Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I HAVE to declaw Blaze

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 12:27 PM
I just left a three year relationship in which i had my own apartment. I am now living with my mother who hates cats...Blaze has been wearing his softpaws but they do fall off often and he has clawed her sheer curtains and her couch. He hasnt done any noticable damage but its her stuff. She told me either he had to be declawed or I had to give him away. While i am in the process of getting my own apartment every complex I go to wants a vet receipt showing he has been altered and declawed. What should I do? I refuse to give him away because I love him and I wont put him in a shelter because when i made the decision to get a pet I made a promise to take care of him until he passes...what should i do? Do they give pain medicine after the surgery? How much pain will he be in?
Please dont make me feel guilty about this i have cried and pleaded with my mom but she refuses to budge.

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2005, 12:40 PM
Can't you keep Blaze in your bedroom til you get your own place? Does he have scratch posts and have you trained him to use them? How have you tried to train him?

I've never had a cat who couldn't learn to use a scratch post, even adult strays.

As for apartments requiring declawing - never heard of that, but if it's the case, get your vet to state that Blaze is declawed. No ethical vet wants to see a cat declawed and he/she should be glad to help you.

Declawing is not a manicure, but 10 amputations and of course it's painful, just as it would be if you had the ends of all your fingers cut off.

Some cats (and I stress "SOME") can have behavior problems after having this done, including litterbox avoidance and biting. Blaze may or may not.

You can read all about declawing and alternatives HERE (http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html)

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2005, 12:41 PM
A little confused. Are you renting a fully furnished place? I have searched the laws concerning pets in NC and the only thing that can be asked by a landlord who allows pets is a security deposit that is non refundable with a 14 day notice to tenant for damages by a pet. If it's furnished perhaps there is a different law but I would check that before being forced to mame an animal.

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 12:45 PM
Can't you keep Blaze in your bedroom til you get your own place? Does he have scratch posts and have you trained him to use them? How have you tried to train him?

I've never had a cat who couldn't learn to use a scratch post, even adult strays.

As for apartments requiring declawing - never heard of that, but if it's the case, get your vet to state that Blaze is declawed. No ethical vet wants to see a cat declawed and he/she should be glad to help you.

Declawing is not a manicure, but 10 amputations and of course it's painful, just as it would be if you had the ends of all your fingers cut off.

Some cats (and I stress "SOME") can have behavior problems after having this done, including litterbox avoidance and biting. Blaze may or may not.

You can read all about declawing and alternatives HERE (http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html)

Yes Blaze does use his post and I have trained to use it. That has never been a problem but often he goes for the couch and he LOVES my moms sheer curtians (they blow when the fan is on and when the windows are open so he loves to play in them)
plus I dont have a bedroom at my mothers my younger siblings live there and i am sharing a bedroom with my sister who has a sheer curtain above her bed. Blaze already wears soft paws but they dont last forever and fall off when I am at work or staying with a friend.
I understand what a big deal this is but I dont have a choice. I was just wondering what kind of pain meds. he would be on. I understand this is a inhumane procedure and it could cause more problems than it is going to solve but I am guest in someones house.

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 12:48 PM
A little confused. Are you renting a fully furnished place? I have searched the laws concerning pets in NC and the only thing that can be asked by a landlord who allows pets is a security deposit that is non refundable with a 14 day notice to tenant for damages by a pet. If it's furnished perhaps there is a different law but I would check that before being forced to mame an animal.

No its not furnished I will have to print the laws concerning that and show it to a landlord if they ask about the declaw. The problem is my mother. I was lucky i was able to bring Blaze with me when I moved in with her. It wont be for long but my mother has very nice things in her home and she is upset about Blaze living there. He hasnt made any damage but she insists he is going to. I have printed stuff off the net and showed her how awful this is but she refuses to listen. She says he is declawed or out.

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 12:50 PM
Can you tell your Mom that you made an appointment for July 1st, and make sure your out of there by then so he doesn't have to go through this?

Also could you sot down with your Mom with all the info and pic's you can find (we will all help) and try to change her mind?

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM
We posted at the same time! so you already answered my question!

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 12:55 PM
I have to have it done in two weeks...finding a place to live and a deposit is out of the question.
My mom is not a animal person. She thinks they belong outside and should never live inside with humans. I thought she was warming up to Blaze because I came home one day and he was snuggled on her lap but she picked him up and gave me a lecture on how gross cats were and how they put their feet in the litter box and when we are not home he prances all over the counter and the kitchen table so baiscally we shoud just put litter on the counter because its the exact thing...my moms a little loony...I am afraid there is no way around this.
After a declaw do the cats receive pain med?

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 12:56 PM
One moe idea. How much does de--clawing cost? instead of having it done can you wait until the lst possible min then put blaze in a boarding kennel until you find a place. You would be separated for a bit but it sure beats being amputated.

Do you have a friend that could tke him in for a bit?

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 12:59 PM
The declawing is $81...he would have to be in a kennel for a pretty long while.
Most of my friends stay at home with their parents still or live in a small apartment which allows no animals

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Declawing is not cheap so how about getting a large dog Kennel for Blaze to stay in during the time you are not at home with a comfy blanket, his food, water and litter box? I would think he would appreciate that far more than the alternative? Just a suggestion.

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 01:05 PM
No declawing is not cheap...but I dont have a choice its declaw or to the shelter. She wont give me time to find him a decent home. I dont know if i could bear to give him up anyway. I had to leave my boyfriend though things were getting to bad there. I am trying to do the best I can. I just want Blaze to be happy and I know declawing him isnt going to make him happy but being in a shelter and facing getting put down isnt going to make things any better.
Does anyone know if pain medicine is needed? Two vets are telling me two different things.

iRONKNiGHT
May 31st, 2005, 01:05 PM
How Sad.. i can only pray that you dont declaw Blaze..

it's like a shot in the heart...
Trixy can rip my 1000$ love seat to bits and i wont care, it's just a sofa!
her job is to destory stuff! :) and i am so proud of her :)

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 01:10 PM
I honetly dont have a choice I have tried to talk to her and she refuses...like I said before I am a guest in her home.

iRONKNiGHT
May 31st, 2005, 01:13 PM
I honetly dont have a choice I have tried to talk to her and she refuses...like I said before I am a guest in her home.
you always have a choice :/ ..come on stand up for the little guy :/
why would a mother treat her daughter like a guess in her home?

Roxy's_MA
May 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM
Find a place to rent that doesn't need proof by reciept from a vet. My mom lives in an apartment. They wanted her to declaw the cat, Tipper was already 15 years and doesn't scratch. She has been living there for 4 years now and told the landlord she declawed the cat. She never did. Landlords can't enter your premises without notice. Just make sure the cat is out of sight when the landlord comes around.

Are softpaws those things that you put on the cats claws?

Lizzie
May 31st, 2005, 01:16 PM
I like BMDLuver's idea for a large doggy crate. It's a safe, humane and reasonable way to handle the situation. People do this with dogs when they are at work....you can certainly do it with a cat if you give it enough space and some toys...perhaps get a big enough crate to house a little scratching post too!

Your mom may like this more than the declawing too since it would mean the cat is contained in one spot all day--not roaming around her house!

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 01:21 PM
and bring up the fact that if he's in a crate she wont have to eat out of the litter box anymore!
(Cat walking on counters after being in the litter box)

Keep trying for Blaze.

Im sure they do give pain medication but I was in a major accident 2 years ago and nothing got amputated and no medication helped. The pain was still unbelievable and for weeks on end.

iRONKNiGHT
May 31st, 2005, 01:24 PM
I like BMDLuver's idea for a large doggy crate. It's a safe, humane and reasonable way to handle the situation. People do this with dogs when they are at work....you can certainly do it with a cat if you give it enough space and some toys...perhaps get a big enough crate to house a little scratching post too!

Your mom may like this more than the declawing too since it would mean the cat is contained in one spot all day--not roaming around her house!

Yeah that's the idea get a Crate, and lock him up, that will solve the problem.
it's not like he have any feelings right? Lizzie?

plus that's the reason people decided to get pets... is so that they can give them more misery (unhappiness, distress, suffering) than they already have..

I dont know if you own a cat or know anything about cat's but they need space.. they need to roam..

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 01:25 PM

Ok, I am sorry and I know that everyone is going to jump down my throat for saying this but if you have to get the cat declawed in order to keep it, then just do it. That is way better than seeing the poor thing ending up in a shelter or some place like that.

A friend of mine has both of her cats done and I was there when they came home. They were not in pain at all and were running around right after. I know that it is like ripping out your finger nails but you have to look at the whole picture. It isn't like the cat is awake while they do it so it won't feel them being ripped out.

Good luck making a decision.

iRONKNiGHT
May 31st, 2005, 01:32 PM
I know that it is like ripping out your finger nails

Just goes to show how much you know about declawing!

Declawing What you Need to Know (http://amby.com/cat_site/dc-wyntk.html)

raingirl
May 31st, 2005, 01:32 PM
Maybe try contacting a cat rescue in your area. Advise them of the situation. I'm sure a person who loves cats will understand why you don't want to declaw them. See if they can find someone to temporarily foster the cat until you find a new place. Offer to pay for all food, litter, and anything the cat needs. Sorta like finding a home to board it in temporarily. Bake some cookies or a cake weekly and bring it by the fosters as a thanks.

I assume NC is North Carolina. Here are some rescues there:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=4

If the link doesn't come up with NC rescues, just choose NC from the drop down list and press GO...

I hope this helps. I think this would be the best option.

iRONKNiGHT
May 31st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Maybe try contacting a cat rescue in your area. Advise them of the situation. I'm sure a person who loves cats will understand why you don't want to declaw them. See if they can find someone to temporarily foster the cat until you find a new place. Offer to pay for all food, litter, and anything the cat needs. Sorta like finding a home to board it in temporarily. Bake some cookies or a cake weekly and bring it by the fosters as a thanks.

I assume NC is North Carolina. Here are some rescues there:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi

If the link doesn't come up with NC rescues, just choose NC from the drop down list and press GO...

I hope this helps. I think this would be the best option.

Finaly someone says something that makes sense :)
thanks raingirl...

In this case i'd take care of your cat until you find a place.. but i live in MTL.. sadly that's a bit too far..

raingirl
May 31st, 2005, 01:37 PM
declawing is not like ripping off your fingernails. It is like cutting off the tips of all your fingers, as they are AMPUTATING their fingers off...they are removing the last bone at the tips of the fingers completly...

http://maxshouse.com/Declaw%20Pix/Claw-sur-dia-color.jpg

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 01:40 PM
Just goes to show how much you know about declawing!

Declawing What you Need to Know (http://amby.com/cat_site/dc-wyntk.html)

I actually do know about declawing if you don't mind. I have seen many cats that were done and they were all fine after. People just use that analogy saying that it is like ripping nails out, I didn't come up with it.

Anyway, all I mean to say is that it's not the end of the world if it means that the cat can stay with it's owner. It is very stressful for them to move around a lot and even worse from owner to owner.

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2005, 01:41 PM
I would much rather see the cat live two months in a large dog Crate during the times his owner can't be around for him than go through the pain of declawing. Guess I must be clueless about cats then eh Ironknight? :rolleyes:

Shamrock
May 31st, 2005, 01:48 PM
Oh, how sad - for you and your kitty. :(
I'm sorry you've been handed such a heartwrenching ultimatum from your mom.
As for your question on the pain meds... I believe they "are" given to cats follwing surgery - they would be needed, and cant imagine why they would be withheld.

Your living arrangements with your mother are just temporary.
The cats claws will be gone forever.
It's your mom's place, but it's your cat. She is trusting in you to do right by her.
Please save your baby from this fate. :sad:
I understand you feel you have no alternative, but surely there must be SOME way to prevent this. You dont want to do it, and your cat most certainly wouldnt want you to do so - if she could choose.

I have never heard of cat declawing as a tenancy requirement but there must be some who will accept an un-maimed feline.
What about BMD luver's suggestion of a large carrier for when you are not there to supervise?
A friend neighbour to care for kitty or a kennel? .Even a private rescue who might consider taking her just until you are settled - to save her this fate? You could pay for her food, etc
Surely there must be a good samaratian somewhere who can help you.

I wish you and your kitty good luck with this, and sincerely hope that you can find a way to avoid this dreadful option.

Shamrock
May 31st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Oh sorry,Raingirl, I didnt see that you had already suggested a rescue for kitty. :sorry: I'd not read all the replies.. oops.

As for the idea of a crate - it would of course NOt be a feasible permanent solution for a cat - but we are talking two months here.
Even then its not ideal - but isnt it the lesser of the two evils here?

The cat wont suffer any permanent adverse affects from being temporarily and occassionally confined to a large crate.
Can the same be guaranteed from the alternative?

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM
Ok well I own 2 cats and neither of them have been declawed. I don't like it or agree with it but if I had to make a decision between declawing my cats or having to get rid of then, I would choose to declaw them. They are my family and there is no way that I would part wit them, they are mine forever.

nymph
May 31st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Agree with BMD Luver and Lizzie!

When I first found Sharkbait (she's a stray) and brought her home, I put her in an extra large dog crate that I bought for babysitting my friend's golden retriever last summer. I put litterbox, blanket, food, water and toys in the crate, and she still had lot of space to move around, it was almost like a deluxe condo unit for her. She seemed to like it, even went in on her own to sleep in it. BTW, I had 3 cats when I was living with my parents, cats don't roam the house all day long, they SLEEP most of the time, like pretty much all canivores.

I also believe that it's in the cat's best interest to go on temporary foster if you can't resolve the problem with your mom. However I agree with you that it's your mom's house and she should be the one deciding what's allowed in her house. It's unfair to accuse her of treating you like a guest - YOU ARE A GUEST, it's her house, she makes the rules, and judging from the fact that she took you in, I bet she's a pretty nice lady.

Good luck with Blaze.

Shamrock
May 31st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Grover, yes, I agree we take on the responsibilty for the pet's lifetime.
For their care and well -being. But clearly with the numbers of homeless cats.. many dont have this same committment.

As some cats WILL display behaviour problems following declawing... a number of these cats sadly wind up at shelters anyway.
The scratching problem has been solved, but replaced by biting and/or litterbox avoidance. ( not it ALL cases)
Out they go. :sad:

They now not only have no claws -they're unadoptable.

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks Grover for understanding.
The bottom line is Blaze has to be declawed there are no if, and, or buts. My mother grew up dirt poor so she has always been a freak about her stuff. I understand where she is coming from because it is her house. I dont want to declaw Blaze but there isnt alot to do about. I showed her alot of yalls responses and she assumes were being over dramatic and its not that big of a deal. I cant make her change her mind. A rescue is a good idea but I cant let Blaze use up room where a cat who really really needed a home could go.

nymph
May 31st, 2005, 02:28 PM
So what was your intention posting such thread here in the first place? Looking for sympathy and support? It sounds like you've already made up your mind. :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2005, 02:30 PM
I would much rather see the cat live two months in a large dog Crate during the times his owner can't be around for him than go through the pain of declawing.

Definitely! Being confined when you aren't home to watch him is much better than this inhumane surgery.

A big dog crate won't cost any more than the surgery, pain meds, and post-op examination.

ALSO, there is always a chance of a deformed regrowth of a nail which would necessitate another surgery.

YEs, contact cat rescues, tell them the situation and beg someone to foster Blaze for you until you are on your own.

Writing4Fun
May 31st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Oh, my. Poor Blaze. :sad:

Sounds like you've decided to go with the declaw. I still think you should consider the crate or temporary foster. I'm sure your mom doesn't care how you spare her curtains, as long as they're spared. We're not talking about a cat carrier. We're suggesting a large dog crate, which some people use to allow their cats to have safe outdoor exercise. Room enough for a bed, litter box, food dishes. Maybe even tall enough to put a shelf half way up, so the cat has something to jump onto, hang a spring/ball toy off the bottom of the shelf so he has something to play with. Talk to a rescue - maybe someone has room for a temporary foster, if it means avoiding this poor cat's mutilation. Talk to your vet, they might be able to help (one of their staff might be able to take him for you temporarily). Mom may think we're overreacting, but you know we're not, and ultimately, you're the one responsible for doing the right thing by Blaze. Good luck with this very difficult decision.

Shamrock
May 31st, 2005, 02:40 PM
A rescue is a good idea but I cant let Blaze use up room where a cat who really really needed a home could go.

I wouldnt look at it that way? Its only temporary, after all.
Blaze really really needs his claws.

I'm sorry to be harping on this issue, when it sounds like your mind is made up.

But, aside from the aftermath to the cat - have your considered the long term fallout for YOU?
Will you resent your mother IF Blaze is not the same cat any longer? His personality has been forever altered? I've seen it hapen..
Will you have regrets that you didnt pursue any and every option?

It's a gamble - no matter how you look at it.

I wish you and Blaze all the best, whatever the outcome.

Trinitie
May 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Another method of appeasing your mom, and one that hasn't been broached yet, is to come to a comprimise. Offer to pay for any furniture that Blaze damages. Offer to put it in writing so she doesn't think you'll back out later.

That way your mom can keep her nice things, without the worry of them getting damaged. If they get damaged, they get repaired. If the repair isn't possible, due to extent of damage, then replacement of the item.

Blaze needs his claws, and removing them will alter him in more ways than physically. A declawed cat also takes a "hit" on their sense of surefootedness, makes them more uneasy and apt to slipping, falling and becoming hurt.

Perhaps if you make the offer to your mom, of the repair/replacement of damaged items, then she'll be keen to listen to what you're saying about declawing.

It's worth a shot.

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Funny that I have been on here this afternoon talking about declawing and then I heard that a friend of mine just had an unfortunate accident. Her cat clawed the dog's eye and the dog had to have emergency surgery for $2,500 to repair it. Not too sure if the dog will get it's vision back or not. What would you do in this situation?

I have 2 cats and a dog and I keep their nails cut but I don't think that would guarantee that something like this wouldn't happen to my dog. I guess I will have to start making sure that they are separated when I am not there to be the referee.

Princesss04
May 31st, 2005, 02:59 PM
Was it ever posted why a cage could not be bought and keep Blaze in it while you are gone! I read alot of what was posted and people where giving good ideas but it does not matter sounds like their mind is made up. It is so sad!

Trinitie
May 31st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Funny that I have been on here this afternoon talking about declawing and then I heard that a friend of mine just had an unfortunate accident. Her cat clawed the dog's eye and the dog had to have emergency surgery for $2,500 to repair it. Not too sure if the dog will get it's vision back or not. What would you do in this situation?What would I do? Keep the dog away from the cat so it doesn't get scratched. EVERYBODY knows that a cat will scratch a strange dog, almost every single time. Even a dog the cat knows is in a sticky situation when it comes to facing up against a cat. Because a cat "might" scratch a dog's eye isn't a reason to declaw a cat. The owner of the dog should slap itself upside the head for allowing the dog so close to your friend's cat. Plain and simple.

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 03:03 PM
What happens if you get Blaze declawed so he's not in a crate, then because of pain or whatever reason he doesn't use the litter box anymore? Is your Mom going ot be OK with that? I think with this type of surgery you need to be prepared for all outcomes.

heeler's rock!
May 31st, 2005, 03:03 PM
I know how we all feel about declawing and I agree it's wrong. I'd never declaw my cats I have now. But, in Blaze's defence, I too had an ultimatum from my mom when I moved my first kitty, Puff, into her home.

She put up with Puff's claws for a while, but Puff pulled out all the stuffing from her new wing chairs, tore the fabric from the couches until all you saw was wood around the frame, clawed the screen door and screens on the windows trying to chase flies, and all sorts of other damages. We had a scratching post for her and she'd use it, when she felt like it. When my mom decided to renovate the whole kitchen, living room, and bathroom, she wanted berber (sp?) carpets, and new furniture. No way would she let Puff destroy it. With berber, one pull and the whole thing unwravels.

Anyways, she made me declaw her, or rehome her. I cried, and begged not to do it, but she wouldn't hear of it. I would've kept Puff in my room, but I had Red my Heeler who would sleep there, and they didn't get along so well. So, I declawed her with the understanding that since Puff could no longer defend herself, Puff stayed with my mom when I moved as I didn't think she and Red could ever get along. She agreed, and now Puff lives as a queen in her castle, and my mom loves her to bits.

I would rather have that fate for Puff, than her being dumped at the SPCA where she'd have 7 days to find a home, or die. Bottom line was, it's my mom's house, not mine and I couldn't do anything about it. I made my mom feel very guilty, and she does still fell guilty, but luckily Puff had no adverse reactions to not haveing claws anymore, so no behavioural issues or anything like that. No infections or anything either, thank God. I did what I had to do, so I can empathize with you Blaze. I also had to move Puff to my mom's because I broke up with my boyfriend at the time, and had no money for a place of my own. We're a lot alike it seems! :)

Shannon83
May 31st, 2005, 03:07 PM
How old is Blaze?

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 03:12 PM
What would I do? Keep the dog away from the cat so it doesn't get scratched. EVERYBODY knows that a cat will scratch a strange dog, almost every single time. Even a dog the cat knows is in a sticky situation when it comes to facing up against a cat. Because a cat "might" scratch a dog's eye isn't a reason to declaw a cat. The owner of the dog should slap itself upside the head for allowing the dog so close to your friend's cat. Plain and simple.

No, it was her own cat and dog (she actually has 2 dogs)

It just made me realize that I need to start separating my cats and dog while I am not home. I never thought that it would happen to someone that I knew. Too close for comfort.

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2005, 03:19 PM
So why won't the dog crate work? You'll need to confine him anyway if you declaw him for the time it takes to heal the wounds...

Just curious - where did you get Blaze?

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 03:39 PM
I know how we all feel about declawing and I agree it's wrong. I'd never declaw my cats I have now. But, in Blaze's defence, I too had an ultimatum from my mom when I moved my first kitty, Puff, into her home.

She put up with Puff's claws for a while, but Puff pulled out all the stuffing from her new wing chairs, tore the fabric from the couches until all you saw was wood around the frame, clawed the screen door and screens on the windows trying to chase flies, and all sorts of other damages. We had a scratching post for her and she'd use it, when she felt like it. When my mom decided to renovate the whole kitchen, living room, and bathroom, she wanted berber (sp?) carpets, and new furniture. No way would she let Puff destroy it. With berber, one pull and the whole thing unwravels.

Anyways, she made me declaw her, or rehome her. I cried, and begged not to do it, but she wouldn't hear of it. I would've kept Puff in my room, but I had Red my Heeler who would sleep there, and they didn't get along so well. So, I declawed her with the understanding that since Puff could no longer defend herself, Puff stayed with my mom when I moved as I didn't think she and Red could ever get along. She agreed, and now Puff lives as a queen in her castle, and my mom loves her to bits.

I would rather have that fate for Puff, than her being dumped at the SPCA where she'd have 7 days to find a home, or die. Bottom line was, it's my mom's house, not mine and I couldn't do anything about it. I made my mom feel very guilty, and she does still fell guilty, but luckily Puff had no adverse reactions to not haveing claws anymore, so no behavioural issues or anything like that. No infections or anything either, thank God. I did what I had to do, so I can empathize with you Blaze. I also had to move Puff to my mom's because I broke up with my boyfriend at the time, and had no money for a place of my own. We're a lot alike it seems! :)

We are alot alike...I love Blaze like my own child but when I am in someone elses house I have to go by their rules. I told my mom about the crate and she laughed saying he could just climb it...I told her it would have a lid...she got pissed and told me the cat goes or he gets declawed.

Blaze is 9 months old

I posted this for ideas and yes sympathy...I love Blaze and I didnt want the subject of declawing to come up on a post and me seem like a inhumane and plain out evil person.

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 03:42 PM
So why won't the dog crate work? You'll need to confine him anyway if you declaw him for the time it takes to heal the wounds...

Just curious - where did you get Blaze?

From a newspaper ad...had no idea that was wrong until I joined this site. Blaze was to be put down the next day because the woman who had him couldnt get rid of him and he was the last of the litter. After I got him from the woman i had to cancel the appointment to put him down. He has been fixed and has all his current shots.

Lizzie
May 31st, 2005, 03:45 PM
If you "Love Blaze like your own child" then you'd do more than just allow your mother to call the shots. Would you cut your childs fingers off at the nuckle just beacause they hit, rip or destroy things? Probably not.

As for the crate idea Ironknight--I did not say that cats have no feelings. I simply believe that it's a far better idea than declawing or tossing the kitty into the pool of unwanted and unhomed cats.

Cactus Flower
May 31st, 2005, 03:53 PM
So your mother won't allow a crate, either? That seems a little off to me...

Trinitie
May 31st, 2005, 04:01 PM
Feasable solution here:Another method of appeasing your mom, and one that hasn't been broached yet, is to come to a comprimise. Offer to pay for any furniture that Blaze damages. Offer to put it in writing so she doesn't think you'll back out later.

That way your mom can keep her nice things, without the worry of them getting damaged. If they get damaged, they get repaired. If the repair isn't possible, due to extent of damage, then replacement of the item.

Blaze needs his claws, and removing them will alter him in more ways than physically. A declawed cat also takes a "hit" on their sense of surefootedness, makes them more uneasy and apt to slipping, falling and becoming hurt.

Perhaps if you make the offer to your mom, of the repair/replacement of damaged items, then she'll be keen to listen to what you're saying about declawing.

It's worth a shot.You obviously make ok money, or you wouldn't be able to scrape a damage deposit and rent together so quickly. Propose this to your mom and see what she says. It's worth a shot isn't it?

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 04:03 PM
So your mother won't allow a crate, either? That seems a little off to me...

my mother is a little off...more than a little

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 04:06 PM
Feasable solution here:You obviously make ok money, or you wouldn't be able to scrape a damage deposit and rent together so quickly. Propose this to your mom and see what she says. It's worth a shot isn't it?

well for a one bedroom apartment the deposit will be about 400
pet deposit 200
firsts month rent 400
that equals to about 1000
no i dont make that much in a month...not possible...I have tried I really have and thank everybody for your posts. My mom is a strong willed southurn woman she isnt going to budge. I quote this from her own words "Two weeks Blaze gets declawed or he has to go to the shelter"
My mom doesnt think like I do...

Cactus Flower
May 31st, 2005, 04:08 PM
What is the reason you can't have a friend care for him until you move? Or can't have a rescue foster the kitty until you move? Since it would be short term, I'm sure they would make room for him instead of allowing him to prevent them saving another life.

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 04:25 PM

This concerns me alot. Im worried that you go through with the surgery and things dont work out. Blaze turns into a biter that pees on the floor instead of the litter box. Then what????

Before you do anything durastic you need a plan 'b'. Declawing may not fix your mothers view on cats. She is still going to hate them.

Trinitie
May 31st, 2005, 04:32 PM
It appears to me that no matter what we say, no matter the suggestions we come up with, you're going to get your cat declawed, period.

Well, putting my suggestion aside, as you're thinking your cat will do so much damage that you simply can't afford this option, there are lots of good suggestions put forth by the other members here.

The best three, so far, are:

Get a rather large kennel and keep your cat in it when you can't keep an eye on him.

Ask a friend to keep care of the cat for a couple of months. You'll still pay for the food and any vet bills that might be incurred, as you would if the cat were still with you.

Ask a pet shelter if you can place your cat in temporary care (again, offer to supply your cat's food, litter, and vet care costs if needed) and explain to the shelter what the problem is. I can see no shelter turn you down if your not asking them for more than a place to put a portable kennel (again, which you can purchase and supply).

These are all very good suggestions, and ones that won't cost you anymore money than if you were to keep your cat with you, at your mom's, in a kennel.

If you can't see these as an option, then you're just here for sympathy for something you've already made your mind up on doing.

nymph
May 31st, 2005, 04:36 PM
If you really "love Blaze like your own child", then declawing won't even be an option for you, simple as that. Think like this: would you rather deliberately cripple a child, like cutting off all his fingers, than to put him to adoption?

It seems to me, increasingly, that your mom isn't the problem, you are.

Sneaky2006
May 31st, 2005, 04:38 PM
I would declaw my cats in a heartbeat if that was the only way I could keep them. BUT... it would never happen. So many suggestions have been made, it's unreal to me that declawing is the one and only option. You have 2 weeks to do it? Wait till the 2 weeks is up, then board him and haul ass finding a place in the mean time.
You don't have to declaw him, seems like you want to.
Excuses, excuses, I ain't buyin it. :mad:

raingirl
May 31st, 2005, 04:45 PM
I think you and your mother might be confused as to what a dog crate is, since she commented he would just climb out.

We don't mean something like this:

http://www.coralfoam.com/images/products/paxton/Folding%20Crate.jpg

We mean something like this that has 6 sides and a locking door:

http://www.trenigens.com.au/shop/html/images/crate.jpg
JUST SO YOU KNOW you will have to have a crate or kennel or something like it with a locking door to put your cat in AFTER his declawing because he will not be allowed to be active, so I suggest you get a crate anyway now, and start putting him in it during the day...see if she starst to change her mind about the cat in the meantime.

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 04:45 PM
If you really "love Blaze like your own child", then declawing won't even be an option for you, simple as that. Think like this: would you rather deliberately cripple a child, like cutting off all his fingers, than to put him to adoption?

It seems to me, increasingly, that your mom isn't the problem, you are.

Ok I asked for advice and I thought people would be a little more understanding. I would never do anything to hurt Blaze. I never even considered declawing him thats my mothers decision, as i am living in HER house then I have to respect her wishes. I plan on calling the rescues but I would much rather declaw Blaze than take up a "homeless" cats space their to me that seems more selfish. My mother wont let me use the kennel my friends live either with their parents or in small apartments where they cannot have animals. I have tried everything and you insisting that i am the problem is very insulting. Honestly who wants to adopt a nine month old cat? The women I got him from was going to put him asleep because no body wanted him. By giving him away how can i insure he will taken care of? I adore Blaze and I take very good care of him...maybe I just should of stayed with a cokehead boyfriend so blaze could of kept his claws? I have brought up these suggestions to my mother she refuses...whats left for me to do?

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2005, 04:49 PM
I would say this thread has run it's course.

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 04:50 PM
I would declaw my cats in a heartbeat if that was the only way I could keep them. BUT... it would never happen. So many suggestions have been made, it's unreal to me that declawing is the one and only option. You have 2 weeks to do it? Wait till the 2 weeks is up, then board him and haul ass finding a place in the mean time.
You don't have to declaw him, seems like you want to.
Excuses, excuses, I ain't buyin it. :mad:

There are not excuses...why would I want to declaw what positve could come out of it?
I am twenty years old I work full time I dont make hardly any money at work...I live in my MOTHERS HOUSE she point blank said NO kennel...declawing...I am calling the furball lady today after work. How much do you think its going to cost to board him? He will be stuck in a small cell everyday with no real interaction to me thats cruel.

raingirl
May 31st, 2005, 04:50 PM
Remind your mom that the cat will need to be in the crate/kennel either way after the surgery so she can't say no to that. It is painful, he will need pain meds, there could be infections, the cat will still climb on the counters and still walk around with litter from his litter box around the house and on her table.. Declawing will only stop the damage, but it won't stop the other behaviours she doesn't like. I know some people think that declawing will prevent them from jumping on things because they can't grip as well. That's not true so I hope your mom knows that.

It will probably cost more to board him, but less cruel than the amputation of 10 apendages. Rescues are there to help animals in need, including avoiding cruelty to them, so I don't see why you won't go that way. You may or may not take the place of a cat in need, but won't know until you call a rescue up and ask. Call ALL of them. Maybe some of them have several open fosters, then you won't feel so bad if there is lots of room for other cats to come in.

Sneaky2006
May 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM
He will be stuck in a small cell everyday with no real interaction to me thats cruel. So that's cruel to you, but ripping out parts of his toes isn't??? So being in a kennel for a few weeks is worse, I see. That's BS!

Trinitie
May 31st, 2005, 04:55 PM
For someone who started this whole discussion, you're getting awfully defensive. There are other options other than giving him away, and other than having him declawed.

Nobody is suggesting you take a place away from a homeless cat. In case you mis-read what I typed, let me paraphrase:

YOU buy a kennel, bring it to the shelter, place your cat in it. There, no homeless cat is without a place as you've supplied your own. Ask the shelter about it. If it means that you won't do a barbaric amputation of your cat's toes, then I have a hard time believing the shelter would turn you down.

I am very close to closing this as you appear to have made up your mind and we're just re-hashing over and over.

Are you going to at least discuss this option with a shelter? Or do you "know" that they won't do it? ALL animal lovers will do what they can to ensure an animal doesn't suffer needlessly. Declawing is needless.

Besides, has the cat done anything other than attack some window sheers? Has the sofa been scratched? What about the chairs? If not, then let the cat have it's fun. Tell your mom you'll replace her sheers (they're quite inexpensive) when you move.

I've known some doozies of mothers in the past, and I have a bit of a hard time believing your mom is dead-set in causing the cat pain for the short time you'll be there. Something doesn't sound quite right to me.

Mockingcat
May 31st, 2005, 04:56 PM
I'm new to the forum, but this is an issue very near and dear to my heart. I would certainly rehome my cat before declawing him. Here are the three reasons why:

1.) Samson. Samson belonged to my coworker. Samson was a girl, who'd never been fixed. She began becoming aggressive to the coworker's dog. There was concern that Samson would hurt the dog. Oh, and she was destroying the furniture anyway.

Samson was declawed. A week to the day after Samson was declawed, my coworker came to work with three severe cat bites. She had intent to put Samson down because she was vicious. The vet took pity, and adopted Samson. 4 days later, we heard that Samson had bitten the vet. Samson was put down for human aggression.

2.) Queenie. Queenie lived next to my best friend. She was a great cat... except she had a taste for expensive leather chairs. Her owners couldn't be bothered to clip her claws.

Queenie has three feet now. One became infected after the amputation of her toes. "Declawing". They couldn't stop it, and they had to remove her right front paw.

3.) Seegee. Seegee was found beneath my mother-in-law's house. She was alone, starving, and wailing. She had been front declawed. They adopted Seegee. The vet estimates she's 5-6 years old. She is crippled with arthritis. In the winter, her family has a heating pad for her to lie on so that she's not in so much pain. They have spent hundreds of dollars on her, trying to help her get better. The vet says that's it's very common for young cats like Seegee to develop arthritis if they'd been declawed.

You may be condemning Blaze to life in a pound anyway if he doesn't take the procedure well. If he starts peeing on the carpet because he can't use the litterbox, it doesn't sound like your mother is going to be very sympathetic to his cause.

Another thing that concerns me is that you said it would cost $81 dollars to have this procedure done... my coworker called around for weeks because the cheapest she could find was around $200.... and that was with minimum pain medication. Are you sure this vet is competent?

nymph
May 31st, 2005, 04:57 PM
Your mom is against a crate now? Where does it end? Could you answer my question: would you deliberately cut off all fingers of your child rather than to put him to adoption? :rolleyes:

Sneaky2006
May 31st, 2005, 04:58 PM
I've known some doozies of mothers in the past, and I have a bit of a hard time believing your mom is dead-set in causing the cat pain for the short time you'll be there. Something doesn't sound quite right to me.Same here... and how can someone be against kennels/crates? I must be losing it.

Lissa
May 31st, 2005, 05:01 PM
Blaze01 - I am really sorry that you are faced with this decision!
My cat is declawed because I was unaware/ignorant to the seriousness of the procedure - also because I felt forced into it because I live at home!

Although Minnow never had any adverse behaviour issues after declawing, I still feel terrible because she was such a little tree-climber when she had claws! Also, the vet never gave us any pain meds after the surgery but he probably wasn't the best vet because he did not mention anything about the inhumanity of declawing.

If I had it to do over again, I would never have allowed her to be declawed and I WON'T be declawing any of my future cats.

Because my cat is declawed I am in no position to be giving you a lecture; I understand that you feel you have no other options but you must have a friend of friend that will take care of your cat for a time?

Everybody is suggesting an x-large dog crate but when I kept a cat in there it didn't go over well! The cat wouldn't stop pacing and meowing - it was very stressful for him. If I had no choice but keep a cat in a cage, I would get one specifically for a cat that has 2 ledges for them. However, they do cost a lot more money!

BTW - Minnow has caused an awful lot of damage with just her back claws because she runs around the house and launches herself off the furniture. So declawing may not solve the problem especially since Blaze is still quite young!

It sounds like your Mum is just against cats period and I think even if you go ahead with the surgery she will find a reason to get rid of Blaze.

Melissa

chico2
May 31st, 2005, 05:02 PM
Blaze1,first off,I already do not like your mother and I do not think very highly of you for even thinking of declawing a mature cat,it's just simply out of the question...but it seems like you've already made up your mind.
NOBODY on this earth could make me do this to my cats,for whatever reason!!
Many options have been suggested to you,another is for your mom to remove the sheers temporarily,they are after all just sheers...a cat should not have to be mutilated because of sheers :evil:
I actually think he would be better off adopted out into a family that wants cats,it is not good for the cat to live with a"cat-hater",or stay somewhere temporary.
I have never heard of any lease-agreement that states cats have to be declawed or even altered,I think you are telling us a big fib!
Sorry,but I get really angry when I read something like this,if you love your cat,like you say you do,you will never let this happen.

raingirl
May 31st, 2005, 05:03 PM
I am in the process of sending a mass email to every cat rescue in NC that is on petfinder with your story and I will let you know when I hear back to see if anyone could watch your cat.

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 05:07 PM
My mother hates animals...cats are gross...dogs are gross they like their bums and then like your face. I dont understand it either. I am becoming defensive because I love my animal and I would never consider declawing but I dont have a choice. I am going to call the shelters that was a great idea and I am interested. I am not one of those people who declaw and dont think about the consquence of it...I would never rip my childs fingers off or anthing like that. I am have tried for weeks to make my mother undersand what a HUGE deal this is...maybe I should just try to find him another home, but how can i be sure they wont turn around and declaw him? How can I be sure they will talke good care of him? Others here have said if there was no other choice they would do the same. I have seen were others have been "jumped" because they thought about declawing etc etc but not everybody is educated in pet care like most of you guys are. I WILL call the shelters but I dont want to see him go...maybe i am being selfish. I have seen tons of other cats who have been declawed and honestly they acted normal to me. Thank you once again for the input and the links you have provided.
RAINGIRL;the picture was helpful i printed and i am going to stick it the fridge in the morning so she will see it.

Mockingcat
May 31st, 2005, 05:08 PM
I have never heard of any lease-agreement that states cats have to be declawed or even altered,I think you are telling us a big fib!
Sorry,but I get really angry when I read something like this,if you love your cat,like you say you do,you will never let this happen.

Now that I think about it, I've never seen an apartment around here that requires such a thing either. I live in NC, where Blaze is at, and when we were apartment hunting, we ran into several that were "no pets" or "no pets over X" or "pay a certain amount for X pet", but never one that had stipulations about what procedures your animals had had to undergo... they don't even require that they be spayed/neutered, and that would make a LOT more sense!

Blaze01
May 31st, 2005, 05:09 PM
Blaze1,first off,I already do not like your mother and I do not think very highly of you for even thinking of declawing a mature cat,it's just simply out of the question...but it seems like you've already made up your mind.
NOBODY on this earth could make me do this to my cats,for whatever reason!!
Many options have been suggested to you,another is for your mom to remove the sheers temporarily,they are after all just sheers...a cat should not have to be mutilated because of sheers :evil:
I actually think he would be better off adopted out into a family that wants cats,it is not good for the cat to live with a"cat-hater",or stay somewhere temporary.

I know this is a serious issue and you are a animal lover but I am not a lair and I dont like being called one. Once again this is my mothers home not mine. They are her sheers and if she wants them there who am i to say they should be moved?

Shamrock
May 31st, 2005, 05:10 PM

I am not sure what this means, but you cannot reason with a person who is not willing to hear you or is irrational.
All will fall on deaf ears,and perhaps that is the case.

BUT- though your mother has every right to say what goes in her home...I fail to see how she can FORCE you from following up the other options - all of which COULD work.

Please at least TRY these!
Dont ASK for permission to do so. Let her know you are working on a solution, and that one will be forthcoming, end of matter.
Dont argue with her.. just quiely make other arrangements.

I realize you are very young, but as Blaze's caregiver and protector, you have every right and OBLIGATION to go the extra mile for your kitty's health.

Whether your mom agrees or not.

Sneaky2006
May 31st, 2005, 05:11 PM
I WILL call the shelters but I dont want to see him go... You don't have to see him go! You can ask the shelters you call if he can stay there if you provide everything for him for a short time, until you can get your own place.

Cactus Flower
May 31st, 2005, 05:15 PM
Whoever said that this thread has run its course.....I'm with ya.

chico2
May 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Cactusflower,I agree..
Also,Blaze1,I am sorry for jumping down your throat in that way,although it does not change my opinion,I've had a somewhat bad day
I know of people who thinks of animals as nothing but filthy creatures and your mom is obviously one of them.
But on the other hand she should respect your love for your cat and maybe even help you get in to another place,but maybe money is tight...
I did not call you a liar,just a bit of a fibber,but maybe rental leases are different in NC to Canada.
Still,please do not declaw poor Blaze.... :pawprint:

heeler's rock!
May 31st, 2005, 05:54 PM
This thread is making me kinda angry, but not because of the declawing issue, but because I can't believe how many of you are being so unfair to Blaze's story! It's not far fetched to hear these things Blaze's mother is saying about her keeping her kitty. I can understand how crating while she's not home will solve the clawing, but then the cat will meow and pace, and possibly pi** blaze's mother off even more, so that might be why she won't let Blaze stay in a crate.

Next thing is Blaze is young and may not be financially able to move into her own place for a year or more. Is Blaze supposed to sit at a shelter until she's able to afford her own place? She's tried friends but being that they're all so young, they don't all live on their own yet, and the ones that do she's said live in places that don't allow pets.

And moving the sheers, well, there's no way in hell that my mom would take down her curtains. She saw it as "She's your cat and you insisted on bringing her here, now you deal with it." If I tried to move her curtains, she would have freaked out too. She wants her house to look nice for when company comes over and so on. She only let me keep Puff because I begged and pleaded, so I was out of favours. At that point it was her way or the highway. I understood that, as I put her in an awkward position. I still make my mom feel guilty to this day about the declawing, and I know she now loves Puff, but I'm sure if she had to do it again, she would. Just like Blaze's mom, my mom grew up poor and now that she can afford nice things, she's not gonna just let them get ruined. It doesn't make my mom a bad person, so please don't anyone say they don't like my mother now like they did about Blaze's mother.

