Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flea Treatment

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 11:43 AM
What flea treatment do you use for your dogs?

I was talking to my vet and she says Revolution.

Spencer is about 20lbs right now (6 Months old) so she suggested that I get the one for dogs who are 22lbs to 44lbs because by the end of the summer he will be too big for the smaller dosage.

Does this sound ok to do? I don't want to hurt him by giving him too much.

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Revolution also helps with worms and protects against heartworm. I assume your vet has done a heartworm bloodtest or is going to? The two pound difference will not hurt your puppy as they grow so quickly.

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 01:02 PM
She said that she doesn't need to do the test because he wasn't born last year. I am not sure what difference that makes but I assume that she knows what she's talking about.

Oh another question though, I have 2 indoor cats and have never had to treat them for fleas. Is it possible that if Spencer is treated, he could still carry them into the house and the cats will get it? I am not sure how Revolution really works.

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2005, 01:37 PM
http://www.revolution4dogs.com/content.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=RV&species=CN&sec=200

that's a link to the manufacturer's site which will be able to answer some of your questions.

I guess because your dog was not subjected to mosquitos last year then it is safe to say he has not been subjected to heartworm.

nymph
May 31st, 2005, 02:25 PM
My pup Diego (golden/lab x) is also on Revolution, also suggested by my vet.

My vet customized the dosage for Diego: for the first month he was on dosage for 10-20 lbs dogs, 2nd and 3rd month: 20-40 lbs, and from 4th month and on: 40-85 lbs.

Trinitie
May 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Is it possible that if Spencer is treated, he could still carry them into the house and the cats will get it?Fleas will hitch a ride on people, or animals. They're not picky. Once you have fleas in your home, they're much harder to get rid of. Been there, done that. It's not fun.

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 03:01 PM
So how do I keep them out? We had a flea problem when I was a kid and we had to leave for a day while my Dad sprayed the whole house with Raid. I REALLY don't want to have to do that.

Trinitie
May 31st, 2005, 03:17 PM
If it were me, I'd treat the cats too, just to be on the safe side. It's impossible to keep them out, but you can keep them from multiplying. Fleas will only bite people if there are too many fleas, and they're starving. "Some" fleas are normal in a house with pets. Keep your animals on flea treatments during the summer months and you shouldn't have a problem worth worrying about.