Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Explain to me why people crop dogs ears

Eleni
June 1st, 2005, 10:36 AM
is it just for asthetic reasons?

and what is it? my neighbors dog has its ears wrapped up, and Im assuming thats why?

poor dog doesnt look pleased about it.

Eleni

raingirl
June 1st, 2005, 10:42 AM
My brain isn't working today..I'm trying to think of the word for it.. Not breed qualifications...

Breed Standard! Sorry...

Yeah, so sometimes the breed standard requires cropped ears and docked tail. Some people think you have to do it (I think there is a myth that some dogs ears get too heavy and will break if you don't crop them). Mostly it's for showing purposes or people just don't know they have a choice.

With pits, some (stupid) people crop them because they are less easy to get cut in a dog fight, and the dog fights better.

Beaglemom
June 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM
For some breeds like the Great Dane, Doberman Pinscher and Boxer, cropped ears are in the breed standard and if the dog is to be shown, then the ears must be cropped.

Basically, ear cropping involves surgery to trim the ears and they are then taped for some time in order to stand erect.

Here are a couple of websites I found that explain cropped ears and the proceedure.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/earc.html
http://www.wegmans.com/news/pet/columns/092504.asp

Many people like the look of cropped ears on a dog and so they get it done for aesthetic reasons.

Hope that answers your questions.

BMDLuver
June 1st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Actually, ear cropping is no longer a requirement for showing I believe.

Beaglemom
June 1st, 2005, 11:24 AM

From what I understand, it is no longer a must for boxers but some judges still do have a preference for cropped dogs though. Some of the other breeds it is still part of the North American breed standard. I believe that it is not required at all in Europe.

SnowDancer
June 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM
I have this basic philosophy that if Boxers and Dobermans and other dogs were to have cropped ears they would have been born that way. Personally I prefer a nice floppy ear.

mona_b
June 1st, 2005, 11:38 AM

You are right.

Here is some proof...... :)

Beaglemom
June 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
I'm glad that dogs can now be shown with natural ears! Now if only they can follow suit with the elimination of the docked tail!

Mockingcat
June 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM
Once Upon a Time, when dogs were used for hunting and were working dogs, tails and ears were docked and cropped to help prevent injuries. Especially with floppy ears, there was a chance of the quarry turning around and snagging the dog's ears, as well as the ears being torn open through the underbrush.

However, nowadays, very few people can legitimately claim to use their dogs for the original purpose, so in my opinion, it's no longer needed in 99.9% of dogs.

kandy
June 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM
I think that tail docking is optional now too. I'm pretty sure that they were talking about it during the Westminster this year.

BeagleMum
June 1st, 2005, 11:56 AM
I personally don't like it. I don't think that it looks good at all and it is mean. Poor pup had no choice in the matter. :(

mafiaprincess
June 1st, 2005, 02:22 PM
A lot of people crop and dock because their ideal version of their dog looks like that. If my cocker didn't have a docked tail, she would be hurt by now, since even when she's not all that happy it moves a mile a minute.

If cropping or docking is still in the breed standard, to win the dog would need to be cropped or docked. But, if it is not listed as a major disqualification in the breed standard, you can show... but it is less likely to win. If not cropping or docking is a serious fault, you would be excused from the ring before the show started.

Some of the standards are slowly changing like the boxer standard, but most are still the same.

Cropped ears are not in the dane breed standard, so a cropped or uncropped dog could win. It only specifies what cropped ears should look like, and what uncropped ears should look like.

Lucky Rescue
June 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Once Upon a Time, when dogs were used for hunting and were working dogs, tails and ears were docked and cropped to help prevent injuries. Especially with floppy ears, there was a chance of the quarry turning around and snagging the dog's ears, as well as the ears being torn open through the underbrush

I find this reason very strange, since some hunting dogs with the longest ears, like spaniels, doxies and basset hounds, are never cropped. :confused:

SnowDancer
June 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM
Lucky - I was about to type that my darling Dachshunds had gorgeous ears and tails! And of course were bred to hunt. Apparently they were yanked from gopher holes by their tails - great for their backs I am sure. I would so greatly miss the wag of my dog's tails. My Eskimo loves his tail. Also it is very helpful when a dog has a tail as you can tell mood by how it is swinging - round and round in delight or very slowly - back and forth - watch out!

Shamrock
June 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM
Strictly as an observer, I prefer the natural look of the dog's ears.
The cropped ears look very sleek and elegant, but why tamper with how nature made them?

To a lot of people, (myself included) the cropped ears somehow convey a more agressive look in some breeds.
I dont know why this is, really..

Also, I am curious. Do male dogs view other large males with cropped ears as "more" of a perceived threat because of this characteristic?
I heard or read this somewhere - dont know if there is any truth to it?

Jackie467
June 1st, 2005, 03:17 PM
I know I'm the minority here but I perfer cropped ears and docked tails on certain breeds. I owned dobermans all of my life up until recently and they were all docked and cropped. I personally don't think it is mean. It does help to air out the ears so there are less ear infections, but not enough for that to be the sole reason to crop a dog. and some dogs like dobermans have very thin tails therefore they often get happy tail, this also alone is not a good reason to dock. I will admitt that docking and cropping is usually done simply for athestetic reasons. As far as breed standard it is not required any longer to show, but most judges prefer it and very rarely will you see an uncropped undocked dog win (though it does happen, just not often).

And yes the reason the dogs ears were taped is because they were cropped. and after the tape comes off if the ears fall they will be taped again.

*disclamer- This is only my oppinion and I am in no way forcing it on anyone. Please do not let my oppinion upset you for it will not change. I respect your oppinion, please do the same for me.

Now running from the flames.

BMDLuver
June 1st, 2005, 03:17 PM
But, if it is not listed as a major disqualification in the breed standard, you can show... but it is less likely to win. If not cropping or docking is a serious fault, you would be excused from the ring before the show started.

If you look closely at the board in front of the Doberman in Mona's posting, you will see that this dog took Best in Breed Puppy with natural ears.

I think dog show judges have changed through the years very much like Horse show judges have. Conformation changes and judges keep up with that. In halter(horses) you used to see huge thick Quarterhorses with spindle lower leg and tiny hooves, now you see more refined ones with more of an elegant well proportioned look. Showing evolves as do judges.

Lucky Rescue
June 1st, 2005, 03:21 PM
my darling Dachshunds had gorgeous ears and tails! And of course were bred to hunt. Apparently they were yanked from gopher holes by their tails - great for their backs I am sure.

Actually, doxies were bred to hunt badgers - extremely dangerous and ferocious prey who could certainly rip the doxie's ears off their heads. It's JRTs who are pulled from rodent holes by the tail, which is why the tails are just about long enough to fit in a human hand.:)

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 03:31 PM
I must be losing it. That SO does not look like a doberman to me.

I am gathering info from people with danes right now. I'm trying to figure out if the cropped danes truly do get less ear infections, or no ear infections. So far, it is an overwhelming YES. I don't want to believe it's true, but that's where it is pointing. I'm still asking, though. Anyone I see who has a dane, I ask them.
Raj is plagued by ear infections. They are happening less, since regularly getting plain yogurt, but still far too often for me (and her). I keep her ears very clean, keep her allergies in check, but still can't eliminate the infections completely. She gets so miserable with an infection- the last time she had one, it spread to her eyes.
Before having Raj I was dead set AGAINST cropping of any kind. I didn't believe we should butcher a dog to make them look how WE want them to look. But now I have to admit, I don't think I would balk at a person who cropped their dane pup to lessen the chance of infection. That has nothing to do with looks, and it appears that it really does help to get plenty of ventilation in the ears.

mafiaprincess
June 1st, 2005, 03:32 PM
If you look closely at the board in front of the Doberman in Mona's posting, you will see that this dog took Best in Breed Puppy with natural ears.

I think dog show judges have changed through the years very much like Horse show judges have. Conformation changes and judges keep up with that. In halter(horses) you used to see huge thick Quarterhorses with spindle lower leg and tiny hooves, now you see more refined ones with more of an elegant well proportioned look. Showing evolves as do judges.

As I was saying the dane standard says either or.. That's a dane. Not a dobe.

I have friends waiting on their major points to titles. Shows will still disqualify your dog if cropping or docking is a major fault, and it is highly unlikely to win if cropping or docking is the standard and it isn't listed as a major fault. Other than changing some of the standards, not much has changed yet

kayla
My dog has one ear that stands up naturally when she's feeling particularly alert or thinks she is protecting me. For example when she is barking or growling at something outside her one ear goes straight up. So maybe it is a way of communication. If dobermans, pit bulls, or other protecting or working dogs have cropped ears maybe it just makes them look more alert, which people would want.

Personally I like the floppy look but then I prefer a cuddly cute dog to a protective working dog. If I wanted a protector I would probably prefer the cropped look.

Eleni
I dunno, I dont think id ever be able to subject my pet to a procedure that has no benefit besides looks

I ahve no show dogs.

I ahve sam who is a scruffy lil mutt with love in his eyes and a wag to his tail. perhaps this is why i cant grasp why people do it.

I love sam with all his imperfections. I think they add to what sam is.
not saying natural ears are an imperfection. I just love my dog the way he came ears tail and all

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 03:34 PM
WHEW!!!!!! I thought that was a dane! But after the dobe post, I didn't want to say that, and have everyone here roll their eyes and say "she doesn't even know the difference between her own dog's breed and another???"

mafiaprincess
June 1st, 2005, 03:38 PM
LOL, don't worry cactus.

The CKC dobe standard says cropped or uncropped too. The CKC is moving foreward a lil faster than the AKC, But there are still breeds that it's a major fault not to alter ears and tails.

Cropping dobes is still in the AKC standard tho, not listed as a major fault. Technically the dog could win, but it is less likely.

Beaglemom
June 1st, 2005, 04:20 PM
I will probably get flogged for this, but here goes. I agree that in certain breeds it does look good. I think that when it comes to Dobermans, the cropped ears gives the dog a more elegant and refined appearance.

When it comes to Boxers, yes the cropped ears also makes them look more refined and elegant. I would love to own a Boxer some day, but if given the choice, I would not crop the ears. I much rather prefer them natural in a Boxer.

It takes a lot of work on the owners part to make sure that the cropped ears stand correctly. It is usually done purely for aesthetic reasons.

Many judges still prefer the old breed standards of having the ears cropped. I'm sure this will change over time with more natural eared dogs winning. Many breeders still have the ears cropped for their show dogs. If you are buying a pup from a breeder, many leave the decision up to you.

BMDLuver
June 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM
lol, I thought it was a doberman. Pardon me. I guess I really do need to replace my glasses Brandy ate, lol. :o

Lise
June 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM
There is no excuse for cropping a dogs ears it is mutilation.It is easier for breeders to cut off ears instead of breeding for the correct ear carriage.It has been illegal to crop for many years in England many parts of europe as well I believe Australia.Tail docking is also being banned in many parts of the world.The dogs that are being shown are both cropped and natural.I see more and more uncropped dogs that look just as balanced and beautiful as the cropped.I know many vets who are refusing to do this unneccesary and cruel procedure.Tail docking is usualy not as bad,but the argument that a tail could be injured untrue.

Jackie467
June 1st, 2005, 05:17 PM
It is easier for breeders to cut off ears instead of breeding for the correct ear carriage.

It is imposible no matter what the breeder does to breed a dobe whos ears will stand without cropping, as well as with a dane or boxer. It is not possible.

the argument that a tail could be injured untrue.

This is not untrue at all. It's called happy tail and can actully happen to any breed but is common in undocked dobes because their tail is so thin and frail. If you don't believe me call a vet and ask them about happy tail.

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 05:40 PM
No flogging, BeagleMom. I agree with you. As an example, when someone says "Doberman", the picture that comes to my mind is a dobie with cropped ears and tail. I think the cropped ears do look better. Uncropped ears on a dobie gives them the look of a hound to me. I agree that it is a more regal appearance.
That said, I know I would never have the guts to actually bring my little dobie pup (if I had one) to the vets for an ear cropping just for looks.

I don't recall who mentioned this, but I think that the idea that cropped dogs may appear different to other dogs is really fascinating.

babyrocky1
June 1st, 2005, 06:03 PM
I would never crop a dogs ears or tail, it seems mean to me, I dont thinkIve ever seen a dobe that did not have cropped ears though. As far as Pitties being cropped I HATE IT!!!!!! I hate that its been done to them and I hate how it looks. I don't think its always because people are fighting them, but I do think it is solely to make them look mean! I love pittie ears, so soft and cute! And what would a pittie be without that waggilly tail!!! Thats another thing I dont like about tails that have been docked, you cant see the pooch wagging his tail ! : :sad:

Safyre
June 1st, 2005, 06:07 PM
None of the vets in my city does Cropping. I had a long convo with my vet while getting Justices heartworm results a month back anda sked about cropping ... he will never do it, and doesn't know of any other vet in the city that does. He WILL advise of one vet in London if the person is absoltlely insistent that it it does. it is much more expensive to have it done now though, because the procedure is not garunteed. The earscan be damaged, not stand up, be formed incorrectly...
Anyways, the cropping of the ears, i don't agree with. the docking of the tail, to my understanding, that is to be done at 3 days of age, the same time they would normally have dew claws done. fo that reason, I am not as opposed to it.

haha, just wanted to note, my dog is not a breed that would have cropped ears, it came up in conversation.

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 06:18 PM
When I was growing up we had a doberman with cropped ears but one always feel over and looked really stupid. The poor dog went through so many surgeries on his ear and it just never stood up. After that we always kept them floppy and I always though they were much cuter that way anyways. Their tails were always docked though- I donít think Iíve ever seen a Dobie with a full tail, if someone has a pic please post it! I agree that itís a little sad not to be able to see the dog wag its tail when itís cut off.

lilith_rizel
June 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM
Snowdancer, your right, the floppy ears are the cutes. I like that one breed og hound with the houge ears that almost touch the ground. My old neighbor had one, and the ppo little guy always tripped on his ears. He was so cute.

Jackie467
June 1st, 2005, 06:42 PM
I found this pic on the net. Looks like it's from a puppy mill but it was the only pic I could find with a dobie with natural ears and tail.

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 06:49 PM
Her nipples are nearly as long as her tail! Poor girl. I think the ears and tail is cute though, it doesn't look as fragile as I imagined it.

Just out of curiousity, what is happy tail? I have a picture in my head of a dog so happy it wags it's tail off. Somehow the picture doesn't sit quite right to me though :p

Jackie467
June 1st, 2005, 07:11 PM
happy tail happens when a dog wags it's tail so much it hits off of things. This often happens with dogs in crates a lot for whatever reason, like at the vet, or in a shelter where they are in a crate alot, but can also happen outside of a crate. The tail hits things and hits things until it finally starts to crack open and bleed, once the tail has cracked open the dog often continues to wag the tail and it can't heal because it keeps hitting things. Sometimes it will become so bad that the tail will have to be amputated. So this often happens to dogs with thin fragile tails.

mafiaprincess
June 1st, 2005, 07:17 PM
I saw a dane at the dog park that had had it's tail amputated 3x for happy tail.

They tried to take only what was necessary... but it still kept happening. And the 2nd time it got infected cause the dog wanted to take of the vet wrap and gauze and such.

charoscoe
June 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM
I have a Irish wolfhound X who's tail is at least 3 feet long and I love it. I swear he wags it in his sleep.

My favorite is when he's trying to hide, we call his name and hear...bump, bump, bump, bump.

Because he's a mix he's not as tall as a wolfie (thank god) but his tail is perfect coffee table height (so far only 1 accident) our Boston Terrier's head is also coffee table height - poor guy!

He does hit his tail alot on doors, walls furniture and so far he has not had any injuries.

I've had numerous people suggest docking his tail but honestly I don't think he'd be the same dog. He expresses himself with his tail, you know he's happy to see you even when he's too tired to get up and say hello.

As for ear cropping, I would never do it to a pet of mine, but I can see the benefit if you own a dog that suffers from ear infections.

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM
Good to hear from you, charoscoe!

My favorite is when he's trying to hide, we call his name and hear...bump, bump, bump, bump. LOL !!! So funny!

Lissa
June 1st, 2005, 11:34 PM
I've never liked the idea of cropping or docking, I don't think I would ever do it to my pet but now that I know it may help to prevent injuries or infections, I won't be so testy when I see a dog who is cropped or docked!

I also don't like the idea of removing dewclaws unless it's truly necessary. I met a hunter the other day who graphically described how his buddies chop off their newborn puppies dewclaws :mad: . I couldn't believe how common place it is!

I like seeing dogs the way they were naturally meant to be. I always wanted a Bull Terrier but I was doubtful that they would sell me one if I didn't want their dewclaws removed, tail docked or ears cropped? But maybe now that the breed standards are slowly becoming less rigid, they would allow it for a pet quality BT. BUT, finding this site has made me realize how ridiculous it is to buy a purebred for close to or over $2500 when so many animals are homeless. It's something that I no longer have the longing to do because of everyone on Pets.ca! I'm ashamed that I ever even contemplated it, knowing what I know now - that is!

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 12:26 AM
I agree with cropping when the tail is like a whip. Those tails get hurt so often-- I know more than one who has had to have an amputation- a dane who broke through a huge aquarium by wagging. But I only agree if the dog is at risk.

The ears look terrible up. Sorry, but they're all crusty and crunchy. My old Dobie had his done at least 3 times because they just wouldn't stay up. I wish he hadn't had the surgery, but he was a show dog before we got him and that was the norm back then.

I have heard, I forget from where, that dogs with cropped ears can't communicate as well through their ear position, and are picked on or are ignored in play initiation attempts because of their ears. I totally forget who said it, but it might be Stanley Coren. Not sure..
Here:
http://www.doggiesparadise.com/earcropping-dogs.shtml
And a quote from an interview with Stanley Coren:
Q: You write that dogs with docked tails (tails cut off or near their base), such as the boxer or Brittany - and dogs with cropped ears (ears surgically made to stand erect) in breeds such as the great Dane or Doberman are at a social disadvantage.

A: It totally messes up communication. Ears standing straight up mean aggression. How is the approaching dog supposed to know the Doberman's ears have been surgically altered? I believe these dogs have a real handicap, impairing their ability to communicate.
From: http://www.goodnewsforpets.com/test/whats_new/archives/interviews/6b001_coren.htm

Shows are supposed to be a showcase of GENETICS, no? Not a competition to see which doggy has the best cosmetic surgeon. I say LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Cactus Flower
June 2nd, 2005, 12:33 AM
Shows are supposed to be a showcase of GENETICS, no? Not a competition to see which doggy has the best cosmetic surgeon.

Oooooooooooooooh I love it!!!!

***********APPLAUSE*************

BMDLuver
June 2nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
lol, now I have a mental image of dogs lined up for consultation with some of Beverly Hills finest!

Lise
June 2nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
A doberman ears will not stand unless cropped,of course ,ear carriage refers to position of a natural ear on a dobie it is not supposed to hang like a hound so a breeder has to breed for position and the size of ear,so it still looks like a doberman and not a hound.As far as happy tail if that is a concern why don't they dock every breed with a long whippy tail?I used to think cropping was an option,but after seeing it done and the dog coming out of surgery why would anybody risk putting thier baby under and letting somebody cut off part of thier ear?

Beaglemom
June 2nd, 2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks for not flogging me earlier.

About the happy tail. Yes some dogs with long whip-like tails do have more tail injuries than dogs with shorter and thicker tails. They tend to get caught on doors and break. They also do whip them very hard against items and cause sores and can possibly break their tail.

There are breeds that require their tails to be long and whip like. These provide a function. Sight hounds, such as Whippets, Greyhounds, Salukis, Borzois, Italian Greyhounds, etc., use their tail as a rudder. They need their long, thin tails to help them in the hunt (now-a-days on race course). They help them stabilize and turn themselves. If their tails were docked, they wouldn't be able to run as fast or turn sharply without falling over!

Dogs' tails are docked when they are a few days old. Once they are done, they must be watched very closely because in some instances, the mother has and will lick the puppies' tail causing them to bleed to death.

mona_b
June 2nd, 2005, 09:52 AM

Ummmmmmm,BMD,It's a Great Dane.......LMAO :D

Schwinn
June 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
I personally don't think it is cruel, I equate it to plastic surgery. That being said, I don't agree with it either. Why bother? I can understand docking the tail in the case of injury, but I wouldn't do it unless that happened. The docking of the ears I don't agree with either, especially for pits. That's mainly because it makes the dog look completely different and more aggressive, something we don't need with this breed right now. I really think that the reason people think Daisy is so friendly and approach her is because of her floppy ears. It's a great opportunity to give someone a positive pitty experience. I once picked up a calender about pits, and it had two with identical markings side by side, one with cropped ears, the other uncropped. The one looked a little scary, the other looked like a friendly pup. I think, at this point in time, pit-wise, you're doing the breed and yourself more harm than good by docking the ears.

I know after a few whacks in the head by the tail, we joked about getting Daisy's docked. She loves to chase it, and I kept visualizing her looking like the Tazmanian Devil trying to see it, thinking her butt got incredibly fast all of the sudden, then the horror when we decided to finally give her her tail! (Can dogs faint?)

mona_b
June 2nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
I have heard, I forget from where, that dogs with cropped ears can't communicate as well through their ear position, and are picked on or are ignored in play initiation attempts because of their ears. I totally forget who said it, but it might be Stanley Coren. Not sure..

To be honest,I really don't believe any of this at all.I know of many Dobe and Dane owners who have had their dogs ears cropped and have never ever had any of the problems stated.They played no different,or communicated any less with the other ones once they were cropped.My aunt raised 5 Danes,a Newfie and a St.Bernard.One Dane was cropped.And trust me,there was no difference.He listened just as well as the others and never got picked on from the others.And you want to talk about happy tail....OMG...Ever get wacked by 5 Danes and their tails?Talk about major bruising of the legs...LOL

My dog has happy tail,but thank god he has a whack of fur to protect my legs from bruising. :D

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Even dogs with erect ears like huskies or GSD's, they can fully move their ears around- out to the side, flat on their heads, fully erect, etc. Cropped eared doggies don't have that mobility. The skin on the top of the head is removed in chunks such that there is nothing left to stretch and no other expressions can be expressed.

I do know we have one at our park who had a really bad crop job (one ear faces nearly backward) and nobody will play with her except the other dobie who lives with her. She tries and tries to initiate play and you should see the looks she gets from other dogs. Boo is actually afraid of her. The other dobie has natural ears and he plays with EVERYBODY.

I believe this 100% because it's like using sarcasm on a message board. Nobody knows it's sarcasm without body language. If you don't have the body language, you're misunderstood. Cropped doggies are missing a crutial aspect of their body language.

