Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hair in cat's eye. Help!

frogster1
May 31st, 2005, 07:02 PM
Hello, I have a black, short haired female cat that sheds a lot of hair. Today I found that a cat hair has gotten in one of her eyes and is lying on her eyeball. What do I do about this? Do I need to try to remove it? And if so, how? Or will she work it out on her own? Is having a hair on the eyeball as bothersome to a cat as it would be to a human? What should I do?

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2005, 07:04 PM
Having a hair in the eye doesn't seem to bother cats at all. It bothers me more than it bothers them.:p

You can try and gently manipulate the eyelid to get the hair out, but it will be okay even if you don't.

Daizy
June 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM
I had this with my dog the other day & I just rubbed gently his closed eyelid in circles and the hair seemed to come half way out and I was able to get it. I guess it gets sort of stuck on the eyeball and one has to get it moving. But it didn't seem to bother her only me.

levimh
June 1st, 2005, 11:44 AM
I don't think hair on the eye is anything to worry about. I've noticed, once or twice, that my dog, Levi, would have them on his eye. I would make a big fuss about it and say "Oh, does that hurt? Are you okay?" He couldn't care less. I didn't try and remove it, but it eventually came out on it's own.

CyberKitten
June 1st, 2005, 03:31 PM
I agree - just gently message the hair out - your kitty may lick it out herself.

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 03:38 PM
This may sound a little bit gross: use your tongue to lick the hair out, hehe, the tongue is warm and soft, won't hurt the eyeball. My grandma used to do this on me when I had eyelash in my eye.