Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trip to South America

nymph
May 31st, 2005, 02:34 PM
Hubby and I are planning a trip to South America later this year, perhaps around Sept-Oct, for about 3-4 weeks. Our focus would be history/arts/culture/nature (we are like day hikers only). We really want to visit Argentina and Peru, perhaps also Brazil, Chile and Bolivia if time/buget permit.

Can anyone recommend an itinerary, where to stay/dine, must-see places and tips on travel in general?

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2005, 03:40 PM
Have you looked into whether they have some type of hostels, posadas, pensionnes? They are normally great for these kinds of things. You can get around from town to town via buses and stay cheaply at night. Most have the minimum amenities needed. I would then go to a travel agent and ask for information on all the spots you want to travel to. You don't have to book anything to get information. Or go to CAA/AAA, they have tons of stuff available as well. Then surf the internet for attractions, information about each area, etc... That's what we did before going to Greece to make sure we saw some of the things we wanted to. Also find out about vaccinations that you made need or medications that you might need to take while there.

iRONKNiGHT
May 31st, 2005, 05:05 PM
I can get you more information but for starters did you check out
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1741041635.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg click here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0864421990/qid=1117576885/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-2074473-6955066?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) for more info.

These "Shoestring" books are great.. they tell you "where to go" "what to see" and what to expect! Plus all kinds of tips from health to safety!
Next time i head to South America i'll be taking my "South America on a Shoestring" guide book..

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the great tips! I just started to do research about this region, and it seems to me that it's cheaper to join a tour group. I'm not a fan of tour groups since it is inflexible and doesn't cater to our particular interest.

There is so much to see in that vast continent, and I think that my initial estimate was too bold, I really need to sit down and study the countries.