Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Police shoot Pitbull

lezzpezz
May 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM
A story from today's rag:

Sarnia police shot and killed a pit bull dog yesterday after it attacked a mother of four, then lunged at officers and paramedics.
Stephanie Stone, 35, says she went outside around 7:15 a.m. to call her German shepherd dog Pippy inside.

"Our dog went into heat this weekend and when I saw her out there, I went out to bring her in," Stone said yesterday after being treated at Blue Water Health for three bites to her forearms.

"(The pit bull) bit me when I tried to take Pippy inside. I'm just glad it was me and not one of my babies out there. I only felt the first bite, then after I was in shock."

Her 15-year-old son poked at the dog so his mother could get inside, where she called police.

"When the police and paramedics arrived, the pit bull was still in front of (Stone's) house," Const. Bill Baines said.

"The dog lunged at them and, fearing for their safety and for the safety of the paramedics, officers shot the dog."

Stone lives on Wahboose Circle on the Aamjiwnaang First Nation outside the city.

Police are still looking for the pit bull's owner.

"The school buses were all running late that day" Stone said.

"All the kids could have been out there if they weren't. I don't believe any dog is bad and I felt bad when I heard the gunshot, but there are two other families close to here with young children and grandchildren."

Stone kept her three daughters aged four, seven and eight home from school yesterday for a talk about dog safety when she returned from hospital.

"I feel bad for the poor little dog but he's got no future if he's going around biting people."

Baines said Stone was lucky.

"I'd say she was very fortunate. Had she fallen down and the dog continued to attack her, she could have gotten hurt a lot more or worse."

Municipal bylaws don't apply on the reserve, so police will speak to band officials about possible charges.

The province's stringent new rules on pit bull ownership are scheduled to take effect this fall.

twodogsandacat
May 31st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Her 15-year-old son poked at the dog so his mother could get inside, where she called police..........."The dog lunged at them and, fearing for their safety and for the safety of the paramedics, officers shot the dog."........"The school buses were all running late that day" Stone said.

"All the kids could have been out there if they weren't.
"I'd say she was very fortunate. Had she fallen down and the dog continued to attack her, she could have gotten hurt a lot more or worse."

This is one thing that really bugs me with pit bull stories. If, could, would, might have. When ever a pit bull is involved in an attack we hear how “it could have been worse if….”. The reality is…it wasn’t. In the recent Niagara attack “if it were a kid” was used. It wasn’t and with one dog related death each year in Canada but over 400 000 bites it is very unlikely that it would of, could of. .

A dog in heat was outside and a pit bull was loose. Stupid.

The comment "I feel bad for the poor little dog but he's got no future if he's going around biting people." I agree with.

If a kid falls of his bike we don;t say...if that was in a major intersection and if it were rush hour.....

lezzpezz
May 31st, 2005, 02:26 PM
I couldn't agree with you more.....all of the "what if's" don't make a dent in the reality of a dog in heat being there and a dog owner NOT there and being responsible!

greaterdane
May 31st, 2005, 02:46 PM
with all the what ifs why didnt they mention what if the dog werent in heat and what if it were spayed. I would like those what ifs and not the ones mentioned.

babyrocky1
May 31st, 2005, 11:16 PM
Does anyone think that the Pit bull was nuetered??? Nope didn't think so. Its too bad dogs cant sue their owners. :sad: