Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on C.J (the cat who vomits & eats rubber things)

Angerona
June 1st, 2005, 02:28 AM
To find out whole story go here

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15441

Update May 31, 2005

CJ has:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pancreatitis__feline_.html

So far Day 1 of his treatment
at the vet (by the way the really only way to diagnose this is an Ultrasound) He didnt mind his belly shaved & gooey for the ultrasound cause his mommie could help hold him down & talk to him while it was being done :pawprint:

So Day 1 consisted of 1 shot of anti nausa at the vet & the 2nd one I have to do at home (im scared i would hurt him) so I got husband to do it.
Shot 2 Metacam & shot 3 antibotics
Shot 4 of a painkiller
and shot 5 IV in the back of the neck fer under the skin which well he wasnt happy with & proceeded to give me a nip on the hand while I held him.
-Every 3 days he gets 4 shots & the IV for fluids & everyother day meaning a trip every morning to the vet for a Nausa shot & IV (liquids) till he can hold food down without vomiting.
And twice a day Pepcid AC 1/4 of a pill for his tummy.
He is also on Gastro food & gets water & will have to stay in the medium sized dog excerise pen till he is fully better Im not taking any chances. Ive covered the top of the cage with a bed sheet so he cant get out. Will have to cover later with cardboard when he gets stronger *he may want to try to jump out).
I most likely will have to do this for at least a week or longer.
(he got really grumpy tonight) so I put him to bed as the nasua stuff makes him sleepy.

Will let everyone know how it goes in case someone else has a kitty with these problems. I think its $2000+ now in vet bills but well worth it to get him better now that we know whats going on with him. I hope ...soon i hope he should be back to his old or a new self. :sick: :ca:

If anyone has any questions just ask me as we are going through this entire thing with CJ & maybe I can help some others.

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 04:25 AM
You know what? I think you should be the poster model for caring pet owners. I haven't commented before, because I don't have a cat and I really can't advise you in any way. But I have been amazed and impressed by your tenacity, your willingness to keep going back to that vet to look for answers, etc. And you take the time to come back here and update us, on top of everything that's going on.
Do you realize how many people would have dumped this cat by now?
Have you patted yourself on the back lately? Well you should. Bless you for trying (and trying and trying....) to get some relief for your poor little kitty, despite the enormous expense and frustration on your part. You are truly someone who obviously feels a responsibility and love -FOR LIFE- for your pet.

I wish a speedy recovery for your little darlin, and all the best to you!

chico2
June 1st, 2005, 08:41 AM
Angerona,I ditto what CF says,although I would probably do the same were it one of my cats..
It gives me a good feeling reading about someone who goes the whole nine yards for her little cat..good luck to you and CJ :love:
and please keep us updated :thumbs up

Mockingcat
June 1st, 2005, 09:48 AM
As the co-owner of a kitty with ongoing health problems, I salute you for all the good work you do with yours! I know how frustrating and scary it can be with all the vet trips, and waiting for results. You are truly CJ's angel. :)

raingirl
June 1st, 2005, 10:35 AM
Sounds like you have things under control.

I am a little curious though. You say he keeps throwing up things like plastic and rubber bands. Could he not have a bowl blockage? The vet gave him a barrium thing..but the barrium didn't go threw..and he isn't pooping still...or only a little? Nothing showed up on xrays or the ultrasound though?

I would still be concerned that something is stuck in there.

Angerona
June 3rd, 2005, 03:31 AM
Will try to get pics of what he threw up. The Ultrasound showed no blockage. The Barum did stop him up a bit constipation. His poor little bum was red probably from straining.
He isnt eating much I put my finger into his food to feed him. Will have an update later today Friday on his condition & how things are going will also get a few pics of him & show you guys what he vomited up & what his little make shift cage is like. I think way less stress. He does however get very grumpy with me late at nite.
:)

No pooping as of yet but today he had the longest 1 min & a bit pee. So thats good...He hasnt eaten alot so there wont be any poop until he eats a bit more.
Will keep all up to date. Everymorning im up to take him to the vet for fluids & a shot. :sick: :angel: :ca:

Sounds like you have things under control.

I am a little curious though. You say he keeps throwing up things like plastic and rubber bands. Could he not have a bowl blockage? The vet gave him a barrium thing..but the barrium didn't go threw..and he isn't pooping still...or only a little? Nothing showed up on xrays or the ultrasound though?

I would still be concerned that something is stuck in there.