Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone have experience with Boston Poodles?

Mom2many
May 31st, 2005, 04:08 PM
Hi There,

Very new to this site, but have been visited a few times as a guest. I love it here! So, I am very interested in getting a Boston Poodle and have already been talking to a breeder. I think I finally settled on a female, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and can tell me what they think.

Thanks in advance!

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 04:19 PM
do you mean as in a boston poodle crossbred?

I would not consider anyone having such puppies to be a breeder, at least not one thats legit.

there is alot of info on puppy mills and backyard breeders on this site, do a search for it, and you will find a wealth of information.

in short no breeder will breed a crossbred dog ethically.

so id stay away from any such breeder
if you want a dog to love and its a poodle cross go to a rescue, there are many many dogs needing homes that are bred as a designer dog and then dumped by families

Eleni

SnowDancer
May 31st, 2005, 06:41 PM
I agree with Eleni - unless of course there happens to be a Poodle called a "Boston Poodle" which I doubt, but then you never know. If it is one of the new-fangled cross breeds where you can count on the poor pup getting 50% of the worse genes from each puppy, then I would pass. To be safe, I would ask my vet - since I note from your profile you have cats, this should be easy. Just try not to see the pup (too late no doubt) - but definitely do not take her home - until you know for sure. Also how much will this dog weight? Remember you have cats. My cat weights 22 lbs. Consider the ramifications.

raingirl
May 31st, 2005, 06:58 PM
I did some searches on Google and there is no such thing as a Boston Poodle, so it must be a cross between a boston terrier and a poodle. A cross between two breeds is not a breed, it is a mutt.

If you have info to tell us that this is a real breed, feel free to post it. We would love to hear it.

People here do not condon cross breeding between breeds as it is considered unethical. The only place you can get those are from Back Yard Breeders or Puppy Mills, not Breeders. If the person you are thinking of buying from is breeding two breeds together, she is not a Breeder, she is just breeding mutts that add to the pet population. Go to www.google.com and type in either of those terms (Puppy Mill or Back Yard Breeder) for more info.

If you are looking for a cross breed, there are tons of dogs and puppies in shelters and rescues everywhere. Go to www.petfinder.com and search for animals close to your postal code/zip code

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2005, 08:07 PM
These dogs are mongrels. Please don't let a money-hungry ripoff artist con you into paying big bucks.

The most you should pay for a mongrel is 250$ - 350$ AND that price should include the cost of spaying/neutering and vaccinations. This is what most rescues charge for mixed breed puppies.

glasslass
May 31st, 2005, 08:22 PM
I'm a poodle person, but never heard of a "Boston Poodle". Sounds like someone breeding designer pups with an eye for marketing. Run fast and far!

ILoveMutts!
May 31st, 2005, 08:37 PM
I don't see anything wrong with a poodle mix per se. I do think it's extremely wrong to support puppy mills and people who breed dogs out of greed. Please do a google search on puppy mills and back yard breeders as you were advised, and then look for a dog, any kind of dog you like, in a shelter.

It's not about market values. It's about fighting the exploitation of animals.

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 09:20 PM
Yes, I believe that the breed we are talking about here is a mix of a Boston Terrier and a poodle. Personally I have nothing against mixed breeds, I have owned them my whole life and they have always been excellent dogs.

This "Breeder" that you are talking about may not be an official breeder but may just be someone selling pups that their dog had by accident or something. You should check with them to see if they have more litters coming up or if this was a one time shot. Also see if they have other breeds of puppies available. If they do then you can almost say puppy mill right away. If not, I wouldn't be as hesitant.

Either way, this is a pup that has already been born so the way I see it, even if you were to get another one from a rescue, this one could end up there one day too and then you would have missed out on the one that you really wanted.

I would say go with your gut and do your research. :) :)

Good Luck!

savannah
June 1st, 2005, 08:44 AM
What in the world does a bosten terrier - poodle mix look like? I can only imagine. If the mom of the litter was the poodle (mini?) i feel for her delivering the pups with the boston's big heads!
That breeder is most likely a byb, and please stay away from her. She is only in it for the money and not for the well being of her dogs.

levimh
June 1st, 2005, 08:54 AM
Here's a pic of one, I found. Cute little sruffy guys.
http://pics.hoobly.com/full/1dd637218b328d03918fb6ecd71b9b2e.jpg

I agree with everyone else. You shouldn't pay too much for them as they are just "designerdogs". And whoever "breeds" them should be able to tell you all about them. I'm sure they have many Boston Terrier and Poodle characteristics. I'd look up both of the breeds myself to get an idea.

