Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lab - breathing, catching breath

maxs mom
May 29th, 2005, 06:55 PM
We have a 5yr lab, wonderful dog...He love to play ball but cannot leave his tennis ball alone. He will continue to play until he can no longer stand because he is breathing so fast he hyperventilates. I am wondering if this is asthma or another serious concern. He is not overweight, he will do this in cold or hot weather. After playing (when we take his ball), he will lay down and pant terribly - get up to get a drink and fall into his bowl, I have had to put a bag around his mouth to help him from hyperventilating too much...any insight would be appreciated. He has his next annual check up in two weeks - what should I be asking? Thanks!

Karin
May 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Why wait? Take him in now, call your vet.

Karin
May 29th, 2005, 08:11 PM
By the way, Please do not put a bag over his mouth....that only works in the movies...really.

maxs mom
May 31st, 2005, 08:02 AM
However, pets can hyperventilate just as humans do and putting a paper bag over their mouth assists them in breathing in the carbon dioxide that was "blown off" while hyperventilating. As for my dog, I have researched a bit and am going to have him checked for ashma. Thanks for your post. :)

Eleni
May 31st, 2005, 08:21 AM
if you knew the problem and what to do for it already why post asking for advice??

if your unwilling to even consider advice given then we cant help at all

and if my dog was panting excessively or hyperventilating as you say, he would ahve been to teh vet first instance of it happening.

breathing isnt something to wait on, if there is any change its important, and even mroe important for the vet to see the dog

Eleni

Safyre
May 31st, 2005, 09:02 AM
I think the poster was asking for advice on any specificquestions to ask the vet... probably wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

And the poster is right about the breathing into a bag when hyperventilating, for humans, its helps to ensure you are not going to pass out. I can't remember the full explaination, something about carbon dioxide and too much oxygen ... it was years ago when I was having panic attacks (w/ hyperventilating)

SnowDancer
May 31st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Personally, I would have gone to the vet first. And fast. Then joined the board once a diagnosis had been made to ask others how they had coped. A vet does not want to hear how you think the problem might be "X" because you asked the question on an Internet forum board - or in the case of your own health, that you diagnosed yourself by googling your symptoms. If the health problem is minor or you already know the diagnosis that is different, but I have seen some pretty scary questions on here - figure the poor pet wouldn't make it to the vet.

Karin
May 31st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Personally, I would have gone to the vet first. And fast. Then joined the board once a diagnosis had been made to ask others how they had coped. A vet does not want to hear how you think the problem might be "X" because you asked the question on an Internet forum board - or in the case of your own health, that you diagnosed yourself by googling your symptoms. If the health problem is minor or you already know the diagnosis that is different, but I have seen some pretty scary questions on here - figure the poor pet wouldn't make it to the vet.

Thankyou Snow Dancer.

Also, what works on humans (which understand more hopefully..) and then on a dog is two different things. Most dogs would freak if a bag was put on their face! So let's just scare the poor dog and create more anxiety...

SnowDancer
May 31st, 2005, 05:23 PM
You are welcome, Karin, And, I have a great vet - practice of 5 and open on Sundays.

db7
June 1st, 2005, 10:27 AM
http://thelabradorclub.com/library/eicstudy.html

SnowDancer
June 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM
Excellent article db7.