Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ocular herpes

badger
May 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Simon has ocular herpes in one eye. In the past, it has always cleared up within a couple of days but this time, for whatever reason, it has persisted. The surrounding tissue is swollen to the point where it is difficult to find the eyeball.

So we went to the vet last week and he was prescribed antibiotics and atropine for pain. After five days, there was no improvement. Last week, having read that some people get good results with Lysine, I started him on 500 mg a day in his food (he is eating normally and seems fine otherwise). So far, nothing has changed, although there are tiny fluctuations - sometimes it's open, sometimes shut tight; I imagine that light is an irritation. He's one of those cats who hates being messed with, so poking my fingers in his eye on a daily basis is already freaking him out.

Does anyone have experience with this?

raingirl
May 30th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Here is one site I found with info:

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/secArticles/cat/Ocular_herpes_in_Cats.asp

the antibiotics probably just got rid of any possible infection in there. Has you vet talked to you about anti-virals? I would think that might help...

Lysine takes months to show any effects I beleive, so I would keep with it always for the rest of the cats life just to combat the virus on a regular basis.

You might just have to wait out this outbreak and see what happens. Would lubrication help?? I saw some sites for the human version that recommend lubrication and eye wash to wash the eye to clear out debris and keep it from getting infected while the outbreak is there. I know Lubrithal is a good lubricant, but $22 a tube.

badger
May 30th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the link. I think you might be right, about just waiting it out, but it has gone on so long, I was beginning to worry about permanent damage. He doesn't paw at it or anything, so it can't be too painful. A friend recommended camomile eye baths. Listen, whatever works!
The vet was well acquainted with antivirals, but I think the antibiotics - as so often happens with humans - was more a stab in the dark.
So Lysine is the anti-viral I am giving him - 250 mgs twice a day in his food. I had heard that it CAN be curative but mostly it is preventive, and doesn't work in all cases.

Lucky Rescue
May 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Almost all cats harbour the feline herpes virus, and there is no cure. Flare ups occur when a cat's immune system is lowered, as would happen in the case of your cat who was a stray.

It's like cold sores (herpes simplex) in humans. We get flareups when we are stressed or overtired, but even without treatment they usually subside in a couple weeks.

Antibiotics are only helpful if any secondary bacterial infections occur.

If you haven't tried Rescue Remedy or Feliway for him, it might help.....

badger
May 30th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I think Willy's arrival has been stressful for both cats. Not that it is a huge problem, but it means my attention is more divided. Tempermentally they are all loners and rarely play together (although Simon and Badger are good pals and occasionally have a cuddle). Willy can also be a bit aggressive, having never been properly socialized when he was a kitten and then on the lam, but he is improving.

I'll try some RR, good idea.