Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question re petfinders

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 31st, 2005, 11:18 PM
Okay this may be an obvious question. But when your looking for a dog on pet finders and you see that no kids symbol. What does it mean? I always assumed it to mean that the dog was not good for kids and not considered the dog, but my husband thinks it means they are worried that kids would not be good with the dog. Is it worth even inquiring about dogs with this symbol? By the way we are going to inquire about another ECS again in washington he seemed to have a good BIO but then hes got the not good with kids symbol.
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4509924&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=429d27c97a73a05e-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
so now I am not so sure. I think we might call anyways just to see what they say. IF he did have a negative history with kids then we wouldn't consider him, but it could be that maybe he hasn't had that much exposure to them.

mafiaprincess
May 31st, 2005, 11:21 PM
The dog doesn't do well with children for one reason or another.

Pretty sure they will not adopt it out if you have kids and it doesn't do well, same with cats and not doing well, or other dogs.

If you look at the top, it technically says: "prefers home without- dogs, kids, or cats' referrign to the symbols, but most of the time when I've been inquiring it means that it doesn't do well, rather than 'preferring' not to be with said animals or kids.

It wouldn't hurt to inquire though.

Safyre
May 31st, 2005, 11:27 PM
it also states that you have to have previous spaniel experience .... do you? (can't remember you're history here)

mafiaprincess
May 31st, 2005, 11:33 PM
I didn't read the dog's story.. didn't see that part. I wonder if previous cocker experience refers to english only...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 31st, 2005, 11:42 PM
Well I actually had a black american cocker named Flopsie when I was younger like 13 if that counts. We had to get her trimmed all the time other wise she would pick stuff up in her fur that young under her belly. Unfortunatlely she had some problems with aggression and ended up passing away at a young age from some disease but I dont know what, as it was a long time ago. I have read up quite a bit on the cocker grooming needs almost the same for the american and english except they are usually cut a bit different. The big thing is to clean their ears everyday as they can get really bad infections and even go deaf. I would be interested in doing the clipping myself once I have learned how. So I feel I have read enough to know the grooming needs and do feel confident that I can keep up with them. Also I have read up quite a bit on the differences between the american and english and I do prefer the english as they are generally more laid back then the american and are usually better with kids. Also in general there is a better chance of getting an ECS without problems then an American as they are more rare. Not to say I don't like the american ones I would just prefer an English one. :)

Sorry to ramble, if it turns out the dog is not good with kids then we will leave it and keep looking.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 31st, 2005, 11:48 PM
I didn't read the dog's story.. didn't see that part. I wonder if previous cocker experience refers to english only...

Not sure, I did have an american see my last post, and I have been doing a lot of research on the breed. They are also considered by most people a good dog for first time dog owners. I defintately can see this breed fitting in with us really well.

LavenderRott
June 1st, 2005, 12:01 AM
Whether or not a dog is good for a first time owner or novice owner has considerably less to do with the breed as it does the individual dog. I had an English Cocker Spaniel and he was one of the worst dogs I ever had. Very food aggressive and would rather chew you to bits then let you come near him with clippers. He only actually managed to bite me once during grooming.

Cinnabear
June 1st, 2005, 01:47 AM
Don't be fooled that an English is better than the American. Both can be nippy with kids or good. Depends on how they were socialized and behavior with kids.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 1st, 2005, 07:16 AM
WE wouldn't get an ECS that is not good with kids whether its from a shelter or a breeder. I have heard both good and bad stories about the breed. Mostly good. I do intend to ask shelters and breeders questions regarding temperment. Here is another unfortunately he is a bit too far for us. He would our needs better than Clancy. Cannot get into the site at the moment but will post later, does say he is good with kids, knows the recall and is good in the car. He is for adoption because his owner past away.

happycats
June 1st, 2005, 07:23 AM
I see that no kids symbol on alot of large breed dogs (they are worried the dog will knock over small kids) same thing with some of the hyper dogs (no small kids because it may knock them over). I also noticed a few rescues like GSD and great dane will not adopt "any" dog to people with kids under 8 ?

