Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found a tooth!

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 09:54 AM
We found a huge tooth on the floor this morning. We figure its either one of Belles (Cockerspaniel) far back molars or Shadows (German Shephard) Mid size molars. I know loosing teeth is normal for puppies but my dogs are 7 and 8 years old! We cant see which dog its from because they hate anyone opening and peeking in their mouths. They dont bite, just shake their heads and squirm alot and cover their teeth with their tongues.

Should I be concerned about this? Ther is no blood anywhere.

Thanks
Sarah

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 10:02 AM
Id be totally concerned, even if the tooth fell out and there is no blood. In the least id worry about the condition of the other teeth.

Id probably take them both into the vet for a check on their teeth, if one fell out im sure there is concern about decay on the others.

do they let you brush their teeth??

teeth are so important, its the only set they have so please make sure their other teeth arent in bad shape.

Eleni

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 10:17 AM
Id be totally concerned, even if the tooth fell out and there is no blood. In the least id worry about the condition of the other teeth.

Id probably take them both into the vet for a check on their teeth, if one fell out im sure there is concern about decay on the others.

do they let you brush their teeth??

teeth are so important, its the only set they have so please make sure their other teeth arent in bad shape.

Eleni

They dont even let us touch their mussels if they can help it. They would never let us touch their teeth or brush them, but we are sure to give them stuff to chew on to clean there teeth as best as possible. Shadows teeth are in terrible condition. We assume she was an outdoor dog on a reserve becasue all her teeth are nubs. The vet figures she might have been a rock chewer. We and our vet keep a close eye on her teeth to be sure the nerves are not showing. Our vet thought Belle was a couple years younger then she actually is because her teeth were in such good shape.

We will be taking Wolf in for a check up and his shots so I will bring them all in for the trip!

Thanks
Sarah

melanie
May 31st, 2005, 06:26 PM
dependign on the health of dog, its recent history and if all its teeth are falling out, depends on what to do, ring your vet for a chat i s my reccomendation, dont go in until you speak to them, it may save alot of wasted cash, do you ahve a vet dentist? they will give great advice also.

all dogs are different

after 9yrs charlie is missing her fair share of teeth. she has been to the animal dentist and he said ther is no problem or pain. apparently a dog has a natural ability to snap a tooth in half, which would occur in the wild. the dogs tooth structure allows a tooth to snap without exposing nerves and it wont hurt. charlie snapped one of the front teeth and no it was not from neglect o r poor health.

i asked my vet to remove the front one as it is a stub and looks grose, he said no and it would be a waste of money, he got a metal insturment like a dentist thing, and poked her tooth to prove it did not bother her and no reaction, she does not feel it at all. and he is not fussed. i do not brush her teeth, i used to , but the vet dentist told me not to bother if she has a good crunchy and healthy diet, after 9yrs the dentist says she does not need a scale even. (i thank all that crunchy brocolli and denta bones and such and the big thigh bone when she was young)).

recently i met a 7yo rottie. he has no teeth, jsut some stubbs and he is fine. one night he went out apparently to come home the next morning with a mouth full of blood and most of his teeth missing. his owner s have never figured out what hapened to him ( a good reason not to let them wandergrrr) but he is happy and healthy and eats well. being a rottie he has a pretty short life span onthe scale so the vet doubts it will ever have any effects on him. so all dogs are different.

if i were you i would ring my vet and have a chat first, also look around for a animal dentist for a chat also, vets are pretty good like that, well the ones i have delt with are. you cna ring and talk about the prob, if they think its serious they will advise you to come in, otherwise they will generally just give advice on what to do. i have saved alot of money by ringing first, instead of paying $70 to go there and have the vet tell me it is not a big issue. always try and ring first. let us know how you go