Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best Antivirus?

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 10:36 PM
What is the best antivirus out there, anybody know?

Mine has expired but they renewed me without my asking... My old computer had more viruses than programs so I'm a bit phobic of that... I haven't had any trouble in over a year so I really don't want to switch (mostly superstition).

Which ones do you guys believe in?

Cactus Flower
May 30th, 2005, 12:28 AM
www.trendmicro.com It's called PC-cillin.

I lost two hard drives while fully updated and "protected" by Nortons Antivirus. Never again.

Nothing has gotten through in the years since, on PC-Cillin.

twodogsandacat
May 30th, 2005, 06:33 AM
McAfee and Nortons share the top spot. The rest of the playing field is made up of players such as Trend, Computer Associates and Sophos.

The key no matter what product you use is to stay up to date (last years virus signatures won't help you) and to use real time scanning ( all files are scanned on access).

Use a spyware scanner as well such as Adware, Spybot or the new Microsoft Anti Spyware which is still beta (testing) but works great. Also make sure you are getting the Windows Updates.

raingirl
May 30th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I use Norton. I have used a bunch of others, but like Norton the best. I have never ever had a virus ever on any of my computers ever though...since I got my first 486 in 1994..so, 11 years virus free.

nymph
May 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I also use Norton, and Microsoft's freebie anti-spamware.

GsdDiamond
May 30th, 2005, 01:28 PM
As a rule...at work that is... we use all of the following items to keep computers clean:

McAfee
McAfee Personal Firewall for our laptops
SpySweeper
AdAware
Spybot

I've found that, at least personally, I don't like Norton's as they use too many system resources... and can bog a system down when a "on access" scan is happening.

There are other tools I use, but that gets away from your question. :D :D

Prin
May 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks. I don't like Norton. I got a virus on my old computer while opening a link on their website and I don't trust them...

McAffee is afiliated with Microsoft and I believe Microsoft puts out the majority of the viruses out there, so fight fire with fire right?

What about AVG? My dad has this free and I don't know about it..

twodogsandacat
May 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM
McAfee is not any more affiliated with Microsoft than Symantec (Nortons). Both are business partners as are many other anti virus vendors: http://www.microsoft.com/security/partners/antivirus.asp

Pick the one you like best and keep it up-to-date. It's all personal preference because in reality they are all the same. Symantec and McAfee have each sued each other for copyright infringement in the past.

wjranch
May 30th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I use AntiVir. It works extremely well and it's free! You can download it from here.....
http://www.majorgeeks.com/AntiVir_Personal_Edition_d955.html

Prin
May 30th, 2005, 08:46 PM
McAfee is not any more affiliated with Microsoft than Symantec (Nortons). Both are business partners as are many other anti virus vendorsAhhh. I thought because McAfee was the one used on Hotmail for the longest time, they were preferred....

twodogsandacat
May 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Ahhh. I thought because McAfee was the one used on Hotmail for the longest time, they were preferred....

I just checked my hotmail for attachments and they were scanned by Trend. I guess they spread it around. Microsoft is looking at releasing their own by the end of the year at a few bucks lower than the competion - if they don't get sued (the monopoly thing).