Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male or Female?

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 02:31 PM
What gender do you prefer? A friend of mine is getting a puppy and trying to decide between male or female.

Writing4Fun
May 31st, 2005, 02:35 PM
I voted that it doesn't matter, but hubby prefers females. Only because he'd rather not run into the dog's "thingy" while giving a belly rub. :p

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Good one!

My parents will only get females as well. I have a male and he is great too.

greaterdane
May 31st, 2005, 02:40 PM
I have always been biased to male dogs. I have one female dog and she is my little dream. Since she is going to be around for about 19 years and does not like other female dogs in the house, I guess I am only going to be allowed to have male dogs. Now my horses on the other hand, I have only ever owned one male horse, the rest were females. And just from personal opinon, he was more head strong then they were and they tended to get very very moody lol, and thats coming from someone who has has 5 female horses and only one male lol

kandy
May 31st, 2005, 02:48 PM
I have always been of the mind that a female dog will bond better with a male owner and a male dog will bond better with a female owner. I also think that males tend to be a little more aggressive and can be a little harder to control. Of course, each dog is its own individual so you never know. :)

Cactus Flower
May 31st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Females females and ONLY females for me......

Vas
May 31st, 2005, 03:05 PM
What gender do you prefer? A friend of mine is getting a puppy and trying to decide between male or female.

I don't know if it is true but I've read that females are able to keep their bladder longer than males so it's easier to housebreak.
I think females are gentlier, but it depends from dog to dog. There can be a mellow male as there can be an agressive female. After they are neutered there shoudn't be any difference left.

Beaglemom
May 31st, 2005, 03:06 PM
I voted that it doesn't matter, but it depends. In my lifetime, we have had only 1 male, all the other dogs that we have owned have been female. I would like to show some day, but do not care to breed, in this case I would prefer to have a male so that I don't have to deal with heat cycles since to show a dog, they must be intact. I've always loved boxers and would love to own one someday, in this case I would prefer to have a female as they tend to have a smaller body frame.

mini_shnoo
May 31st, 2005, 03:08 PM
I have had several male dogs and one female. I loved them all equally but I tend to look for a male. The female seemed to be higher strung and left a lot of dead grass spots in the lawn. The males seem to really get along with me.

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 03:14 PM
I ahve owned both male and female dogs.

I always found female dogs to be a bit moodier, and my male dogs were always HUGE sucks.

i ahve no preferance one way or another, I go for personality more then anything

Eleni

melanie
May 31st, 2005, 05:12 PM
female, i have always been told that female dogs are better for females, apparently the theory is that they will be closer to you, stronger bond and far more protective than a male, i dont know if tis true, but my little girl is very overprotective.

and boys smell more, my vet reckons that girl dogs dont stink like boys do, and all the boy dogs he and i have ever know have stunk alot more than the girls. see i was ritght after all, BOYS DO STINK :p

Mockingcat
May 31st, 2005, 05:29 PM
I don't think it really matters... whatever I've decided to adopt, I always met the perfect pet in the other gender. *LOL* I just try to let nature take it's course, and see who I end up with.

I tend towards males, at least in my head, but that's because I know that fixing them is a less invasive procedure, and I'm a complete worry wort!

LittleLoves
May 31st, 2005, 06:27 PM
I have both, but have to say "male". Lady is MOODY! :rolleyes:

levimh
May 31st, 2005, 08:26 PM
I prefer females, because my first pet was a female. After that I've gotten two male animals. I found my female got attached to me more than my males did. When I went to the SPCA to get a dog, I wasn't considering gender (you can't really) and Levi just sucked me in. So, he's my little baby boy now and I love him to pieces, but I still prefer females. :)

Prin
May 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Depends on the sex of the owner. I find male dogs bond better with female humans and female dogs bond VERY STONGLY with male humans.

Also, males tend to be harder to train not to run away or wander away than females, so if this is a pet for a family, female might be better.

I won't vote till I know who the doggy is for.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 31st, 2005, 09:55 PM
I think I would get a girlie this time as I already live with three boys.

Prin
May 31st, 2005, 10:08 PM
But then you'll be left out.. If you get a male doggy, chances are it'll be YOUR doggy, and care for YOU more than the rest... If you get a female, she'll latch onto one or more of the boys and you'll have to get a second dog. ;)

glasslass
May 31st, 2005, 11:47 PM
Neutered males! They are such happy-go-lucky, up-front, little boys. My parents had a female and she was so much more complex than the males. And it wasn't gender biased toys either. Boys are different than girls!

Cinnabear
June 1st, 2005, 12:31 AM
I have males. For personality there is qualities to look at when getting a puppy, but is not related to sex. Either sex will bond to your friend.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 1st, 2005, 06:57 AM
Well Prin all of the ones we see on pet finders are so far all boys so I guess we will see, maybe we should get to so my boys can bond with a girl.

