Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need info on adopting out of province

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I am currently looking at a English Cocker in Durham Ontario. I still need to find out more info on the dog he is young and house broken not too much other info given.
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4520616&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=4299ea870fb77840-app1&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

does anyone here know what is involved in transporting a dog, it would be to far for us to drive and I don't expect the owner to drive here or pay for shipping herself I believe it would be about a two days drive, so it would probably be less stress to send the dog by plane, although that seems pretty traumatic too. Any info would be helpful. By the way my hubby has agreed to let us get an ECS but he says it needs to be a rescue one.

:)

Writing4Fun
May 29th, 2005, 12:49 PM
What a handsome boy. :love: Love his colouring. I don't know about adopting out of Province, but I did drive from Montreal to Calgary one year, and it took 4 days. I presume a drive from the Durham region to BC would be just as long, maybe longer with a doggy on board who needs to stop more frequently. I'd think the plane would be a better bet. Good luck! :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
May 29th, 2005, 12:52 PM
You need to contact the rescue and see if they will do long distance adoptions. You would have to pay the airfare for the dog, and probably for the special kennel needed that is airline approved.

chocolatecoffee
May 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
What a cutie!

I shipped my dog up to Calgary from Las Vegas. We were going to go down and pick her up, but we had a friend that was down there so she came up with him. They wouldn't transport her in cargo since it was too cold (this was in January), so she flew with him since she's small and we didn't have any problems. There are a lot of stories going around about there not being enough oxygen in the cargo area, or it being too cold, etc., but I haven't heard of any problems. The only concern I would have is if luggage was lost, when I went to Vegas two months ago they lost my luggage and didn't find it for nearly 24 hours, that obviously wouldn't be very good for a dog. I know people that have shipped dogs before without incident. Here's a good website for information on restrictions: http://www.dogstory.net/shipping_your_puppies.htm. I know that Delta also has a division for Pet travel, however it only goes between certain cities and I don't think there were any connecting cities in BC, I might be wrong though. The dog I was looking into this for from Idaho would have had to stop three times, which just isn't fair to a dog. I think your best bet would be to call certain airlines, that's how I found most of my information (I think there's a certain type of plane that pets are allowed to fly in, due to the regulations, and they only have them going between certain cities).

There's always the option of setting up a transport too, where you divide the distance into legs and a lot of times volunteers step up to help with a transport.

Anyways, good luck! He's so adorable, I love that face.

raingirl
May 29th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Research, I sent you a PM.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I have contacted the owner to get more info on the dog, and also pet air to inquire about shipping fees. She seemed willing to ship the dog at my cost but has not given me much info on the dog. I am hesitant to get a dog that I cannot meet first, has anyone here done this before. The adoption fee is 250 plus shipping. Hubby does think it might be to far and would prefer to see a dog before adopting. He seems to think trying to find an ECS closer would be more reasonable, however we are still discussing the matter. He said he would be willing to drive as far as Washington, Alberta or Prince George or I guess I should say about 12 hours for the dog. We have also inquired to some breeders if they have older dog for adoption. We figured that a good breeder would require their adoptees to contact them if they could not keep thier dog for what ever reason.

chocolatecoffee
May 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I adopted my second dog without meeting her first and there were surprises, the 6-7 lbs. calm Maltese is an 11 lbs., Maltese X? that always wants to play, but we think she was neglected, maybe even abused before. Her teeth weren't taken care of properly either and she isn't very socialable when she first meets other dogs. Still, we couldn't be happier with her and we were lucky. However, that being said, I want to meet my next dog before I make such a huge commitment. I shipped mine in because we wanted a dog that really needed a home, and it had to be small (our first dog is scared of big dogs), and all those dogs get adopted quickly around here so we got one from elsewhere. If you're willing to drive that far for a dog, there's bound to be one come up that's really meant to be, it'll be worth the wait.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 29th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Well I have enough info now to know that this may not be a good idea, even if I do really want this breed of dog. I think I will stick with the ECS rescue site and keep in contact with the breeders in the area or at least keep an eye on dogs that are closer so we can view them first. I did have my hopes up temporarily on this one. :(

JDG
May 29th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I am hesitant to get a dog that I cannot meet first

I don't know if this has been suggested before, (or if this is a 'stooopid' suggestion), but how about meeting your prospective puppy dog via Webcam?

With programs like MSN or Skype, the call is free!

JDG
May 29th, 2005, 02:09 PM
opppps, I didn't see your reply!

I hope you find the puppy of your dreams soon then! :thumbs up

Shamrock
May 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Oh, sorry this isnt going to work, a disapointment for you.. very sweet dog.
I really do think it would be better to meet the adoptive dog first, get a "feel" for each other ahead of time.

I'm sure your perfect companion is out there - you will find each other! :thumbs up
You likely already have this link of BC rescues..
http://brindleweb.com/rescue/

Good luck with your search!

chocolatecoffee
May 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out, but the perfect dog for you is out there.

You might have seen this already, but there's an 8-year-old English Cocker Spaniel Mix in Redcliff, Alberta (about three hours southeast of Calgary) http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4508028&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=429a05c21ccb7482-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=. They'll probably update with a picture in a day or two, they usually do.

I'll keep my eye open for English Cocker Spaniels. Good luck!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 29th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I actually did enquire about this dog but she is actually an american mix cocker but thank you. Actually a lot of the rescues say they are English but they look american to me, the english ones have longer snouts and they're a bit bigger as well. I will keep my eye out I am sure one will show up sooner or later. :)

mona_b
May 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Not sure if this dog is still at Give a dog a second chance in Durham...But take a look at Poncho.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=ON168&preview=1

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2005, 12:26 PM
That's the dog they wanted to adopt that turned out to be an american cocker.

mona_b
May 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Ooops...somehow I deleted what I posted...Blonde moment.LOL

Ponch definately looks like an English Cocker to me......... :)