Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten meowing and clawing at the door

monman
May 30th, 2005, 09:04 AM
So, Buster and Salty are now nearly 3 months old and are really loving, affectionate and healthy (they've been to their checkups). Salty seems to be more of the daddy's girl and loves being close by, while Buster is the independent one. The problem is, as of late, Salty constantly meows (cries?) and claws at the door and carpet when we go to bed. She gives up for a few minutes but then comes back and does it again. Needless to say, it's tough to fall asleep with the door scratching, meowing and carpet pulling happening by the door.

Is this normal behaviour? What's the best way to discourage/prevent this? Am I babying her too much?

Thanks!

Lucky Rescue
May 30th, 2005, 09:23 AM
YEs, this is normal behavior. She wants to be with you. However, many people (like me) do not want cats in the bed with them at night.

I can only tell you what I did to stop my cats from clawing and crying at my bedroom door. Both worked equally well!

1st method: Get a book. When the clawing starts, throw the book at the door. This will startle her and let her know unpleasant things happen when she does this. She won't know you did it, which is good.

2nd method: I used this one on a older cat of mine. Clawing and crying starts. Get up, open the door, pick up cat and without a word, quickly deposit her in the bathroom. This method should only be used when the clawing starts near dawn, so the cat won't be in the bathroom all night.

You just want to make a point that carrying on has unpleasant consequences. Since cats do only what pleases them, either of these methods should do the trick.

monman
May 31st, 2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestions...here's what happened when I tried them out:

1 - The meowing and clawing stopped when the loud bang happened, but they were back at the door in no time. This happened about a dozen times until I gave up.

2 - As soon as I pick them up and place them elsewhere, they always come back to the door and start again.

Any other suggestions??

SarahLynn123
May 31st, 2005, 10:53 AM
Have a couple oranges as a bed time snack an leave the peels scattered all over the floor by the door so they cant get near the door. They absolutly hate the smell of them.

If that doesn't work and you have a basement put them down there with a litter box, food and toys. I have those down there at all times so when my Charlie decides to be bad he can sleep down there.

Other then that Im out of ideas for now, if I think up anymore I will be sure to post!

Good luck!
Sarah

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 10:56 AM
mine arent allowed in teh room currently because of the baby sleeping in there, the way we changed this habit with them is when they come to the door and paw at it, i would squirt them from under the door with a water gun or squirt bottle.

its the same thinking lucky mentioned, unpleasnt things happen when you paw at the door and its more comfy to go off to your own bed to sleep.

do you provide comfy beds for them elsewhere in the house.

good luck

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2005, 11:32 AM
2 - As soon as I pick them up and place them elsewhere, they always come back to the door and start again.

I meant put them in the bathroom and CLOSE the door.:p Make sure they have a litterbox in there.

And yes, if you have a basement, you can make that their permanent nighttime place.

My last cat, Monstrose, had to be put in the basement every night for 18 years otherwise he WOULD come pounding at the bedroom door at 3:00a.m. :rolleyes:

happycats
May 31st, 2005, 01:50 PM
I used to run a line of tooth paste on the bottom of the door (the really minty kind) they hated the smell, and wouldn't come anywhere near it! They would actually run really fast when they had to go past the door :evil:

OMG I just noticed new :pawprint: :highfive: :fingerscr GREAT.

Oh sorry for going off topic :o