Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Annual Apartment Inspection?

raingirl
May 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Anyone ever heard of this? This is the first place I have lived that had an apartment inspection.

It's in two days, so today I have been running around cleaning things up, washing the walls, floors, etc.

They said that they will be "changing the filters" so to move any and all furniture away from any vents or we will be charged a fee. I don't know what they mean...which vents? The ones in the ceiling (not floor vents because we don't have those)? Or only the one in the heating unit? Two of the vents are above unmovable furniture, so I REALLY hope they don't mean those. One is behind the bed which we spent all weekend last week putting it together, and it's a canopy bed..the other is above our TV unit which is screwed to the wall.

JDG
May 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
When we lived in England we had appartment inspections every 3 months!!!
Its very common place in Europe.

They also charged us all sorts of things, like the land lord would charge us 'call out fees' for him to come to HIS property and fix HIS fridge etc!

We also had to provide a security deposit of 1 1/2 monthes rent up front!

We didn't put anything down when we rented our current appartment in Montreal. . .

Its all crap. . . .sooooo. .. .when are you going to buy that new house! ;) :crazy: :thumbs up

------

I'd suggest moving anything from infront of anything you think is a vent, better safe than sorry (or out of pocket because of a charge! :eek: )

Princesss04
May 29th, 2005, 06:55 PM
My friend lived in an apartment and they would come and check her twice a year! Anyway she had to move everything and I mean everything out from in front of the vents. Her boys bunck beds were unmovable without taking them apart so she decided to leave them and was charged $30 for leaving them! So I would say move it all!

melanie
May 29th, 2005, 06:57 PM
here in australia you ahve an inspection about every 4months. dont panic they are not checkng to see if your clean. they jsut generally weant to do an overall look through to make sure theer is no holes in the walls etc, and that your not trashing the place. dont wash the walls, they wont look and if they did that is fine, being normal is ok as a renter. yeah vacume and tidy, clean the loo ect, but dont go overboard.

i ahve my inspection next week, i will just make sure the house smells nice and that the carpets are vacumed, nothing big really. and you will be real cranky if you go over board, the inspections generally only last a few minutes and there is nothing worse then them not noticing yoru hard work, but that not why they are there. dont worry its perfectly normal, boy i have known ppl who wont even tidy up for the inspection, the realestate cannot do anything about it, your tidiness is in no way related to your ability to trash a house.

so stay calm, andi f they are charging you to change the vent things, well dont move the bloody furniture, if they were charging me i woudl have them movethe furniture, your paying for it remember. you have many rights as a tennant (often to the detriment of owners and investors), it may be worth getting a tenancy rental guide, you should have a rental board in yoru country, contact them for a copy. :D

Eleni
May 29th, 2005, 07:41 PM
here they do inspections, but its mainly fire&safety, and to be sure no one has destroyed the place

normal clenliness is not an issue.

they check smoke detectors, doors and such to make sure everything works and is up to firecode

Eleni

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Maybe they're coming back to rob you and they want the stuff pre-organized? :D

Our landlord doesn't even fix stuff thatwe say is broken, let alone come see if there is anything that might need fixing soon... We have a hole in our back door that you can see through, mold coming through the ceiling in 2 of the 4 rooms, a "mold monster" in another room, we've gone through over 30 lightbulbs in 3 light sockets... and on and on and on... He wouldn't set foot in here because he knows he'd never leave without spending thousands of dollars... :rolleyes:

Safyre
May 29th, 2005, 11:04 PM
I live in co-operative housing, and we do annual inspections.
The reason for the inspections, is to ensure you are not tearing the place a part, to documentany damages within the year that they have happened. They will make you aware of any changes in your apartment, so that you know what you need to fix/do before leaving the apartment.

Also, cleanliness is sometimes noted on a inspection, if there is NO cleanliness at all. Spoiled food on the counters, things leaky from fridges, foul odours from... everywhere. Thatw ould be noted.

As for moving things away from the vents.. i am unsure of why they would request this be done. I would move things away from the heating unit, and if they say anything, advise them they were not clear in thier meaning of 'vents'

sammiec
May 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM
We have yearly inspections as well. Not a big deal. They just come and check that their property is not being destroyed. I would do it too if I was a landlord!! LOL

They usually take that time to go in and change the filters in your HVAC unit. Kill two birds with one stone kinda thing I guess. We always have to remove items from infront of the ventilation system as well, just for access reasons.

Beaglemom
May 30th, 2005, 04:09 PM
They used to do yearly inspections at my husband's condo as well. He owned his unit, but every year the property management office would send someone out to change the filters of the HVAC unit and to check the smoke detectors.

Something else to consider if you are planning on buying a condo one day. They do send someone out to do this every year.

thetrapgirls
June 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I live in a nice apartment but with the worst landlords. I am the last person in the building who moved in with a cat and now they want me out so they can raise the rent by about 100/mth. I lived in the apartment for six years and after having to go to Residential Tenancy to get my toilet fixed they schedule an 'annual inspection". Two years later after having to go outside again to get my fridge fixed I had another annual inspection. I signed the report and then the super added some really nasty comments which were not true and I would never have agreed with. How do I fight this report as I am sure this is totally illegal. Fortunately, I took pictures of my place before she came and inspected. Oh by the way I am always on time with my rent and cleanliness was her biggie although she is no Martha Stewart and quite messy.