Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pushing past me to the door

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 09:30 AM
I should have seen this one comign but never thought of it.

my daughter has this horrible habit of shoving past me to go in the door when I have the stroller.

well now sam has picked up this habit as well, when its jsut me he doesnt do it

just when hes walking with me and my daughter.

so can the 2 of em be a pack like 2 dogs could be? at least in his eyes?

they are very close spend 90% of their time together.

how can i stop this behaviour from him, I scold my daughter but she continues, im trying to stop her from doing it

but how do i stop sam from doing things like this despite her not stopping, or stopping.

i put him in a sit, but he still seems to follow her lead, its a bit frustrating

Eleni

tenderfoot
May 31st, 2005, 11:09 AM
Yes, they are a sub-pack of two. how old is your daughter?
Instead of scolding as they are miss behaving, let's teach them proper door etiquette in advance.
Work with your daughter first and teach her that this is safe behavior and walks will not happen unless she can show you safe manners. Then tell her that you want her to help you teach the dog safe manners. This will give her a job and pride in herself that she can teach too.
Work on the door manners with the leash and no stroller. Teach the 'wait' at the door and do not let him past you unless he looks in your eyes. Then you can release him. Getting him to 'check in' with YOU not your daughter will solve a lot of this problem. Then do it with the leash and the stroller - as you are successful - and then bring your daughter into the picture.
All steps in the right direction, but don't jump ahead and miss a step or you will fail.
Also - engaging his brain throughout the day and getting him to "check in" with you before he does most anything will change the relationship for the better over all.

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 11:24 AM
Hope is 4

im gonna try your suggestions this afternoon.

ive tried to keep it as a no-no pushing past me thru the door because im worried they would get pushed over or driven over with the stroller unintentionally.

that and it sucks trying to get the strolled thru the door with kids/dog pushing by you heh.

one more question, should I discourage sam thinking of hope as being part of a pack with him?

till this point Ive thought it was good they are so close, however im beginning to rethink things a little now that they are getting into some bad habits together, that i wanna nip in the bud.

I think sam has gotta a bit more freedom then he should have lately because we have had a crazy schedual and ive been a bit more distracted

time to clue in a lil bit mroe for me im thinkin heh

Eleni

tenderfoot
May 31st, 2005, 08:25 PM
Hope needs to be a leader for Sam too - now this is tough because she really doesn't have her own ego yet. But it would be good for you to work with her telling him to sit, stay and down - you are always there to back it up but he needs to look to her as higher on the hierarchy ladder than he is.
You sound busy and, yes, that leads to trouble. The more recess Sam has the less he will listen to you and the more independant he will become. so as much as you can you need to engage him and put him to work.

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 08:56 PM
well I was speaking with my brother this afternoon to see if we could find a solution to the crazy schedual and not wanting to neglect sam.

my schedual is crazy for the next week and a half, so my brotehr has offered to come by and spend time with sam in teh afternoon, take him to the park, sit stay fetch roll over heel. all the things im working on but havent ALOT of time to practise with sam this week.

Im hopign that helps with the boredon factor of it all some.

I can also start letting Hope participate in some of the training times that we spend with sam.

sams a great dog, sometimes hes so well behaved we forget hes still in training and let it slip a little and then we see him act up a bit more. wich is whats going on a little in this case.

so time to readjust things a little and see where we go.

on a good note his neuter is on tuesday of next week, after that financial obligation we can move on to paying for his obedience :)

thanks for the advice im gonna try all the suggestions and see where we go from there

Eleni