The cropped tails usually have enough left to show submission or dominance, even if it's a nub. And the tail is usually docked at two or three days after birth, before the spinal cord has fully developped in the tail.

Lise
June 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
I agree tail docking is not as cruel as cropping.t is usually done when the puppy is very young and if done correctly there is almost no bleeding the puppies really don't seem to suffer after it's done.They do suffer when there ears are cropped ,it is needless surgery.To say it's like plastic okay,but it's plastic surgery were the patient has no choice.

Jackie467
June 2nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Our dobies never had a problem with other dogs. We had one that loved to play with every dog he saw and as long as the dog was friendly we let them play and none of the probably 100+ dogs he met in his life ever had a problem with him, except a few who just didn't seem to like to play with other dogs period. As far as ear motion our dobies never had a problem with moving their ears, they could move them pretty well.

PS. if you can't get the dogs ears to stand after 2 surguries, they aren't ment to just leave them alone. We had one dobie who had two surguries to make his ears stand one did the other didn't and we just left it alone after that, our vet said he would not do more than 2 sururies. I think he looked even cuter with one ear standing and the other flopping, it gave him character.

Cactus Flower
June 2nd, 2005, 04:02 PM
And you want to talk about happy tail....OMG...Ever get wacked by 5 Danes and their tails?Talk about major bruising of the legs...LOL

I have a bruise on the back of my arm right now- from Raj's tail. I like to tell people that I'm in an abusive relationship (when they ask about my bruises). Watch their face drop. Then add: With my dog :D .

I'll still take the bruises over cutting off her tail, any day.

That said, I didn't know that dobe tails were thin and fragile. I don't think I could judge someone for docking a pup's tail in order to truly protect them from repeated injury.

Princesss04
June 2nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
Chino's tail is abusive it goes 100 miles an hour and ALL the time. He will be drinking out of the toliet and it will go so fast and hit Meater and Meat will look at him like come on give me a break! :D He will lay on the floor almost asleep and it will still be going and the kittens will chase and play with it. It is so cute! :D Justin and I always say he needs to go on Ridalan (spelling)! :D

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2005, 06:17 PM
I always wanted a Bull Terrier but I was doubtful that they would sell me one if I didn't want their dewclaws removed, tail docked or ears cropped?

Not sure what you mean? Don't know if you mean English Bull Terrier or Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but neither breed is docked or cropped. :confused:

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 09:14 PM
Why not the dewclaws? Those get ripped off (the back ones). Better to get the back ones removed.

Lise
June 3rd, 2005, 08:06 AM
Unless called for in breed standard and the dog is being shown,dewclaws should be removed,most good breeders do it when puppies are very young.I've had clients bring in dogs who's dews were so long they were curled over, one even almost into the foot.They don't touch the ground,so there is no wear and it doesn't take long for them to grow.

mona_b
June 3rd, 2005, 08:47 AM
I have a bruise on the back of my arm right now- from Raj's tail. I like to tell people that I'm in an abusive relationship (when they ask about my bruises). Watch their face drop. Then add: With my dog :D

LMAO.....Now that's funny.

I agree Jackie.I have never met a Dobe or Dane that has been cropped that couldn't still have movement with the ears.

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2005, 10:35 AM
I like to tell people that I'm in an abusive relationship
I know what you mean!:p

Pit bulls should have their ears left alone, and their tails docked. Chloe almost broke my nose with hers when I was tying my shoes to take her out, and my guests always leave with bruised shins.

Her tail is the only thing my cats fear. If they are on the sofa when she passes, they all dive for cover when they see The Tail coming. Sometimes they aren't quick enough and get belted.:rolleyes:

Cactus Flower
June 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
Ooooooh I know what you mean, LuckyRescue! My poor little Chloe- as soon as Raj is anywhere near her, she starts squinting- to protect her eyes from Raj's tail!