Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sharing Food Bowls?

JDG
May 30th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Currently Marty and Minou both have their own food bowls. . .
(a blue one for marty, and purple for Minou! cheesy I know! ;) )

When I feed them their wet food they start off eating from their own bowls, but half way through eating they 'switch' bowls.

I've been watching their intake, and it appears that Marty is eating more than Minou. But Minou is serveral ounces more heavy than Marty (they get weighted every couple of days on our bathroom scale . . haha)

Should I worry about it (and perhaps feed them seperatly), its not like Minou is getting nothing, she is just getting less than her brother. . .or should I just put one bigger bowl out and let them duke it out??! :confused:

Lucky Rescue
May 30th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Cats always do this! They have "food envy" and can't stand seeing another cat getting something they think they might be missing out on.:p I had 3 big cats who would play "musical bowls" every time they ate.

I wouldn't worry about it!

JDG
May 30th, 2005, 07:34 PM
cool! Thanks for the reply Lucky. . .

. . .musical bowls. . .cute. . .I am going to use that line!

glasslass
May 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM
When Den-Den and Corky eat together, they eat all their own food. Then they check out the other's bowls and lick them clean. Mutual bowl washing?

Rita
May 31st, 2005, 10:56 AM
Our Boyz each have their own bowl and they all pretty much eat at the same speed so they finish at about the same time. Pippin will usually walk away when he is done, but Merri & Sam will check out the other bowls to see if there are any leftovers ;)

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 10:59 AM
my three cats do the same, it got really interesting when we started ahving to play portion control with the oldest because she got a bit pudgy.

part of it i find is the oldest cat gets the biggest portion[or maybe its because my oldest cat is a piggy] and then the younger ones share whats left.

but for the oldest cats health ive taken to feeding them all separately so that she gets the proper portion, and doesnt pig out.

Eleni