns from now on, but I'm not entirely sure. On the show, he owns two dogs - Oden and Dancer - and now he only owns Dancer, so I'm guessing the show is rather old, which is why I don't think there are new ones. It's too bad, because I learned a lot from that show.

hauger
June 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
My husband and I just bought a german shepherd puppy after watching good dog on tv every night. Now the show has disappeared when I need it most. If he ever comes to Ottawa please let me know, because I'm going to be there no matter what. No idea how to train this little monster and so far obdience classes are not much help. Any ideas? :fingerscr :ca:

Writing4Fun
June 3rd, 2005, 09:01 PM
Hauger, your puppy is only 10 weeks old, right? He's undoubtedly a smart boy, but he's still a baby. Give him time. ;) Why don't you start a new thread, detailing what you're having issues with?

I loved Good Dog!, but I haven't been able to watch even the reruns in ages. :(

Dogastrophe
June 5th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Attended the seminar yesterday, and got the chance to speak with Dr. Coren today at the Halifax SPCA dog jog. Will try to write up a few things this coming week when I get my notes deciphered.

For those in the greater Moncton, NB area, I did hear something about him being in Moncton sometime during the first week of July, but didn't get any additional details.

Managed to get a photo of him with the kids. At this point they were so worn out that we were lucky to keep them in the photo. They were all more interested in finding a good sleeping spot than in getting their pics taken.

Dogastrophe
June 5th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I believe it's just reruns from now on, but I'm not entirely sure. On the show, he owns two dogs - Oden and Dancer - and now he only owns Dancer, so I'm guessing the show is rather old, which is why I don't think there are new ones. It's too bad, because I learned a lot from that show.

he mentioned about Oden passing away, but said that, along with Dancer, he has a 9-year old Cavilier KC Spaniel (which he got as an adult dog) and a Beagle (age unknown, though he alluded that he was younger) named Darby.

levimh
June 5th, 2005, 02:21 PM
The show must be older than I thought then. I remember one show where he only had three dogs - Oden, Dancer and Whizzer (Whizzart?) and then another one I recall was one where he only had Dancer and Oden. Oden didn't seem that old...poor guy.

I can't wait to hear the run-down of what the day was like. (I see that it was outside - what a wonderful day to be outside!)

Dogastrophe
June 5th, 2005, 02:31 PM
the pic is a bit decieving as we had grey skies and a bit of rain off and on, which was a pain in the arse for the two-leggers but was quite nice and cool for the dogs.