Dukieboy
June 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Bostons often have difficulty welping when bred amongst themselves I can't imagine why you would purposely mix these two breeds.

mona_b
June 1st, 2005, 09:29 AM
This is definately not a reputable breeder as a reputable breeder whould NEVER breed 2 different breeds together.This is what we call a BYB who is in it for the money only...Let me guess,they are going for around $400?Be prepared for high vet bills...But IMHO,I wouldn't get one.What do you know about this person?And if this person is selling them as a purebred poodle,then run for the hills cause there is no such thing as a Boston Poodle.

zoey22
August 18th, 2005, 07:18 PM
As a matter of fact I have the most loving and cute dog in the world and she happens to be a Boston Poodle. I'm not sure why everyone is so against it if the puppy comes from a breeder that home raises them and loves them until they sell them. Someone mentioned this kind of dog probably has 50% of the bad genes from both breeds and I beg to differ because she has 50% of the best genes of both breeds! :thumbs up She is the best tempered dog I've met (and she happens to love to give lots of kisses! :love: ). The vet said she is an extremely healthy little dog. So I definitely recommend getting one :)

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Nobody is saying that there is anything wrong with having a mix breed dog. The problem is with someone who breeds their dogs with no intent to offer anything to their lines, including heath testing to lessen genetic problems, selective breeding. It is also a problem when someone is selling a dog as a breed when they are only a cross.

LavenderRott
August 18th, 2005, 07:28 PM
As a matter of fact I have the most loving and cute dog in the world and she happens to be a Boston Poodle. I'm not sure why everyone is so against it if the puppy comes from a breeder that home raises them and loves them until they sell them. Someone mentioned this kind of dog probably has 50% of the bad genes from both breeds and I beg to differ because she has 50% of the best genes of both breeds! :thumbs up She is the best tempered dog I've met (and she happens to love to give lots of kisses! :love: ). The vet said she is an extremely healthy little dog. So I definitely recommend getting one :)

You are pretty lucky. People who breed mixed breed dogs do it for MONEY!! It isn't for love of the breed because there is no such breed as a Boston Poodle.

So, to cut costs, the dogs don't get vet care, prenatal care or after pregnancy care. They most likely were never tested for genetic disease.

Most small dogs are susceptible to the same group of genetic diseases, so your dog has 100% of the bad genes from both breeds.

And I have never met a puppy miller or back yard breeder that didn't claim that all pups are raised in a loving family environment. So if you didn't visit your breeder's house to pick out your pup - I wouldn't count on that being the case.

jjgeonerd
August 18th, 2005, 07:39 PM
The problem is that it is just a mutt...like any other. I agree that mutts make wonderful pets (mine is a mutt); HOWEVER, there is an animal overpopulation problem. Many animals are put to sleep, puppies included, because homes cannot be found for them. The Seattle Humane Society euthanizes quite a few animals per month because they can't adopt them out. Supporting someone who is breeding mutts just makes the problem worse. Additionally, they are always in it for the money so the dogs are often mistreated...for instance, having litters too close together. Health problems are another issue.

If you want a mutt (or maybe even a purebred), search petfinder. I guarantee you can find an adorable puppy or dog there that would love to be adopted. You can probably even find a designer "Boston Poodle" like the one mentioned. Why would someone pay a lot of money for a mutt, when they are available from a rescue for MUCH cheaper? Personally I'd rather save a life than encourage BYB's to have more puppies and add to the population problem.

Wudjah
August 18th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I don't know about boston/poodles but I fostered a boston/cavalier king charles spaniel mix and he was the best!! Conformation wise he was badly cow-hocked and his puppy teeth didn't fall out when his adult teeth came in, but he was a little love bug. He came from a byb who sold him to an irresponsible owner who dumped him at a dog pound who sold him to young mother who brought him to our shelter when the neighbours complained about his nails clicking on the floor. This was all before he was 6 months old!!!!!!!!! MORAL: If you want a designer breed, check out your local humane society or dog pound - you'll find one there eventually!!!!!

CyberKitten
August 18th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Ahhh, more designer dogs and on the dreaded Hoobly, ughhhhhh!!!

I had a beloved poodle - a minature white guy and I know the breed well. I also once dog sat a Boston Terrier - if this is what we are referring to. Lovely dog but I much oreferred my poodle. :)

IF you really want to try a designer breed er cute mongrel dog, check Petfinder or a rescue. You won't pay a fortune and while you will know about as much as you would from the byb who sells so called designers, you will at least not be adding to the overpopulation problem.

Your best bet tho might be to adopt a real poodle. Poodles are a known quantity and just delightful and wonderful dogs. I am a tad biased but I love the breed!

Sneaky
August 19th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I remember back in the days only 5-10 years ago when
a cross breed puppy of even 2 purebred but different breed dogs:
eg. when i was a kid we had a rhodesian ridgeback-lab cross, both parents
purebreeds, and these pups were $50 each!
About that time you could get any cross breed pups (bichon-shihtzu, lab-poodle, sheperd-dobie) for about $50 dollars.
Now people want 800 dollars for a bichon shihtzu cross, and that is
just ridiculous.
Honestly, I would just go to the local spca if you want a mongrel.