Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stud finder!!

raingirl
May 29th, 2005, 04:26 PM
So we finally find curtain rods and accessories that can be attached to the ceiling, not the wall so that we can put up black out curtains to help keep the apartment cool.

I pulled down the old curtains and curtain rod, and marked where I wanted the new fixtures, pull out the drill, and start drilling. The drill won't drill more than 1/4 inch then it hits something that we can't drill through. We even have concrete bits that we tried, and still we can't drill through it.

Any idea what is preventing us from drilling into it?? Would a stud finder find what is the problem?? I thought maybe it's a steal beam of some sort.

We tried moving the area I wanted them out 1 inch, and it's still solid. The old fixtures were "inside" the window frame (it's 9 inchs deep) so the curtains, because they were longer than the window, had a bump where the window frame ended, and they had to come over it to fall to the floor. I don't want that with my new ones. I want them flush with the wall!!

I don't know. Any ideas?

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Could there be a metal molding/frame around it? If you had only tried one, I would have thought it could be a fluke and you hit a screw (I did that once...)

raingirl
May 29th, 2005, 06:03 PM
We have new bits and everything, and it's a powerful drill! This is annoying. I hate this about apartment buildings. They aren't the same as regular houses. They have metal and concrete and all kinds of other things that drills "hate". I tried to put up a shelf above my TV, marked it and all, and the same thing! It was like drilling into...something undrillable. I would say it was like drilling into solid rock, but I have done that before and it wasn't as hard as this!

melanie
May 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM
hey deceptive post name, i thought you amy be supplying a nice web addres to help my single girl friends :p :D

Karin
May 29th, 2005, 09:20 PM
hey deceptive post name, i thought you amy be supplying a nice web addres to help my single girl friends :p :D

I was all eyes & ears...nothing to see here, moving on.

*sniff, sniff*

Safyre
May 29th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Melanie - lavalife.com is really popular ;-)

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 11:26 PM
LOL-- I grew up with a DIY dad, so when it said Stud Finder, I knew exactly what she meant... No romance in this girl's life... :rolleyes:

raingirl
May 30th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Hahah. You gals are hilarious!

No...no studs here. Hehehe

I think I will head over the HD today and see if they can help me. our windows in this apartment are so screwy. THey go all the way to the ceiling which I have never seen before, and they are so deep (9 inchs)...Grr...