Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How far can your cats jump?

Shamrock
May 29th, 2005, 03:04 PM
My newest adult cat Zack is a long, lean, and very agile (neutered) boy of 2.

He was used to going outdoors when I brought him home 3 months ago, was at first very restless and anxious to escape.
I've been taking the cats out into the back yard with me ( six foot fence) for supervised outings in this nice weather. This seems to satisfy him. But this is 'only" with my close supervison - no other times.

The problem - as it's been recently "very" warm temps. -we are leaving our upstairs bedroom windows open at night, for fresh air.
Now Zack is jumping out the windows while we are sleeping. Two nights ago, the banging of the window blinds woke us about 2AM, followed by the the "scritch- scritch" sound against the house as he made his leap. We were really suprised, and thought this was a fluke. :confused:
He did it again last night - so I see he is on to this now.

We will have to screen these windows- this is the LAST thing I want - him out at night, alone,so many dangers.I'll be sure of no more nightime escapes.

I'm just amazed, though- its got be nine or ten feet down. Its a wonder he didnt hurt himself.
My other two cats have been here for five years, and when the kids were small, we had other cats too. None have ever done this.

Are your cats super jumpers? :D

levimh
May 29th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I personally think cats are super jumpers. My cat was on my stair banister once and jumped all the way down to the middle of the stars (pretty far). I heard a crash (she landed on some stuff) and I ran to see. I was shocked and scared (that she'd hurt herself). She just walked away like nothing had happened....leaving me thinking the worst.

I think cats know how far/high they can jump and when they want...they will. :) You have a brave kitty on your hands.

iRONKNiGHT
May 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM
When Trixy goes into HyperMode indoors she can jump 5feet easy.. Hypermode kick's in around at around midnight..Kitty Ears turns backwards Clawz comes out for that extra traction..and then Rocket mode!!!

I remember When Trixy was 4 months old, she leaped about 6feet horizontally from the balcony onto the neighbor's house, then ran across his house and jumped off the roof and landed onto his lawn, about 12ft to 14ft...
i was so concerned about her safty.. but she was allright, i guess it was a game for her, as for me i almost had a heart attack.

chico2
May 29th, 2005, 05:10 PM
My Chico can jump from the floor to the top of a 5 foot tall armoire and he can also scale our 8 foot fence outside...the other two are a little too lazy to bother,but I don't doubt they too could jump if they needed to...
Cats are wonderful agile little panthers :D

JDG
May 29th, 2005, 05:28 PM
We live in an 8th floor apartment, so no jumping from our bedroom window for Marty and Minou!!

I don't know their full jumping abilities of my kittens. . . yet. hahaha. . . .

Minou can jump from one couch to the other across the room ( about 7 feet) which I think is pretty impressive.

Marty jumps up the walls, chasing the laser pointer dot - we figure he can jump about 5 feet straight up. . .

. . .I think I am going to have 2 really good jumpers and leapers (they are only 3 months old!) hahah!

Lissa
May 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Minnow can jump up pretty high too - although jumping down from her high perches is another story!!! She jumps about 5ft with ease onto my shoulder or my dresser. When she gets the crazies and runs around the house, she launches herself off the landing (6 stairs) and across the tile flooring (about 5 feet) all with that one jump from the top of the stairs! What's worse is that Dodger, my dog is being "trained" by Minnow to do the same!! Right now, he is working on launching himself from the 4th stair, across the tiles to the carpet!! He sounds like and elephant when he lands!!!

Melissa

AliSam
May 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Ali got out our bedroom window and jumped from our garage roof to the roof of the house next door. Unfortunately, coming back she missed and landed in the (soft luckily) grass below. She didn't hurt herself really. She limped for the evening and then was fine. After that, she didn't really jump from anywhere high anymore.