So now, her 2 options left are declaw, or rehome. I could never have rehomed Puff, EVER. It was out of the question for me. Back then too, I was naive to some extent. I knew declawing was wrong and painful for the cat, but I didn't know all the other side effects. Luckily, Puff came through the surgery just fine and hasn't had any issues with pain, or arthritis yet. She's 6 and was declawed at the age of 3, so not all mature cats suffer when declawed. It is a chance though that anybody considering this takes.

I've been exactly where Blaze is right now, so I can empathise, but for those of you who have never been in a similar situation, it's hard to understand. When Puff was declawed, I wasn't planning on moving for another 2 years so keeping Puff with a friend for that long and expecting them just to give her back after, was absurd. They'd probably become attached and want to keep her. And a shelter, for 2 years? How unfair would that have been? Just try and be more open minded and understand where she's coming from. :o

kandy
May 31st, 2005, 06:31 PM
I just wondered - did your mom give you this ultimatum before you moved in with her?? I can honestly say as a mom that I would never let my child move in and then tell them that they couldn't stay if they didn't mutilate their animal that I allowed them to bring with them (and I allowed my son to bring home a tarantula from college - I am deathly afraid of spiders!). I cannot believe that your mother cares more for her possessions than you, which is what I am getting out of this. I am so sorry for your situation, but it sounds like your cat will be out the door soon - declawed or not. Sounds like she will find any excuse to make you get rid of it. Why not do the cat a favor and just rehome her now?

melanie
May 31st, 2005, 06:32 PM
think about it, you have far more options than 2.

why cant you board the cat?? if you tell the cattery what is going on you may find they do you a deal, i am working with cattery ppl and they are wonderful and the cats treated like gods, most catteries will offer a cheap price for a long term stayer, $20-25 a week is generally the standard.. you can also come and go and visit, it may seem extreme but it is sure kinder than the alternatives. it sure beats disin the cat or amputating its body parts. thsi way the cat is cared for, you mums happy and you can find a new home in time, soem cats are even borded for up to 1yr. you would have been paying rent already so i cant see 20bucks beign a big deal to help a loved one.

the cats at the cattery i work at are visited by humans throughout the day, the owner spends hours u[p there sitting in the cattery cuddling, there is designated play times, they have music on all day and the cat can be itself and happy. you can find some great ones, just look.

ring around and have a chat, you will find ppl may jsut be quite helpful....

Roxy's_MA
May 31st, 2005, 06:50 PM
Now that I think about it, I've never seen an apartment around here that requires such a thing either. I live in NC, where Blaze is at, and when we were apartment hunting, we ran into several that were "no pets" or "no pets over X" or "pay a certain amount for X pet", but never one that had stipulations about what procedures your animals had had to undergo... they don't even require that they be spayed/neutered, and that would make a LOT more sense!

I am here in Edmonton, Alberta having a cat declawed or paying extra security deposits for pets is a very common thing here. I ran into that problem when I moved out for the first time. Luckily I found a place that allowed my cat. My mom lives in an apartment, her landlord told her the cat must be declawed in order to live there. Of course my mom just told the landlord it was done (it really wasn't) that was the end of it.

raingirl
May 31st, 2005, 06:51 PM
Mel, wow. Your boarding is cheap where you are. I was doing some research where I am for boarding, and peaked at the rates for cats. Some are as high as $50 a day! Most are around $200 a week. That doesn't mean it is the same in NC though...could be cheaper there.

melanie
May 31st, 2005, 07:08 PM
thats in aussie dollars. like i said if she explains the situation they may offer a deal,. and if it is just one week we charge alot ($15 per night), if it is more than 2 weeks that is when we charge less and give the great deals. but if she appeals to cattery owners (most love cats, its not a great money spinner)or even offers to supply food for her cat she amy get lucky. she could even offer to clean a few hours a week in exchange for a low rate, there is no limit to the options she has or the ones she can come up with.

blaze if you cant come up with many i will help, pm me if you like and i will supply you with a list of a few possibilities, there are many, jsut be creative about it. this is crunch time so get thinking hard.

melanie
May 31st, 2005, 07:10 PM
to board a dog in aus, it is btw $11 and 25 per day. the pet resorts off the $25 per day, but even they offer discount for long term. $50, is that for a resort or normal cattery??

LittleLoves
May 31st, 2005, 07:14 PM
This thread is making me kinda angry, but not because of the declawing issue, but because I can't believe how many of you are being so unfair to Blaze's story!

I agree.

When my ex and I split up, my daughter and I had nowhere to live for three months. I paid rent to my mother and yet STILL followed her rules. I had barely any income and no place else to go. I didn't always agree with what my mother expected of me, but I went along with it anyhow because it was HER house and she was doing me a huge favour. I would never have allowed my mother to 'force' me to do something harmful to my daughter, but I can see where Blaze is coming from. She feels (even if she isn't) out of options.

I can totally see a mom giving an ultimatum like Blaze's mom has! It's her house and she didn't ask to have a cat. She probably isn't as animal educated as the rest of you here. Not wanting the cat to rip up her sheers doesn't mean she loves her "things" more than she loves her daughter either. :rolleyes:

Blaze, I absolutely do not think you should declaw that poor kitty. The members here have terrific suggestions (i love the crate one), but you DO have my sympathy because I know what it's like to be forced in a situation with limited options. (Break ups, no home, no money) I hope things work out for you. :grouphug:

happycats
May 31st, 2005, 07:19 PM
Is leaving Blaze with your ex an option?? Until you get back on your feet.

LittleLoves
May 31st, 2005, 07:21 PM
I think she said he's a coke head. :(

happycats
May 31st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Just because he's a coke head, doesn't mean he doesn't love animals.
(I Know a person who has a serious addiction, but just adores ALL animals )
I just thought he already lived with Blaze, and Blaze already knows him.

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2005, 08:00 PM
It appears to me that no matter what we say, no matter the suggestions we come up with, you're going to get your cat declawed, period.

I agree. No crate, no rescue, no boarding etc. This is pointless. Get the cat declawed but please do not come and tell us about it.