Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for clarification

Jono
May 31st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Good afternoon all,
Haven't been on for a while, I kind of dropped out after our move, to take some time to get things at our house in order. So this may have been covered before, but I'm hoping to get some clarification on the process.
As we all know, bill 132 goes into effect at the end of August, so we'll have to start muzzling Rosie then. I also know that we can't fight the bill until it goes into effect. Actually I remember hearing somewhere that we can't take it to court until someone tries to enforce it at some point, that's when the lawyers get involved... can anyone confirm this?
At that point, what's the process? Will they attempt to get an injunction on the enforcement of the ban until the case goes to trial, or do we have to live with this law until it gets thrown out in court?
I'm just wondering about issues. If this is something that will get challenged quickly, and will have an injunction on the enforcement, I won't bother buying a muzzle, and will just keep Rosie in the back yard for the short time it takes to get the injunction.. however if we have to abide by this for a while, I'll have to get a muzzle, and start watching over my shoulders for those who'd love to persecute us because of it.

Jono

babyrocky1
May 31st, 2005, 09:19 PM
Sorry Jono, but I definately would be purchasing the muzzle, in fact I will be! I know I havent heard a thing about were the process is or if it is even started, I think these things can take years! :sad: I hope someone can update us on the current standing as well, but others have posted the same questions and so far we havent heard anything. :(On the brighter side we have six doggies, including Rosie for the Pit Bull Co-op. and a permanent thread for date making and updating!
Everyone has been busy the past few weeks and with Woofstock coming up and all but well be trying to get together soon!

twodogsandacat
June 1st, 2005, 08:18 AM
The law has to go into effect. A challenge has to be made. A court case has to be won. The crown has to lose an appeal. Buy the muzzle it will take a while..in fact the Liberals may be gone long before the ban is.

babyrocky1
June 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM
The crown has to lose an appeal. Buy the muzzle it will take a while..in fact the Liberals may be gone long before the ban is.
Im hoping that the positive press we make sure we get when they LOSE the first time will ensure that no appeal is launched. You don't think theres any hope of that?

SnowDancer
June 1st, 2005, 10:49 AM
I strongly suggest you buy a muzzle. You will need one if for no other reason than to take your dog to the vet.

babyrocky1
June 1st, 2005, 10:54 AM
Absolutely, everyone who has a dog that resembles a "pit bull" needs to comply with the law. we have to protect our dogs from the 'powers that be" I was only referring ot the legal challenge, ofcourse we will have to live with this for some time, Im only hoping its not as long as it could be if the crown appeals when they LOSE! :fingerscr

bluntman
June 1st, 2005, 03:25 PM
Absolutely, everyone who has a dog that resembles a "pit bull" needs to comply with the law.
Yes, but most people don't realize, this is not a "pit bull ban" as touted by Byrant, but a ban on all dogs that resemble pit bulls, the more non pit bull owners that get draged into this crapy bill, and fight for there rights, the sooner the courts will overturn it, I hope.

twodogsandacat
June 1st, 2005, 04:07 PM
Im hoping that the positive press we make sure we get when they LOSE the first time will ensure that no appeal is launched. You don't think theres any hope of that?

During the 2003 election, Premier Dalton McGuinty wrote in a letter to the parent of an autistic child that the arbitrary cutoff age was "unfair and discriminatory" and that a Liberal government would extend treatment to those beyond the age of six.

THEN

When they are elected and a case makes it to court, the parents win but then Michael Bryant salutes Dalton and appeals the Ontario Superior Court ruling.

Do I think they will appeal YES. Of course when they do they will look like fools as the original court case will be won on the facts not Bryant’s ‘ticking time bomb’ theory.

This guy will appeal, as he is a spoiled little kid and when he does you can expect to see a temper tantrum. Hopefully it’s on camera so we can use it when the election rolls around.

babyrocky1
June 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM
Yes, but most people don't realize, this is not a "pit bull ban" as touted by Byrant, but a ban on all dogs that resemble pit bulls, the more non pit bull owners that get draged into this crapy bill, and fight for there rights, the sooner the courts will overturn it, I hope. As I have posted on another thread, I have spoken to so many people that just refuse to beleve that this ban is going to effect them, even Rockys new friend who is an American Bulldog, Ive warned them that they need his papers, "no he doesn't have papers, but were still in touch with the people who have the mom," who I assume doesnt have papers. People with pit bull crosses, obvious ones, don't think itll be a problem. These people are in for a BIG shock. And if they miss the registration date YIKES! They seem to just think that Im telling them these storys just so I dont feel like the "only one" being effected. I think were looking at potentially thousands of unregistered dogs in Ontario that could be included in the ban!

twodogsandacat
June 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM
"Oh you should be OK he’s not a pit bull " is really is starting to **** me off. If I hear one more person say that without offering me and my dog a 'get out of jail free' card I'm gonna go nuts.

Yes this bill will affect far more people than they realize. Wait to a few of the fence sitters find out that they were never on the fence but on this side of it.

If you own one of the dogs on the 'can you spot the pit bull test' without papers.....you might be in for a very very rude awakening.

babyrocky1
June 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
This guy will appeal, as he is a spoiled little kid and when he does you can expect to see a temper tantrum. Hopefully it’s on camera so we can use it when the election rolls around. Of this I have no doubt, but by then an election will probably be close and he may not even be the Attorney General at that point. Or,\If once again it looks to people like hes wasting tax payers money with Pit Bull stuff, after he was clearly told that it would never pass the charter, I don't know. Certainly the Autistic childrens issue defies logic and decency but also you would think it would be a political nightmare. People havent really responded, which is a very sad statement about either the society we live in or just the LOW expectations that we have come to hold for our politicians. :sad: :confused: