Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hypothiroidism

Natilly
May 30th, 2005, 11:13 PM
My sweet darling maltese terrier has been diagnosed with Hypothiroidism a month ago. She has been taking 1 & a Half tablet twice a day of Oroxine.I had her T4 and other hormones checked yesterday and the results came back good,meaning she reacted well to the treatment.I was told to continue to give her these tablets. But since she started taking them few new things have come up:her skin is all very dark brown, she drinks about 2 to 3 times more, her tummy has a very dry skin and is peeling. I was told to give her a 14 days treatment of antibiotics has she could have an allergy problem or infection. I am trying to find someone who would have had the same type of reactions as I am reluctant to give her again some antibiotics. She had a week of them a month ago following a gum/teeth infection. And I am not too kin on starting on again.I have been trying to find the disavantages of Oroxine, but alas, no success.Can anyone help me?Many thanks in advance

raingirl
May 31st, 2005, 10:28 AM
I found a few website stating that thyroid medications can cause dry thick itchy flakey skin in humans...could be the same for dogs. People who are hypotheyroid tent to have dryer skin than normal.

Maybe try supplmenting your dogs diet with some essential fatty acids like flax seed oil or salmon oil...few capsules a day or tsp in each meal.

SnowDancer
May 31st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Yes,you could definitely follow raingirl's suggestions. Also, suggest you watch naturally occurring sugars in certain vegetables/fruits that you may feed your dog. Sweet potato is one of them. I do fully understand that it is an ingredient used in many human grade dog foods - I know, my dog loves it. But freshly cooked sweet potatoes are high in sugar. My mini Dachshunds loved them, but vet warned me to keep to a minimun due to low thryroid in my little guys.

Princesss04
May 31st, 2005, 11:26 AM
I have hyperthyroid problem, I know I am a human but still I have dry skin if I do not lotion everyday and take care of it. So I am sure it would be the same in dogs as humans. :D

Lise
May 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
My beardie is hypo thyroid as well,she's on thyro tabs half twice a day,she lost coat all down her back,as well as extremely dry skin.It took about a month and a bit to notice much improvement her coat is now coming in and her skin is much better.I used an oatmeal shampoo on her which seemed to help too.don't supplement without checking with your vet since some interfere with meds.

Natilly
June 1st, 2005, 12:05 AM
I just want to say thank to everyone who gave me feed back. I actually talk to my vet this morning who said he agreed with me and that rather than give my little darling antibiotics , i had to put a mild natural lotion to calm the dryness of the skin and wait till the end of the week to see if it would be helping. I actually did not get a diagnosis from the previous vet and this morning, I got one from my vet.It just shows that you have really to stand up and ask for more then just a "quick fix by medication".I have decided as well to change her diet and put her on raw food with vegies for a while adding flax seed oil.My actual vet agreed and asked me to contact him at the end of this week to talk about any improvments. Apparently Tyroid problems are really fiddly! :eek:
I will keep you posted :love:
Many many thanks again. :grouphug: