Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to ask the butcher.

SarahLynn123
May 30th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I am going to the butcher/meat cutter guy this week and am wondering what to ask for? I'm looking for some raw bones for the dogs to chew on. I have a Cockerpaniel, and German Shephard, and a Pomeranian.
Thanks
Sarah

Lucky Rescue
May 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM
You can ask for some marrow (also called shank or soup) bones, no longer than 4" to 6".

Knucklebones are good too!

Your dogs might a get a little loose stool the first time they have the marrow bones, but it usually goes away.

SarahLynn123
May 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Lucky!

melanie
May 30th, 2005, 05:36 PM
i dont know about the little ones, but that german shep will love you forever if you get a fresh thigh bone at the butcher, it is the bone shaped likethe one dino had in the flintstones cartoons about 20-30cm long. i would never give my germ shep anythign else for fear of accident or choke. the thigh bones are great, and they will spend hours and hours licking out all that healthy bone marrow and they are great for teeth. i used them for about 7yrs before my dog has an unrelated stick accident and could no longer have bones, and if she could i know she would be jsut stoked to have one again, she used to spend days in the yard with it., yum you will be a popular mum. :D and it is the best and most healthiest treat out there.

oh ahd in australia i pay about $1-$1.50 for a big one, so they are cheap and last ages.

SarahLynn123
May 30th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks so much. My Shephard will love it. Im thinking it will give them something to do when I start yard work next weekend. Shadow loves to play fetch especially when its the most inconvenient!

Thanks again!
Sarah

Daizy
May 31st, 2005, 11:15 AM
I don't know where you live, but if you live in Toronto and visit St. Lawrence Market they sell bones at the butchers there for just $2!

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 11:16 AM
NO WAY! I jsut called Safeway and they say $15 for all three. I think Im going to call around.
Thanks!

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 12:30 PM
i got a packageof 6 marrow bones from no frills for 6$ a few weeks ago, i also give them to sam frozen, they last longer that way for him

Eleni

Daisy's Owner
May 31st, 2005, 12:34 PM
I pay abour $2 for 3 or 4 fair size bones. That's pretty much a months worth. I get sick of looking at them. Depending on the size of the bones, they will literally last until you take them away.

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 12:48 PM
Depending on the size of the bones, they will literally last until you take them away.

I like this! I gave Shadow a huge smoked bone from the pet store, one bite and she shattered it. (They all went in the garbage)

Thanks Eleni for answering my question before I had a chnce to ask it!!!! I was going to ask if I can freeze them!

Im going to look around for cheaper places. $15 seems quite high.
Thanks
Sarah

MollysMommy
May 31st, 2005, 12:54 PM
What about bones for small dogs? I've never given her one because I hear things about splinters getting caught in little dogs throats. Is there anything available?

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 12:59 PM
What about bones for small dogs? I've never given her one because I hear things about splinters getting caught in little dogs throats. Is there anything available?

Im going to safeway at lunch, (am paying the $15 dollars) I will let you know how big they are. I ask for some small ones because I have an 8 pound Pomeranian, so I will post after lunch and let you know!!!

From what I have learned on this site raw bones are best!

Daisy's Owner
May 31st, 2005, 01:23 PM
Raw bones are the best. They won't splinter like cooked and smoked bones will.

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 03:08 PM
I picked up teh bones and the thigh looks just like something from the flinstones. The marrow bones are big (4-6 inches long) but Wolf can handle anything! He's a trooper.

Come the weekend they will be very busy!

Thanks everyone!

melanie
May 31st, 2005, 06:07 PM
before i was told it was a thigh bone i used to go to the butcher and ask for a bone like that one dino has, he always seemed to know what i meant :D

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2005, 06:19 PM
If you have a beef farmer near you, you can ask where they have the beef for their own freezer done up. Very often these guys have huge bags of bones that they sell for peanuts. You just have to be prepared to see large pieces of meat curing on hooks. Maybe not a good idea for the weak of stomach or vegetarians in the group. :o

kandy
May 31st, 2005, 06:36 PM
We get knucklebones for Parker from the butcher behind my hubby's shop. Hazel has tried chewing on them, but her teeth aren't quite strong enough yet.

MollysMommy
May 31st, 2005, 07:25 PM
I don't know if anyone has answered my question, but what kind of bones for a 6lb dog? Is that possible?