Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Keeps burying his chew toys

Gripenfelter
May 31st, 2005, 03:50 PM
My dog keeps burying his bones and rawhide bones and continues to chew on our deck while we're at work.

He chews on the bones for about an hour or two and then buries them and continues to chew on our beautiful deck lol.

What can I do to deter him?

Schwinn
May 31st, 2005, 04:34 PM
Bury the deck?

Dog Dancer
May 31st, 2005, 04:35 PM
When our dog used to chew the bark off the trees in the yard we would put tobasco sauce on the tree trunk. She didn't like the sauce. What if you tried hanging something for the dog to chew on (like a tire swing that he could chew) a bone that he would have to either chase around because it swings away or one that reaches the ground but just so he can't drag it away or choke himself with the rope? I've seen a thing where pitts were hanging on the tires swinging around. Looked like fun actually! My old dog used to bury her bones too - once she burried one and then dug it up and put it under my pillow :yuck:

Prin
May 31st, 2005, 09:37 PM
Dogs, to my knowledge, only bury stuff when they have PLENTY of it. So here's this doggie thinking, "I'll save these really great toys because I have plenty of deck left"... :D

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 09:47 PM
my only suggestion is crate him or put him in a room of the hosue when your at work,

the only way to stop him from chewing something inappropriate is to supervise him and never give him the oppertunity to chew it.

Sam likes to sneak some f the kids toys to his bed.

i ahve to crate him any time I leave the house because of this, its just not safe for him to be chewing thigns not meant to be chewed.

im not sure of the safety of chewing the deck either, does it splinter? id be worried about splinters.

Eleni

Prin
May 31st, 2005, 10:23 PM
What about the treated wood too? Is that toxic?

db7
June 1st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Yes pressure treated wood is toxic - heavy metals. You shouldn't even let your kids play on it.

mona_b
June 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM
the only way to stop him from chewing something inappropriate is to supervise him and never give him the oppertunity to chew it.

I totally agree..

Boredom also can be another sign of chewing.And just a suggestion,but it's not a good idea to leave your pup out by himself while no one is home.Sorry,but that is just one of my petpeeves.One day you just might come home to a missing pup,or even worse,a dead one.

I would never leave my adult dog outside alone when we were not home.Mind you,good luck if you wanted to steal him.You would definately be loosing a leg as you tried to get over the fence.And I am definately not worried if someone wanted to poisen him.He has been trained NOT to take anything from anyone until he gets the ok.Heck,I can leave a steak on the kitchen table and it will still be there when I got home.Yes he spends some time alone outside,but that is only when one of us is home.He is a retired working dog who still loves to be outside.And I wouldn't take that away from him.

Seriously though,please do not leave him outside when no one is home.I wouldn't even trust leaving him in a kennel if you built one outside.If someone wanted to steal your pup,they would do anything to get him.

Mockingcat
June 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM
I would be very concerned about your dog munching on your deck if it's pressure treated wood. It can be extremely toxic to people and animals... the chemical they use to preserve it contains arsenic!

I would suggest buying some bitter apple spray and coating the deck, or investing in a crate so that you dog isn't unsupervised while you're not there. :)