Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

doggy car seat

MollysMommy
May 29th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I love to take my toy poodle in the car with me...we travel a lot. The only problem I have is that I am torn between putting her in her kennel and sitting on a passenger's lap. I know that putting her in her kennel is safer, but she can't look out the window. I've been looking at dog car seats and I just don't know if they are practical and if dogs actually like them. Has anyone bought one and been satisfied with it? I don't want to buy her something she'll hate riding in.

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 09:07 PM
What about these?
http://www.kyjen.com/pettravelgear/page_02.shtml#deluxepetlookout
I had (Raingirl has) an Outward Hound Life Jacket, and I have the quick release backpack from them and I think they are awesome quality and construction. :) I obviously don't have the booster seat though. :) (Too small for Boo)

mafiaprincess
May 29th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I love outward hound products.. Stuff is starting to come in pink. :o

Never seen the booster seat in person.. but I loved the side sling, and the doggie snuggly until I realized my girl was the right weight, but was too big :cool:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 29th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I like the car booster seat I might definately get that when we get our dog or puppy, I think as far as the stroller I would just use my kids stroller... I think I may get some looks though walking my dog in a stroller. ;)

Jillybean
May 29th, 2005, 11:44 PM
We got the car seat for Suki-ann when she was a puppy but she didnt like it at all. She felt that she wasnt a part of the action when she was in it and whined the whole time she was in the car. It is a much safer way to travel though because it clips into their collar/harness and they can sit and look out the window because of the height and you dont need to worry about them jumping out or flying around when you have to hit the brakes.

MollysMommy
May 30th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I agree that it is safer because I am worried when I hit the brakes hard and she's in her kennel. I don't want her to fly around. What brand did you buy? And what kind exactly? There are quite a few kinds, ones that are like beds and one that is merely a "booster seat".

GunnerX
May 30th, 2005, 12:04 PM
What about a doggie seat belt attachment (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9741&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032883&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1117468935397)? We got ariel a seat belt harness (http://www.gunnerx.com/albums/ariel/IMG_2130.jpg) which attaches to the car's seat belt. I left just enough slack on the seatbelt so she can look out the windows. It also doubles as a harness that I can use to take her on her walk straight from the car.

MollysMommy
May 30th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Does the harness work for really small dogs? Molly is only 6.5lbs. She's really short too. I don't know if she'd be able to see out of the window if she was just sitting on the car seat.

savannah
May 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know where i can purchase these products? I live in the gta, so hopefully it wont be hard to find these products (carrier and booster seat)?
As for the stroller, we actually put my dog in a evenflo stroller, and since she is small she fits into the basket at the bottom, and it is so convenient and she loves it.

MollysMommy
May 30th, 2005, 01:04 PM
I ordered a Kyjen Outward Hound Pet Lookout Car Booster Seat. I chose this one because it rested on the seat and wasn't hanging in the air. I hope it will be fine. I guess I won't find out until I get it in the mail. I ordered it from http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pet-guys/-700603006470.html. It looks like there are lots of options from both yahoo and amazon.com.

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Superpet carries a good selection of outward hound products.. It was the only place locally I could find front carriers by them, and the side sling.

savannah
May 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Now i am getting a little bit too picky, but i refuse to shop at Superpet since although they are affiliated with the spca (the superpet i go to has adoption days for homeless ospca animals) they do also sell small animals, and i totally disagree with that.
I would rather spend more at a specialty store, then buy from any store that sells animals.
But i called my local specialty pet store, and i asked if they sold the outward bound dog booster seat, and she said no, because it is too complicated etc. She said the pet stowaway by fleximat is much better. This shop in Etobicoke is so informative, and they really research products before they carry it.
http://www.fleximat.com/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=94
Everyone's opinion is different though, but i really trust her, so i will be purchasing the pet stowaway.

Prin
May 30th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Wow that fleximat is so expensive!!! I paid less for Boo's new X-Large life jacket and life jackets are usually among the most expensive doggy accessories out there. Frankly, IMO a car seat for a doggy is not complicated enough to merit such a price tag.

savannah
May 31st, 2005, 12:00 PM
If you think $90 american is expensive for the fleximat, the store sells it for $170 canadian! I thought to myself, that is as much as i paid for my daughters car seat! Perhaps i should shop around for a better price? But my problem is i wont buy from a pet store that sells animals, so i have a limited selection of stores to go to.

:confused:

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 01:07 PM
If you think $90 american is expensive for the fleximat, the store sells it for $170 canadian! I thought to myself, that is as much as i paid for my daughters car seat! Perhaps i should shop around for a better price? But my problem is i wont buy from a pet store that sells animals, so i have a limited selection of stores to go to.

:confused:

Just a qestion, I am confused why you won't buy from a pet store who sells small animals. I understand cats and dogs because that means Puppy Mill but where else can you actually get a pet mouse or hamster? Just curious because I have never seen a place other than a pet store or Humane society to get small animals.

savannah
May 31st, 2005, 02:27 PM
First of all, most of it has to do with how i see the animals behaving in their tiny cages, and the saddest ones are the large birds (parrots etc.) held in small cages, with little interaction with staff and sometimes mean fingers probing at them through the cages, perhaps resulting in birds with behavioural problems.
This comes from the Superpet website
"We are very proud of our reputation as being the foremost bird retailer in Canada. Our buyers work with breeders across the continent to get the healthiest birds available and it shows in the selection and quality of birds on display in our stores. From $20 finches to $40,000 cockatoos..."
Oh really, that is why the last time i visited Superpet, their was a parrot that customer's referred to as "mental" since he was trying to keep himself entertained in his confinment. Even Peta has convinced Petco (where the pets die) to stop selling their large birds
http://www.peta.org/feat/PETCOAgreement/default.asp
Also from Petsmart
"Due to their relative affordability, many species of small pet can make a great first pet for a child."
Why is that? Because if a child steps on or neglects a hamster it is okay since he was cheap and easily replaceable?
Basically, to make a long story short, i don't agree with any broker (yes - pet stores who sell small animals etc are considered brokers in my books) who will sell any pet to any joe blow off the street just because he has enough money in his pocket.
They don't care about the pets they sell, all they care about is selling them and making a profit. Do you know of any pet stores who screen all of their potential animal purchasers and deny people if they are not a good match for the animal? Because I would love to know of such a store, as then i would perhaps find some hope..

I do agree with the pet stores (such as petvalu) who help find homes for homeless animals. I dont expect people to be as vigilant (or 'neurotic')as me when it comes to sympathizing for animals. But i do think my effort helps.

BeagleMum
May 31st, 2005, 03:20 PM
Well you do make a good point but I know as a child, I always had a hamster as a pet. If my parents had refused to shop at these stores then where would I have ever gotten a hamster? I don't think that I would have learned the responsibility of being a pet owner so young if it wasn't for Hermie (my hamster).

Both of the Petsmart stores in Ottawa also have cats from the Humane Society/SPCA which is why I like to support them. To me, they are trying to do good things by helping the shelters out and I like that.

The thing that really bothers me is seeing people going in and buying mice to feed to their snakes. Breaks my heart as I have had 4 pet mice in my life. :(

savannah
May 31st, 2005, 03:40 PM
I do believe that most humane society's have hamsters and small animals for adoption.
I don't want to get this post (or thread) too much off topic, but i do get delighted when i see pet stores (such as my local Petsmart) affiliated with SPCA's and sponsoring/allowing the spca to hold adopt-a-thons. That is a step in the right direction! but i still personally will not purchase from them until they completely remove the small animal section and only have homeless animals for adoption through local rescues/shelters.
btw, i have banned pet stores such as pj's etc a very long time ago, only recently have i decided not to purchase from the other pet stores which sell small animals. It was just a personal decision.
And i am also not trying to insinuate that all children that own hamsters, gerbils etc are neglectful. As luck would have it the ones i knew as a child were mean to their hamsters and would do things that made me sick :sad:

Prin
May 31st, 2005, 09:35 PM
I found out recently that there are breeders for pet rats. Probably there are hamster breeders too, but most parents don't bother looking. Pet stores aren't a place to buy any kind of living creature, unless what you want is a deadly bacteria.. :rolleyes: