Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Curiousity question, when will my 8 weeks old golden stop biting?

Roach9
May 31st, 2005, 11:33 PM
And what can we do to prevent it. She bites a lot. Sorry for the amount of topics I'm posting, I'm just wondering.

She just tore up a corner in the carpet, we didn't realize she was doing it till now but, she did. Is there a convinient way of punishing her for biting.

Obvioulsy I know nothing severe, she's just a puppy afterall.

Prin
May 31st, 2005, 11:37 PM
You have to teach her. But don't expect a puppy not to chew things. My old lab chewed stuff till she was at least 11...

Search the forums (especially the training one) for biting.

Trinitie
June 1st, 2005, 08:53 AM
Such a young puppy requires almost constant supervision. If you can't supervise, then put her in a crate. Providing adequate chew toys, suitable for a puppy her age, will aide in preventing inappropriate chewing behaviour.

You must learn to expect the unexpected, and not expect so much from such a young dog. She's a baby, and baby's put things in their mouths. Baby dogs, however, have very sharp teeth, and when they put things in their mouths, the things get ruined! :p

When she starts to chew something she's not supposed to, a gentle, but definate, "no", and provide her something else to chew. When she starts to chew it, praise her like crazy. She'll slowly start to learn what is acceptable chewing and what is not. But give it lots of time. Remember, you have a breed that loves to chew and mouth things - and I mean LOVE!

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM
The *yelp-walk away* or "no-shove a toy in* methods didn't work for Diego. What did work was an older dog stealing his toys. He learned to chew his own toys in 2 days. :D

jessi76
June 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM
with my 11wk old pup, I use chew toys w/ treats - such as Kongs. the treats help him learn what he is supposed to chew on and keep him interested in them. When he uses me as his personal chew-toy, i do the yelp & walk away method, which works fairly well - however, if he gets even more excited, and more nippy - we do the time-out method (recommended in our puppy playschool class). simply scoop him up (don't say anything) and put him in his crate for 2-10 minutes, let him out, and it's back to playtime with HIS toys.

SnowDancer
June 1st, 2005, 10:13 AM
As you puppy gets older he will turn his attention to other household objects to chew - baseboards, drywall, etc. You stated in your original post when you were so anxious to get 2 pups but your parents did not, that you were well prepared to train the dog. I fully expect that due to your young age, your mother is the one who trained your first dog and could probably offer you some good advice. I am sure she is not at all surprised by your experience of motherhood.

kandy
June 1st, 2005, 11:40 AM
When Hazel chews on something she isn't supposed to, I tell her "No" in a firm voice while I am taking the object away and then I replace it with one of her toys and say "Chew on this". I have also been working on the "No biting" command - she is getting better about this but she still would rather chew on the hand that is holding the toy than the toy itself sometimes! Give it time and be consistent!