Lise
June 1st, 2005, 07:07 AM
I voted female,We've got three dogs and five cats all spayed girls.My husband says he doesn't stand a chance with two daughters as well ,oh well one of the rats is a boy!

mona_b
June 1st, 2005, 08:54 AM
I voted male....Growing up we only had males.And my dogs have been males.I never had any problems with house training.They had full run of the house by 6 months.They never wanted to wander away or take off.They actually stuck like glue to me.My current GSD worked with my brother for a little over 5 years.He bonded great with him.Guess he had to though...LOL..But he still bonded with me(his mommy) better. :D ...I have never had a bad experience owning males.And I had no problems training them.They were actually easy to train. :) ..And they bonded great with my daughter.So with me,I will always have males. :)

BoxerRescueMTL
June 1st, 2005, 09:08 AM
This might just be with boxers, but *in general* the males are more goofy, happy go lucky and big babies with their owners. Females *in general* tend to be a little more aloof and independant, like little princesses. I have 2 males right now plus my b/f so I'm adding another female into the mix next spring. I need another princess around here, I'm all alone. :queen:

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 09:10 AM
I voted "doesn't matter". Initially we only wanted males, but seeing my friend's female golden retriever, I now think it really doesn't matter. As long as the dog is healthy, I don't really care. Lots of people prefer females because "they are more laid back", I don't know how true is that. There is probably far less difference between male/female than between different breeds.

kellyla
June 1st, 2005, 09:21 AM
I voted it doesnt matter .Both of our previous dogs were female and I thought that was what we wanted again.When we went to the shelter,we went with a particular female in mind but took one look at Boston and we now have a male dog for the first time.He does gravitate to the males in this house(I am the only female)but when it is just the two of us at home he usually doesnt leave my side.

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 01:56 PM
I don't believe the "male dogs will bond more with female humans, female dogs will bond with male humans" theory.

Raj is female, and has bonded strongest with me (rather than my teenage son).
Chloe is female, and bonded strongest with me (rather than my son- or my ex, who was with me when I got her, and was around for a long time afterwards).
Same with Kiva (R.I.P), who came before either Raj or Chloe.
And same for Dacia (R.I.P) who came before everyone else.

Growing up, we had a male dog named Scooter, who bonded strongest with my stepfather, despite my best efforts.

Does anyone remember a television series- I think it was called "Dinosaurs" (not sure if you had it in Canada)? It was a family of dinosaurs, and the baby dinosaur always called his father "NOT THE MOMMY". That's pretty much how Raj is. She really just "tolerates" attention from other people. She does come off as a bit of a snoot.

Writing4Fun
June 1st, 2005, 02:03 PM
This might just be with boxers, but *in general* the males are more goofy, happy go lucky and big babies with their owners. Females *in general* tend to be a little more aloof and independant, like little princesses. I have 2 males right now plus my b/f so I'm adding another female into the mix next spring. I need another princess around here, I'm all alone. :queen:
LOL! That's been my experience as well, although we've never had a boxer, so I guess it "generally" applies to all dogs. The males tend to be "dumb jocks" (of the tongue lolling, "d'uh huh" persuasion), while the females are more ... well ... feminine. That was another reason we got a female dog - between hubby, our two boys and all the testosterone running around on a dirt-biking or paintballing week-end - heck, even the cat is male - I was starting to feel a little out numbered! :crazy:

Shamrock
June 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Interesting poll, and quite evenly divided between the genders.
I voted it doesnt matter.
I've always had a "slight" preference for female dogs, but the little male I have now is wonderful and to me is proof that males can bond just as well and be just as affectionate. :)

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM
I wonder how much difference there really is between male and female dogs or how much is just superimposed from what we think of as human male/female differences? People always assume my girl is a boy because she is so goofy and energetic. And I've met many male dog "prissies"!

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM
Interesting thought, Kayla.

I can tell you why I don't prefer male doggies. I do find them to be more instinct-driven, therefore a bit harder to train. Of course there are exceptions to everything. Some breeds I swear are just born to please. When you're training them, they look at you like "Just as soon as I understand what you're asking me to do- I'll do it! I promise! Anything for you!" (German Shepherds come to mind, among others).

But girls don't do as many rude things in front of company, because.....well I hope I don't have to explain that one. It has to do with plumbing.

And they don't have their thang come shlooping out to just hang around for a while.
Ick.

Ohhhhh I know I just put myself in the firing line!
:p

Writing4Fun
June 1st, 2005, 04:18 PM
And they don't have their thang come shlooping out to just hang around for a while.
Ick.
Bwaaahaahaahaaahaaaa!!!!http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-laugh9.gif

A friend of mine refers to it as their "lipstick". :D :p

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM
LIPSTICK!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM
Haha, I forgot that part of about having a male dog. Can I change my vote? :p

Vas
June 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM
But girls don't do as many rude things in front of company, because.....well I hope I don't have to explain that one. It has to do with plumbing.

Ick.
:p

Does it happen even when they are neutered?? Just curious! :)

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 05:30 PM
Yes, even if they are neutered.

Jackie467
June 1st, 2005, 05:31 PM
yup still happens when they are neutured.

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM

Ok I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, but how does it have to do with plumbing? (probably obvious, I'm having a slow day)

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 05:51 PM
wait, i think i just figured it out. plumber... cleaning... pipes, yes, all coming back to me now.

neutered males continue to do it, even my girl dog does it!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 1st, 2005, 05:56 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong but female dogs like to shop and male dogs never ask for directions.

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 06:45 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong but female dogs like to shop and male dogs never ask for directions.

LOL far too funny! My bf NEVER asks for directions he'll drive around for hours before admitting defeat. I don't even let him drive anymore, it wastes far too much time! :D He also loves shopping way more than me, but it's the 21th century so he's allowed :p

Prin
June 1st, 2005, 11:02 PM
If you get them neutered very early, the odds of ever seeing the lipstick are greatly reduced.

Zach Braff calls it a lipstick in the outtakes of Garden State... "The lipstick touched me!!"

I usually bond WAY better with males. I have enough bi*chiness to have the whole household covered... But at the same time, Jemma is so sensitive to my moods and always knows what to do to make me feel better. I think more important than sex is teaching your doggy to hug... :pawprint:

Cactus Flower
June 1st, 2005, 11:27 PM
Baloney.

The male dogs I've known that do this were neutered very early. I see them regularly (and more of them than I care to see, quite frankly.....). The dog we had when I was growing up was neutered early as well, and did the same thing.

Removing the testicles doesn't have anything to do with the shlooping factor. I'd love to see your evidence to the contrary.

My friend's male chihuahua did it so often- it got STUCK out there :eek: . She said she thinks it would happen whenever he was hot (don't know if this is what causes it or not). Poor lil guy. His, er, lipstick was unusually out of proportion with his body. They joked that it was almost bigger than him. Ended up having to go to the vet to try to get it to retract again!

kayla
June 1st, 2005, 11:35 PM
My friend's male chihuahua did it so often- it got STUCK out there :eek: . She said she thinks it would happen whenever he was hot (don't know if this is what causes it or not). Poor lil guy. His, er, lipstick was unusually out of proportion with his body. They joked that it was almost bigger than him. Ended up having to go to the vet to try to get it to retract again!

LOL, thanks for the laugh! :D

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
I have always prefered males why I don't know. My parents have had both when I was growing up but I like the boys, human and doggy type. I'm so cheep.

mona_b
June 2nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
. Of course there are exceptions to everything. Some breeds I swear are just born to please. When you're training them, they look at you like "Just as soon as I understand what you're asking me to do- I'll do it! I promise! Anything for you!" (German Shepherds come to mind, among others).

Exactly.And I think this is why I have a love for this breed(GSD).Grew up with them.And promised myself I would own one of my own.And did when I was 17.

As for the "thang" happening with neutered dogs,YES it does happen.I wasn't going to post this pic before because of it,but since we are on the topic of it,I will.This is Tron with his "thang"...LOL

If it needs to be removed,PLEASE let me know........ :D

Vas
June 2nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Concerning female dogs, what behavioral and physical changes can be seen after spayig? Will their menstruation disappear?

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Oh yeah it is the same as us having a historectomy, all gone the baby basket has been removed.

nymph
June 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
I wasn't sure what it was the first time I saw Diego's "thang", it was rather cute, yes I'm not ashamed to say that.

Cactus Flower
June 2nd, 2005, 02:33 PM
LOL Mona! It's still a great picture of your handsome boy. Maybe he's just pointing at the food bowl....

Oh gosh Nymph, I sincerely hope you're not offended by my "thang" comments. I know you love your doggie, thang and all, and have every reason to. This is a problem on MY part, not the part of male dogs. It's a natural phenomenon that I need to work on accepting.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 2nd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Well I voted girl dog but if an English Cocker spaniel expert said we should get a boy dog we would.

Prin
June 2nd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Why would an english cocker expert say male?

I love my male and every male I have ever had. Lipstick or not, all doggies have the potential to be great.

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 08:36 PM
I also read that BC males make better pets than females. The females are more independent which leads to less attachment as a pet. This possessiveness can also lead to territorial tendencies that result in the female trying to dominate the human owner (and succeeding in doing so), she may aggressively try to keep other people away from the object of her affection. Males are more mellow and generally happier fellows to be around. Now with Tucker he has been trying to determine his domanancy in our family, him and I have had a few run ins about this, so I can't see a female trying to be more dominant than him, but all dogs are different eve in the same breed so I don't know. My friend had his sister from a previous litter (but she was killed by a car)I never seen her act dominant although she was only a year when she died, but she had a bad habbit of wondering off very independent, this is how she got hit by the car. Tucker is happier to be with his family and normally returns when called when off leash, so it is hard to tell.

mona_b
June 3rd, 2005, 08:52 AM
LOL Mona! It's still a great picture of your handsome boy. Maybe he's just pointing at the food bowl..

ROTFLMFAO....... :D

Thank you for the compliment CF.... :)

I agree dogg lover that dogs are different in the same breed.My sister has a female BC..Abbigail(Abbey)..She is a great family dog.Loves everyone.Doesn't get jelous.Always has to be there where you are.She's very obedient,listens very well.All in all she;s a great dog.The kids taught her "smiley face"..When you say this to her she actually smiles.It's cute.