I guess they are doing there best to make the perfect lifelong match :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 1st, 2005, 07:53 AM
I guess it means they are doing their job, I do think size wise that smaller dogs are easier for small kids to control than big dogs, (in general it depends on the dog too and even the kids) of course I would be the one controlling him until they got a bit bigger. I would let my oldest walk him supervised but not my youngest, hes only 4 and a half. One breeder said she didn't adopt to families with kids under 6. As she has had problems in the past with young kids. I did respect her for that and she is on the list of possible breeders if we do end up going that route, it was nice to know she cared about the situation she was placing her puppies in.

Mockingcat
June 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM
I also think that a lot of families with young kids go "Oh, it'll be great for the kids to have a dog, they can grow up together', and have no concept of the amount of stress that it will cause in the house. They think dogs just come trained, I think. :)

Another possibility is that the dog may not like children, or be afraid of them. Someone I once worked with had a chihuahua who was afraid of children that she got from a shelter. We always figured he'd lived with children who'd been mean to him. :(

mona_b
June 1st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Don't be fooled that an English is better than the American. Both can be nippy with kids or good. Depends on how they were socialized and behavior with kids.

VERY well put........... :highfive:

This goes with ANY breed.....If they are not socialized with kids or been around kids then guess what,more then likely they will not be good with kids.After reading the posts about researchbulls wanting an ECS,I talked to a co-worker who has one.He emailed some pics I will post.He said to be honest,there is not much of a difference between the both.His sister also has one and they are like 2 different dogs.His dog Diesel is great with kids(he has 2)and his sister doesn't have any.But his sisters dog Baker has somewhat been around kids including his,but is real iffy with them.Baker sees the kids quite a bit,but for some reason just doesn't like them.And when I was much younger my cousin had a black ACS who just loved us to death.

Every breed is different.And it depends on how they are socialized and trained.People say Huskies shouldn't be off leash.My sister has 3.They are on a farm with lots of property.The kids play ball and fetch with them.And not once have they taken off.These are very well trained dogs.Same with Drako,aka Diefenabaker from Due South.I know Paul Gross from the show so I watched alot of the tapings.This dog was mostly off leash.The breeder is in Ottawa and also had one of their dogs in the movie Snow Dogs.It was Yodel.

Sorry about getting a bit off topic...... :)

Here are some pics of Deisel.

mona_b
June 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM
And here is another one.

SnowDancer
June 1st, 2005, 11:40 AM
LavenderRott - My husband was on a plane and his seat mate told him that his English Cocker had been "banned for life" from his groomers for biting twice. He had asked that the dog be muzzled while being groomed (personal experience from giving the dog a bath at home), but they would do it. Turns out the groomer is just up the street from ours - so we passed on her name as she will muzzle the dogs, but gently. I certainly have no problem with it and sometimes procedures - even nail trimming - can be hard.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 1st, 2005, 07:10 PM
Diesel is very beautiful he looks like a silver roan if there is such a thing.

Well my husband seems on board now and is actually doing some research and helping us find an ECS yes I still want them even though there not all perfect, but that can be said of other breeds to it all depends on the circumstances surrounding the dog right, there are wonderful ECS and some not so good. Anyways he called ECS rescue and actually spoke to the lady that ran it, she gave us alot of good info and where are best bet to get a dog, she said they don't usually show up in rescues as ECS rescue usually gets a hold of them. She informed us of one dog that we were interested in that was going to be adopted out without any testing medical etc... and also of a breed for profit kennel in Alberta. She said our best bet was a breeder in Utah that had some adult dogs that we could talk too, he said that the breeder might be willing to meet us halfway if something worked out. Also we are on the ECS rescue wait list for July. Anyways thanks for all the feedback :crazy: :evil: my son made me pick this one what a :crazy: guy

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 1st, 2005, 08:23 PM
Oh we asked about the not good with kids. She said it could mean that the dog may have had negative experiences with kids, or vice versa. IT could also mean that the dog has had no exposure to kids so there would be no guarantee that it would be good with kids.