Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

paw licking

MollysMommy
May 31st, 2005, 08:09 PM
Do dogs lick their paws when they are hot? My boyfriend's dogs both were very warm today after being outside and he noticed that they both had licked their paws extensively. Is it a way to try and cool off? It was 81 degrees F outside today...

Mockingcat
May 31st, 2005, 09:40 PM
I've never heard of a dog licking its paws to cool itself off, however, paw licking is a very common sign of food allergies. Has he switched their food lately?

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 09:44 PM
actually I always thought it was a way of cooling off too.

as a side note, if the dogs were playing on cement, it gets quite hot on cement, or ashphalt so perhaps their paws were uncomfortable due to this and they were licking them to alleviate that.

I also think dogs do wash their paws a bit, jsut not to the same extent cats do.

Ive seem sam lick his feet and also wash his "bits" after he has a pee.

Eleni

Prin
May 31st, 2005, 10:24 PM
My Jemma licks her paws because she's allergic to ragweed (in Aug/Sept) and it makes her feet itchy when she runs on it. I think she's getting allergic to grass too...

I say it's an allergy. Whether it's mild or not, if the doggy is licking excessively, you should get it checked out.

Beaglemom
June 1st, 2005, 08:30 AM
I've been told by vets that excessive paw licking is a sign of allergies. Our maltese x (R.I.P.) used to lick her paws all the time in the summer. She used to stain her toes with the licking she did. She had allergies. Another sign of allergies to look for is face rubbing.

db7
June 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM
Dogs don't have heat sensitive receptors. They can't feel heat. You could put a hot pan against them and they won't react until they are so hot the skin burns and they feel pain.

Don't try this at home folks!

kandy
June 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM
I don't know about the allergy thing - never had a dog with allergies, but I do know that dogs have sweat glands between their toes. The only time our dogs have ever licked at their feet alot was if they had something stuck in between the pads or a cut on a pad or something. Did you check the pads to make sure that there is nothing stuck or that the pads or the skin in between isn't irritated? I would agree that if it continues, a visit to the vet would be in order.

MollysMommy
June 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone...I told my boyfriend what you all said and he said this was the first time he noticed it. If it continues to happen, he plans to have them checked out. They weren't on the grass because they like to hang out on the cement...go figure. So who really knows. We're keeping an eye on them though.